ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Trackers

I have two kids and own a Honda Odyssey. It has 96% of the same interior volume as the Expedition but it's only 96% as big. So they're basically equivalent in what they offer.

The Odyssey is also 18% lighter (means it stops more quickly), gets 11-18% better gas mileage and it's 40% cheaper out the door.

There's not really a question in my mind which is safer vehicle or the better value for the money. And for the rare instance when you literally can't live without that extra 4% of room, you can get a roof rack or rent a trailer. You'll probably save yourself $50,000 cost of ownership.
I’ve explained why minivans, which we’ve had two of, no longer work for us in a previous post. One sudden snow squall on our way up skiing was all it took. On top of that, my wife got sick of driving them because at a certain point when your kids aren’t little anymore, their practicality does not outweigh their lameness. Throw in year round school and travel sports, gear, carpooling other kids, and hauling back and forth at least once a month to a vacation home 4 hours away and you can start to see why we’re very happy with the Expedition, even thankful for it at times-like in the winter in northern Michigan.

On top of that, my wife got sick of driving them because at a certain point when your kids aren’t little anymore, their practicality does not outweigh their lameness.
I saw one anecdote about poor traction on a wintery road. No mention of the, likely many, times it performed just fine if you had a minivan for most of your kids' childhood. And we've been over the interior dimensions, which are practically identical between a minivan and an Expedition (or could be bridged by a roof rack).

So I think the crux of the issue is largely this quoted sentence. You and your wife prefer paying a 100% cost premium for an SUV over a largely identical experience in a minivan. And the rare circumstances that you set forth just don't apply to people living south of Virginia. None of the millions of large SUV owners in Georgia, Texas, or Florida have experienced snowy Michigan roads, they just have irrational preferences.

Not that much different from my 85 Suzuki Samuri and the Tracker, neither one is going to break any speed records but the Sammy is very comfortable in the mountains.

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
I hope this thread is a joke. Geo tracker? Ugliest car ever. I do love my GMC Yukon Denali Diesel though 😀

I hope this thread is a joke. Geo tracker? Ugliest car ever. I do love my GMC Yukon Denali Diesel though 😀

Most beautiful vehicle to ever grace the streets. A fleet of multi-colored Geo Trackers is as awe-inspiring as a majestic pack of Siberian Tigers traversing the snowy Russian landscape while the Northern Lights illuminate the background.

I have seen some outrageous takes on this board, but you, sir, now occupy the #1 spot!

• Love
Reactions: FreeportPanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT