ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thoughts

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
Well, the good news is that after the game I had a great chicken cacciatore and an '07 Altamura cab so the day was not a complete loss.

The game was actually pretty boring in many respects. Neither team impressed me (and certainly not Pitt). Let me modify that by saying the defense played somewhat better then I expected, but then again, I expected Penn State to lay 40+ on us so holding them to 33 was a moral victory. The offense was putrid. Play calling was freakin aweful. Played not to lose as opposed to played to win. We looked scared all game to try anything down the field.

My grades:

Offensive Play Calling - D - simply horrible vanilla. Run on first down, run on second, throw a short out on third. Crap. Total crap, particularly in the red zone.

Defensive Play Calling - C - still too many blown assignments. On the Barkley touchdown, how can you ask a MLB to cover Barkley running down the seam with absolutely no safety help? Either someone blew an assignment, or the Defensive coordinator is on crack.

Max Browne - D- This guy stinks. Period. I don't care about his "big arm". Guy has no balls at all. Not a leader. Makes bad reads, inaccurate, can't move in the pocket. Honestly if this guy is the QB all year, we won't win 5 games.

Offensive Line - C - Overall, they opened holes at times, but pass blocking was poor.

Jones-Smith - F - my god, that guy is SLOW. He got beat again like a rented mule. Someone has got to take over at RT because Jones-Smith is terrible.

RB's - C+ - Ollison looked good. Everyone else looked pedestrian. What happened to AJ Davis?

WR's - C - didn't do much. Weah had some key drops. No one else really showed up although it's hard to tell given how crappy the play calling was plus Max 3 yard dink pass Browne didn't really throw the ball down field.

D-Line - C+ - thought they held their own and had at least a little pressure on the QB.

LB's - D - Brightwell got pancaked more then a few times. I said this before and I'll repeat - Brightwell is NOT a MLB. Too small, can't get off blocks. Would be much more effective on the outside. Zeise and Idowu were non factors.

DB's - C - Overall, our DB's weren't great but they weren't as bad as we are accustomed to.

Coaching - D- We were not ready to play this game. Our Offensive game plan was complete crap. Defensive plan was slightly better but still way too many times that we were in complete mismatches in terms of coverage. BTW - no surprise but Narduzzi already announced that Browne is his guy.... this will be his undoing... too damned stubborn to admit he's wrong. Keep starting the same guys...keep playing the same defense.... etc.

The bottom line is that we got thumped by a team that has better talent across the board. Narduzzi better get his shit together recruiting wise, because we lack play makers in many areas.

We are going to get thumped by OK St next week.

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer

Reactions: PittPoker
Well, the good news is that after the game I had a great chicken cacciatore and an '07 Altamura cab so the day was not a complete loss.

The game was actually pretty boring in many respects. Neither team impressed me (and certainly not Pitt). Let me modify that by saying the defense played somewhat better then I expected, but then again, I expected Penn State to lay 40+ on us so holding them to 33 was a moral victory. The offense was putrid. Play calling was freakin aweful. Played not to lose as opposed to played to win. We looked scared all game to try anything down the field.

My grades:

Offensive Play Calling - D - simply horrible vanilla. Run on first down, run on second, throw a short out on third. Crap. Total crap, particularly in the red zone.

Defensive Play Calling - C - still too many blown assignments. On the Barkley touchdown, how can you ask a MLB to cover Barkley running down the seam with absolutely no safety help? Either someone blew an assignment, or the Defensive coordinator is on crack.

Max Browne - D- This guy stinks. Period. I don't care about his "big arm". Guy has no balls at all. Not a leader. Makes bad reads, inaccurate, can't move in the pocket. Honestly if this guy is the QB all year, we won't win 5 games.

Offensive Line - C - Overall, they opened holes at times, but pass blocking was poor.

Jones-Smith - F - my god, that guy is SLOW. He got beat again like a rented mule. Someone has got to take over at RT because Jones-Smith is terrible.

RB's - C+ - Ollison looked good. Everyone else looked pedestrian. What happened to AJ Davis?

WR's - C - didn't do much. Weah had some key drops. No one else really showed up although it's hard to tell given how crappy the play calling was plus Max 3 yard dink pass Browne didn't really throw the ball down field.

D-Line - C+ - thought they held their own and had at least a little pressure on the QB.

LB's - D - Brightwell got pancaked more then a few times. I said this before and I'll repeat - Brightwell is NOT a MLB. Too small, can't get off blocks. Would be much more effective on the outside. Zeise and Idowu were non factors.

DB's - C - Overall, our DB's weren't great but they weren't as bad as we are accustomed to.

Coaching - D- We were not ready to play this game. Our Offensive game plan was complete crap. Defensive plan was slightly better but still way too many times that we were in complete mismatches in terms of coverage. BTW - no surprise but Narduzzi already announced that Browne is his guy.... this will be his undoing... too damned stubborn to admit he's wrong. Keep starting the same guys...keep playing the same defense.... etc.

The bottom line is that we got thumped by a team that has better talent across the board. Narduzzi better get his shit together recruiting wise, because we lack play makers in many areas.

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer

Typical Pitt fan after any loss. Total negative over reaction.

My grades:

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer

- Browne will start next week, but have a shorter leash.

- Defense only gave up 24 points... first 7 was effectively a pick-6 and the safety is on the office. You graded the defense too harshly. PSU is one of the best offenses in CFB. This was better than almost any defensive performance last season.

- the "we are going to get thumped" stuff gets old. Everybody thought we'd get thumped today, and the game was even at the line of scrimmage. We weren't over-matched. That's a silly hot take.

Whatever coach you would have will have trouble recruiting because you don't have your own stadium...

100% CORRECT! We had two idiots here , Nordy and Pedey, they really screwed stuff up before they left. A clown and a slick oil salesman.

My grades:

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer
You want to shorten the game when you are playing the #4 ranked team at their place. You want to run time off the clock. The coaching staff did a good job with their game plans. Are you for real?

You want to shorten the game when you are playing the #4 ranked team at their place. You want to run time off the clock. The coaching staff did a good job with their game plans. Are you for real?
You thought that was a good game plan? We gave ourselves no chance to win. Zero. We ran twice as many plays as them and lost. What good is shortening the game if you can't score? Chicken shit strategy.

Reactions: PittPoker

Agree with this for the most part, except the red zone play calling was horrid.

The Oklahoma St game is where they really need to control the clock.

- Browne will start next week, but have a shorter leash.

- Defense only gave up 24 points... first 7 was effectively a pick-6 and the safety is on the office. You graded the defense too harshly. PSU is one of the best offenses in CFB. This was better than almost any defensive performance last season.

- the "we are going to get thumped" stuff gets old. Everybody thought we'd get thumped today, and the game was even at the line of scrimmage. We weren't over-matched. That's a silly hot take.
Come back and talk to me next week. I say we get thumped. If we don't, I'll be thrilled. And BTW - this game was NEVER close. What the hell were you watching?

You thought that was a good game plan? We gave ourselves no chance to win. Zero. We ran twice as many plays as them and lost. What good is shortening the game if you can't score? Chicken shit strategy.
The play calling in the red zone could have been better, but overall they had a good offensive and defensive game plan. They were playing the #4 team in a hostile environment. We lost a lot of talent from last year, and had missing players on this current roster. Stop being a Chicken Little.

Reactions: pbrad and Mikefln

My grades:

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer
Way to harsh. Played a top 10 team(don't know if they are as good as their ranking but they are good) on the road, outgained them, controlled the ball and had more first downs. By your ratings they would have lost by 35 points. The big difference in the game was they have some explosive athletes in barkley, Mcsorley(running) and the Big TE and Pitt had 2 costly TO while PSU had one that didn't matter. Pitt won the LOS on offense and held their own on defense. Barkley was a non factor in the first half and finished with under 100 yards rushing. Really they played well except for a couple drops and TO. Browne isn't the answer but I don't know if they have anyone else thats ready either. This exact effort probably gets us to 7-5 for the season, which is about what I expected.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

That was not a good game plan at all. I liked the D much better, the O much worse , play calling awful

At the very least, I would like to see them use DiNucci as the Red Zone QB. I think this might help solve some of those issues.

Reactions: step.eng69
The game plan was effective in keeping Penn State off the field but you have to score points. I have not seen many 15 play drives that don't even reach field goal range.

Typical Pitt fan after any loss. Total negative over reaction.
I thought he was very accurate and detailed in describing the game and state of the program. And what do you expect people to be after a loss and an offense that looked terrible??

The play calling in the red zone could have been better, but overall they had a good offensive and defensive game plan. They were playing the #4 team in a hostile environment. We lost a lot of talent from last year, and had missing players on this current roster. Stop being a Chicken Little.
You are the personification of a Pitt apologist dude. Seriously, the red zone play calling "could have been better"? Are you for real? It was awful, terrible, disgraceful and any other negative adjective.
Idiot.

The game plan was fine. The execution was sketchy at times. We also need to reevaluate what we are doing in the red zone

PSU just has better athletes right now. They are much more capable of making explosive plays than we are. I'm just glad that McSorley sucked out loud today, or it could have been worse.

Controlling the clock only becomes a strategy when you're ahead. If you think controlling the clock was the game plan when we were down 2-3 scores in the second half, the better question is, are YOU for real?

At the very least, I would like to see them use DiNucci as the Red Zone QB. I think this might help solve some of those issues.
I think that would be a good move, as well as mixing DiNucci into drives situationally to take advantage of his feet and keep the defense guessing. Browne running-or attempting to run- that option look to the boundary was as awkward looking a play as you'll ever see.

My grades:

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer
Hopefully by now you jumped off the bridge. If not, don't take any chances with water.

Reactions: vikings1980
The game plan was fine. The execution was sketchy at times. We also need to reevaluate what we are doing in the red zone

PSU just has better athletes right now. They are much more capable of making explosive plays than we are. I'm just glad that McSorley sucked out loud today, or it could have been worse.

Those goal line calls were gems! That safety , I hope to see that a few more times this year

The game plan is what it is. You can't call plays that your QB can't make and your line can't block. PSU's D sold out to stop the jet sweep and we did a great job running dives and shovels off that look. In the red zone the PSU D went conservative and were able to beat our tackles and get pressure and string out running plays. Browne isn't decisive enough to beat a red zone D. We need a new RZ package with a wildcat or maybe go option. DiNucci stinks as well but may actually be effective in the RZ with some experience.

Browne doesn't seem to have the decision making ability to be great. Holds on too long. Not mobile at all
JJ Smith needs to play inside. Too slow for tackle.
No pass rush.
WR's and TE's need to hold on. Credit to PSU's db's, no easy catches in that game.

The running backs played better than expected.
The D as a whole played well. Were put in many bad spots/poor field position.
I think Weah and Clark will play better than this.
Our kicker got some mojo back. Happy to see that.
DiNucci can be a real weapon.

I'm not saying this team will win next week, but still think this team can win it's side of the ACC.

I give them videographer a F-. Cletus at the concession stand was solid. He earns a B+.

The guy who follows HCPN to pick up his head set was light years better than last season's guy. He gets a B+ as well.

Oh shit, my bad.....I thought this thread was for stupid post game thoughts. Dear god OP. You do realize we just played #4 ranked team in the country right? Get a grip.

They just were not ready as a team to win that kind of game. Collectively. Just too many kids who are first year starters.

Watson is not Canada. But, the biggest issue is that kids were not making plays. Weah dropped that deep ball, that would have made a big difference. Q was horrible overall. Those are the guys who have to make plays all game long for this team to win. Clark and Flanigan had drops.

My biggest beef was not using the forward pitch until the game was pretty much decided. This offense is two dimensional without, using those forward pitches and buck back runs rounds it out.

We saw some kids starting to get their legs under them. But, this season was never about PSU or OSU, because of breaking in so many starters. It was about getting past these two games, resetting for the ACC games.

As for Brightwell, Wirginis threw the monkey wrench into the LB corp. The lack of depth at MLB Nards inhereted, and his not getting a viable MLB in his first two classes left him to have to move Brightwell there for this season.

Barkley had some decent carries in the second half, but he didn't thrash or dominate the game. McSorley was underwhelming. What beat us yesterday is what beats many teams regardless if it's HS, College, or Pro: turnovers and very poor red zone play.

Reactions: Saboteur
Thoughts
The offensive game plan although not great was put in to limit the peds offensive time on the field and play to PITT's strengths, which aren't as good as the ped.

The D was much better than I expected, they held a Heismann candidate in check for most of the game. The TV commentaters called the pass play to Barkley early in the game and PITT could not cover. PITT tackled much better than last year.

The penalties were not good, the team overall has to be better here.

The peds have superior players overall so the game plan reflected that. Those of you who were saying you were hoping Franklin would be there for a long time will look back and hope he leaves because the man can recruit and all he has to do is let the assistants coach because the peds will pay whatever it takes to get and keep good coaches.

My grades:

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer
Pretty much spot on. The offensive play calling in the red zone was....offensive. It seems to me that they have no pass plays down field with more than one receiver. One of Browne's problems at USC was not looking off his primary receiver (see Sunseri) and it is apparent he has gotten no better. He either needs to show the big arm or it is time to move on for next year.

Hopefully by now you jumped off the bridge. If not, don't take any chances with water.
Hey sport, I've been watching Pitt football for 38 years so, much to your chagrin, I'm not going to be jumping off any bridges. I've seen far worse games then what we saw yesterday. I assess the game and the state of the program the way I see it. It's not always pretty. You are free to disagree and blow sunshine up everyone's ass.

Cruzer

My grades:

Let the excuses begin.

Cruzer

Well you guys may not agree with Cruzers post entirely, but one statement can't be found to be false. Jones-Smith is a liability to this team. He got burned two weeks in a row. With the number of potential RT's, surely we have a better option.

Well you guys may not agree with Cruzers post entirely, but one statement can't be found to be false. Jones-Smith is a liability to this team. He got burned two weeks in a row. With the number of potential RT's, surely we have a better option.
Need to get someone who can move his feet out there on the right side or any QB we put out there won't last a month. Also ourbRBs still seem to be struggling with their pass protection reads and responsibilities. Other than Davis They aren't rookies, so there is no excuse.

Hey sport, I've been watching Pitt football for 38 years so, much to your chagrin, I'm not going to be jumping off any bridges. I've seen far worse games then what we saw yesterday. I assess the game and the state of the program the way I see it. It's not always pretty. You are free to disagree and blow sunshine up everyone's ass.

Cruzer
Darn....you're still here.

Other than the screw-ups in the first three mins of the game PITT did well considering the loss of the dismissed losers!

Taleni, Blair

Whitehead, Wiggins

Non sports injuries: Moss, Tipton, Wiggins gets a double loser award!

I probably missed someone!

Add those guys back to the team and this might have been a W for PITT.

I hope this dogs Whitehead and Bookster when they attempt to go to the NFL.

Unfortunately this same story is likely to play out for the OSU game since the same losers will be missing again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT