ADVERTISEMENT

Good Draft day for Pitt

When you think 10 made a deal to play pro out of say the average 20 you get on a team that great

That is petty impressive this year six drafted and four free agents. Ten players going to pro camps that's all you can ask for. Should help recruiting I would think. If Paris played like 2019 and Pickett entered the draft probably 8 drafted but that is great for the program. A lot of positives going on for the football program this off season. H2P!

That is petty impressive this year six drafted and four free agents. Ten players going to pro camps that's all you can ask for. Should help recruiting I would think. If Paris played like 2019 and Pickett entered the draft probably 8 drafted but that is great for the program. A lot of positives going on for the football program this off season. H2P!
Good points w/ Ford and Pickett

Narduzzi can't recruit...
What I think is interesting is the players drafted were developed. Consider Rashad Weaver as a 2 star(correct me if I am wrong). They develop their recruits well on defense. It’s a testament to the coaching staff, particularly Partridge(D-line and Narduzzi(always good for sending someone from the secondary). Then there is Jimmy Morrissey the walk-on. Had several offensive line coaches and offensive coordinators thoughout his tenure. I wonder how much better he could have gotten given his work ethic surrounded by a better system.

In order drafted:
Patrick Jones II 3 star
Rashad Weaver 3 star
Jason Pinnock 3 star
Twyman 3 star
Hamlin 4 star
Morrissey 0 star

Undrafted
Ford 4 star
Hargrove 3 star(recruited as D end)
Turner 3 star(via transfer)
Kessman 2 star(do the stars matter for a kicker?)

This draft says little about the ability of this program to recruit talent other than their ability ability to develop talent that they recruit. It’s a paradox that a 4-star recruit like Paris Ford can’t get drafted and Damar Hamlin is a 6th rounder.

Recruiting rankings seem to translate into higher likelihood of getting drafted, but from star to star ranking there is plenty of variability in who gets drafted where. For instance, I continue to believe that a 3-5 star in the Northeast is far different than a 3-5 star from the South. Just look at the disparity between Florida/Georgia high school football investment vs PA/NJ. It’s an imperfect science, and one I am happy to ignore as it pertains to Pitt.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Great point. Very impressive

all of this clearly shows it doesn’t matter where you go to school to get drafted it matters what your workout numbers are. Look at the guy from ups that had zippo sacks yet ran fast and snuck in the first round. These guys almost never pan out, but it still happens alllllll the time

Great job by the staff in spotting talent and developing it. I really think this current staff is a good blend of experience and young hungry coaches.However with that being said its imperative that we translate these attributes into wins and more offensive talent being drafted. Finally our schedule in ooc games is favorable and with the veterans on offense and talented defenders ready to make their mark we have to get away from these dreadful five loss seasons. I am hopinf a nine win regular season. If we can attain this our recruiting will be through the ceiling.

With all that talent, you'd think we might win more than 6 games.

Twyman was supposed to be the best prospect? Did he hurt himself by sitting out?

Right. It’s a very odd argument.

“This heavy upperclassmen team had 6 players drafted, so Narduzzi is a great recruiter.”

Does anybody really think last year’s team was just oozing with a ton of talent? If you do, that speaks to Narduzzi as a coach I guess.
But in reality, the team needed a sh*t ton of more talent. Particularly on offense. We were ACC bottom tier in offensive talent. There’s just not a lot of players that would start for most ACC teams.
Looking at the draft picks as evidence of Narduzzi’s ability to recruit is pure tunnel vision.

Why is that? You think teams win with a couple guys? It’s a team sport, taking marginal recruits and coaching them up is great but doesn’t mean you’ll always win close games.

Pitt and PSU had the same number drafted and we had a better record

One of these days our NFL talent will come from enough positions that Pitt actually has a complete team......I'm convinced it will happen, having been here for the last Golden Era in the late 70's early 80's. Hope springs eternal even when you're getting old........

Why is that? You think teams win with a couple guys? It’s a team sport, taking marginal recruits and coaching them up is great but doesn’t mean you’ll always win close games.

Pitt and PSU had the same number drafted and we had a better record

Then the draft can’t be used to prove Narduzzi can recruit. His defenders can’t have it both ways.

“Look at the draft, he’s such a good recruiter.”

“He hasn’t been able to bring in enough talent across positions to field a good team.”

Only one of those two things can be true.

Then the draft can’t be used to prove Narduzzi can recruit. His defenders can’t have it both ways.

“He hasn’t been able to bring in enough talent across positions to field a good team.”

No Pitt Coach since Jackie Sherrill has fielded a "Good Team" from a national perspective.

Yeah the recruit rankings do that and he is the best Pitt coach in recent history

Reactions: FIVE4PITT

He’s a decent coach and recruiter. Hopefully he can step it up a notch and we can win 9 games this year. Pitt isn’t the easiest place to win. You are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

He’s a decent coach and recruiter. Hopefully he can step it up a notch and we can win 9 games this year. Pitt isn’t the easiest place to win. You are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Huh? I’m not the one that keeps using the draft to flex about Narduzzi’s recruiting might. I didn’t start the thread. What’s making this more complicated than it needs to be is the mental hoops his defenders are going through in this thread.

“He’s a great recruiter, look at the draft. The only reason why his record sucks is because there are some positions on the team that he’s recruited like sh*t, so there’s an imbalance on the team.”

That’s not me saying that. That’s essentially what people in this thread are saying. And there’s where things get complicated.

No Pitt Coach since Jackie Sherrill has fielded a "Good Team" from a national perspective.

That’s fine, but then I’m not sure what is the point of the thread?

Your argument is just another example of having your caking and eating it too.

Thank god someone on this board got the not so subtle implication of the comment.

Pitt had 6 players drafted. That included a 3rd, 4th, 5th and two 6th rounders - all on defense. The only offensive player taken was former walk on center Jimmy Morrissey in the 7th.

No matter your opinion of Narduzzi, I’d say that about perfectly represents his recruiting and tenure. A bunch of, not super, but very solid defensive players and a virtual black hole on offense.

If you recall Coach Chryst was a black hole on defense. He did not recruit defense well hardly any dbs in his tenure. Pitt needs to get both at the same time plus good special teams play. This years team might be the closest to having all three phases of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT