ADVERTISEMENT

Gil Brown on Twitter that Salesi has been let go

That play makes me sick every single time I watch it. I don't think I will ever get over that.

That was so poorly defended all the way around by all players it is sickening. Absolutely sickening. I am not sure which player played it worse.

Dixon's defense on that play was pathetic. How do you allow Reynolds to get past him with only 5 seconds to play giving him a free run. That is an absolute no no even if you are trying to deny him the ball. He was so out of position it is crazy. How do you not stay between your guy and the hoop at that point in the game. The one thing you can't do there is let your guy get past you.

Sam Young...letting his guy dish it off to Reynolds and then making a pathetic attempt at cutting him off and basically just let him run by him for a free run to hoop.

Then you get to Blair who while it was a mismatch gave a pathetic attempt at stopping Reynolds and then maybe worst of all Brown at the end who simply puts his hands up allowing Reynolds to shoot a lay up.

Yeah, this play still bothers me all these years later. LOL.

Reactions: PPanthers1
That play makes me sick every single time I watch it. I don't think I will ever get over that.

That was so poorly defended all the way around by all players it is sickening. Absolutely sickening. I am not sure which player played it worse.

Dixon's defense on that play was pathetic. How do you allow Reynolds to get past him with only 5 seconds to play giving him a free run. That is an absolute no no even if you are trying to deny him the ball. He was so out of position it is crazy. How do you not stay between your guy and the hoop at that point in the game. The one thing you can't do there is let your guy get past you.

Sam Young...letting his guy dish it off to Reynolds and then making a pathetic attempt at cutting him off and basically just let him run by him for a free run to hoop.

Then you get to Blair who while it was a mismatch gave a pathetic attempt at stopping Reynolds and then maybe worst of all Brown at the end who simply puts his hands up allowing Reynolds to shoot a lay up.

It looks like they were scared to death of fouling Reynolds.

It looks like they were scared to death of fouling Reynolds.

Nova was something like 21-22 from the line for the game, but even though he had a tough shot, it was from 2 feet away. Foul him earlier and give yourself some time on the clock to set up a shot.

Also, I agree with what someone said regarding Dixon. Never allow the offensive player the ability to go towards his basket to receive either the inbounds pass or a pass at the end of a game. Make him catch the ball going away from his basket and he doesn’t have momentum forward. He would have either run out of time or the shot would have not been from point blank range. Reynolds had a clear lane down the sideline as Dixon wrapped around to front him after the pass was already thrown.

Last edited:
Nova was something like 21-22 from the line for the game, but even though he had a tough shot, it was from 2 feet away. Foul him earlier and give yourself some time on the clock to set up a shot.

Also, I agree with what someone said regarding Dixon. Never allow the offensive player the ability to go towards his basket to receive either the inbounds pass or a pass at the end of a game. Make him catch the ball going away from his basket and he doesn’t have momentum forward. He would have either run out of time or the shot would have not been from point blank range. Reynolds had a clear lane down the sideline as Dixon wrapped around to front him after the pass was already thrown.

You're absolutely right. Dixon makes a halfhearted attempt at denial. No way you
play denial (ball-you-man) in THAT situation. Bottom line, players are coached to
make your man go to the ball, and put it on the floor. Take away the dribble after that.
Dixon does none of this.

Last edited:

Jermaine Dixon was the main culprit. Overplaying to prevent the inbound allowing Reynolds a free break after taking the pass.

Jermaine Dixon was the main culprit. Overplaying to prevent the inbound allowing Reynolds a free break after taking the pass.
This is 100% the reason it happened. Dixon tried to deny the inbounds, instead of keeping himself between Reynolds and the basket. If he plays it right, Reynolds is taking a 30 footer. Now sometimes 30 footers go in (ask Houston), but if that happens, it just wasn't your day. I don't put much blame on Brown, he was in an awful position. If he defends more aggressively, the whistle is blowing, and we're calling him an idiot for fouling in that position.

No doubt. Just awful defense or total lack of understanding the situation by him.
He also missed the second foul shot against Butler that would have won the game. Gilbert's problems were not physical but mental; easily intimidated by Butler's Mack who wolfed at him before the free throws. One of the dumbest of Dixon's players; right up there with Nasir Robinson and a reason I realized that Pitt would never get to the Final Four with Dixon's recruits. Never been to a Pitt BB game since!!

Let us not forget 40 seconds earlier Dixon picking up his dribble right after crossing mid court line, being trapped and turning ball over. I did not like Dixon as a player ( he lived off brother’s reputation).

Let us not forget 40 seconds earlier Dixon picking up his dribble right after crossing mid court line, being trapped and turning ball over. I did not like Dixon as a player ( he lived off brother’s reputation).
That was the play of the game. Pitt had the lead and the ball and Dixon mindlessly dribbled over the time line into a trap that Nova wasn’t actively trying to execute. If Pitt scores on that possession they go to the Final Four.

That was the play of the game. Pitt had the lead and the ball and Dixon mindlessly dribbled over the time line into a trap that Nova wasn’t actively trying to execute. If Pitt scores on that possession they go to the Final Four.
Hard to imagine Jamie couldn't have found a better player. Both RMU, and Duquesne had better shooting guards than Pitt did that year. Jeremy Chappell was NEC player of the year, and has had a very nice career in Europe, and Aaron Jackson is in the NBA. Jamie couldn't get a player of that level to come to Pitt?

Reactions: kanst25
He also missed the second foul shot against Butler that would have won the game. Gilbert's problems were not physical but mental; easily intimidated by Butler's Mack who wolfed at him before the free throws. One of the dumbest of Dixon's players; right up there with Nasir Robinson and a reason I realized that Pitt would never get to the Final Four with Dixon's recruits. Never been to a Pitt BB game since!!

I have to stick up for Brown here a little in the Butler game. Let's not forget that he made the first critical foul shot to tie that game. In that moment it SHOULD have been, worst case, we go to OT. In that situation, 249 times out of 250, you're not losing in regulation. Nasir gets the preponderance of the blame for how the last 2 seconds of that game went. And Gil was our leading scorer in that Butler game. When Gibbs went quiet in the 2nd half it was Gil that kept us in it. He played a good game, missed one foul shot, and then Nasir unloaded perhaps the biggest bonehead play in tournament history.

I blame Jermaine Dixon more than Gil for the Villanova loss too. The way that game was officiated and the way Nova was shooting FTs that day, we needed a better defensive effort farther up the court. Once Reynolds had advanced that far, we were in trouble.

Reactions: below0w
I blame Jermaine Dixon more than Gil for the Villanova loss too. The way that game was officiated and the way Nova was shooting FTs that day, we needed a better defensive effort farther up the court. Once Reynolds had advanced that far, we were in trouble.

Gil was far down the list of players to blame in the last seconds of the Nova game. Jermaine Dixon 1st, maybe Sam Young 2nd, and I'd probably put Blair 3rd. The fact that the entire team watched him dribble past them makes it worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT