ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Steen

thom67

Senior
Jul 4, 2001
What happened to Steen? He was the top recruit for Pitt until PSU stole him from Pitt. He has been terrible for PSU. He just got destroyed at Big 10’s in both matches. Looks like we were lucky PSU took him off our hands saving a nice chunk of scholarship money.

Reactions: lucac
I think going big ten was a bad decision for him. Confidence is a key piece to wrestling and being beat bad weekly in that brutal conference can be damaging to someone’s psyche.

I feel he would have been much better wrestling an ACC schedule. I am pretty happy with the jump Camacho made however and am more than happy to have him over Steen right now.

I can't remember who it was but when PSU swiped him and everyone was having a meltdown someone came on here and said they did us a favor. Maybe he will work out still but the matches I saw this year he looked way in over his head.

Reactions: DevilDog42
I was thinking of posting this as a topic actually while watching MAC and Big 12 tournaments.

Are we better with Camacho than Steen?
How about with Luca than McGill?
Casto or Kemmerer?
Stout or Cooley?

Seems we lost some decent prospects through the years that we may have been disappointed to lose, but ultimately it worked out for the better.

I was thinking of posting this as a topic actually while watching MAC and Big 12 tournaments.

Are we better with Camacho than Steen?
How about with Luca than McGill?
Casto or Kemmerer?
Stout or Cooley?

Seems we lost some decent prospects through the years that we may have been disappointed to lose, but ultimately it worked out for the better.
Pitt is a better dual team with Camacho but I am not sure Camacho will ever get to a level where he contributes many points at NCAAs so that is a bit of a wash.

The others are transfers and in most circumstances, the lesser talented wrestlers are the ones to leave so it is almost always positive.

The kid is still a red-shirt freshmen. Is Colton Camacho terrible because he went 0-2 in the ACC tournament as redshirt freshmen? Are schools lucky that didn't land him?

I wouldn’t go that far that Steen is a bust. He’s like every other high school wrestler that weighs 120 pounds coming into a college world. he’s not useful until 2 to 3 years when he puts on strength and weight. I’m not saying he’s going to be Spencer Lee in a couple years, but I would not be surprised if he’s fighting for All-American status.

The kid is still a red-shirt freshmen. Is Colton Camacho terrible because he went 0-2 in the ACC tournament as redshirt freshmen? Are schools lucky that didn't land him?
Steen did not just go 0-2. He got destroyed in both matches, not even competing. He also was a top 20 p4p recruit! I think Steen will be in the portal assuming Cael has another 125#er in the wings. Maybe Howard will get healthy Or a transfer comes to PSU.

Steen did not just go 0-2. He got destroyed in both matches, not even competing. He also was a top 20 p4p recruit! I think Steen will be in the portal assuming Cael has another 125#er in the wings. Maybe Howard will get healthy Or a transfer comes to PSU.
With the money we were going to give Steen it seems fortunate at this point that we didn’t end up with him. He’s definitely underperformed his HS pedigree so far.

He also had some baggage that we don’t have to deal with now as well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT