ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on the wrestling coach search...

Great article. Thanks. I didn't know Lehigh was that expensive. Are the wrestling facilities still at Trees or are they at Peterson Center and what are they like?

Reactions: steelton
Great article. Thanks. I didn't know Lehigh was that expensive. Are the wrestling facilities still at Trees or are they at Peterson Center and what are they like?

Fitz...and they're likely to stay there. I think Fitz's wresting facilities would be the target of any upgrades.

Good article - it is up to the boosters to step up like the article said.

That is what Pitt needs. A 18000 seat wrestling only arena. Maybe allow the gymnastics team also use it.

I think the article perfectly summarizes the difference between Santoro and Flynn. Santoro is a proven recruiter and great coach, who gets it done regularly at Lehigh. Flynn hasn't been able to recruit top talent to Edinboro, but does a good job with what he has. I remember one year Flynn got his 126 pounder from a video the kid sent around. He was from somewhere in New England and Flynn liked the video. The kid turned out to be a good wrestler and won the Easterns, but I don't believe he was a major factor at the NCAAs.

Pitt needs the guy who can recruit the #4 class nationally and can regularly produce multiple All-Americans.

Reactions: cabe23
Think whatever you like. He was going to take it. Things were delayed and he didn't like some other things about how things were going. Lehigh wanted to keep their coach so they made their offer and he took. You snooze you lose.

Reactions: singregardless
Think whatever you like. He was going to take it. Things were delayed and he didn't like some other things about how things were going. Lehigh wanted to keep their coach so they made their offer and he took. You snooze you lose.
What other things? Salary? Facility Upgrades?

He articulated to his team what it would take.

Pitt apparently wasn't even really able to show him their facility plans, etc. Shocking, I know.

He left the interview without an offer.

Lehigh wrestling boosters did rally behind him, but it sounds like Pitt dropped the ball. Shocking!

Not a good look for Pitt. Sound like they need to get their sh** together, IMHO.

Last edited:
If true, this is a terrible start to the Lake era. I heard she was back at EMU closing loose ends this week, but she needed to be at Pitt. This is now her job.

Reactions: bwh05
All I'll say is that we had our chance and we blew it. We drug our feet & a couple other things that made Pat reconsider

If this is true (no offer, Lake not even here) - I'm steaming mad. This is junior varsity BS. Also shows she has NO interest in improving the wrestling program.

All I'll say is that we had our chance and we blew it. We drug our feet & a couple other things that made Pat reconsider

If there were things Pat didn't like about the direction or commitment to the program, we should all be concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelton
I heard Flynn is taking it which lets face it, isn't a total loss.

As good of a coach as he could be at Pitt, it's not exactly a big win to pull someone from a university that is literally in its death throes.

Last edited:
No, but maybe it works out for the best
If Santoro was not offered the job, then who is to say Flynn was not the first choice of Lyke?

Do u disagree that Flynn has a more impressive resume?

No, but maybe it works out for the best

Let's hope.

I know she is new on the job, but this is very disconcerting if she wasn't participating in interviews. In fact, I'd say it is flat out negligent.

That said, I have no idea if she was or was not. I didn't get any info on that.

She participated but it slowed down the process. Plus she wanted to consider other candidates and it scared off Santoro.

She participated but it slowed down the process. Plus she wanted to consider other candidates and it scared off Santoro.

My understanding is the internal candidates were later in the week. Those should have been courtesy interviews. You have to identify your primary target and go after him. They aren't interviewing a bunch of DII coaches desperate to work at Pitt as if it is some sort of career stamping juggernaught. This was a highly accomplish coach at a program with superior achievement and backing. Smacks of not knowing what the heck they are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT