ADVERTISEMENT

Half the WVU bball team tests positive for COVID

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Well, close to half. 5 of them plus a staff member. Man, that's a high ratio. Assuming they all return to full health, getting that much exposure before the season probably helps them as morbid as that sounds.

Well, close to half. 5 of them plus a staff member. Man, that's a high ratio. Assuming they all return to full health, getting that much exposure before the season probably helps them as morbid as that sounds.
It isn’t morbid. The chicken pox party concept was sound. But for spreading them to old people. So are covid parties. Putting colleges in a bubble and letting the profs deliver lectures by video with on-hand TAs may be the best thing we can do.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
It isn’t morbid. The chicken pox party concept was sound. But for spreading them to old people. So are covid parties. Putting colleges in a bubble and letting the profs deliver lectures by video with on-hand TAs may be the best thing we can do.

Does chicken pox spread to your brain or cause permanent lung scarring in an unknown but substantial number of cases? I'm not sure but covid-19 does.

Does chicken pox spread to your brain or cause permanent lung scarring in an unknown but substantial number of cases? I'm not sure but covid-19 does.
Just about every disease has some bad outlier results. Including the “regular flu” that kills 80,000 Americans per year, heart attacks that kill 650,000 per year and others.

Just about every disease has some bad outlier results. Including the “regular flu” that kills 80,000 Americans per year, heart attacks that kill 650,000 per year and others.

The scary thing is we are learning pulmonary fibrosis is not an outlier

I agree covid sucks. It isn’t chicken pox. It is worst than the flu. I also don’t am not optimistic that we are going to get a vaccine anytime soon. In my opinion, herd immunity is our best bet. I am in my 40s. Have a risk factor. I am not there yet, but my best bet may well be to get it now rather than later.

I agree covid sucks. It isn’t chicken pox. It is worst than the flu. I also don’t am not optimistic that we are going to get a vaccine anytime soon. In my opinion, herd immunity is our best bet. I am in my 40s. Have a risk factor. I am not there yet, but my best bet may well be to get it now rather than later.

It’s not yet known if being infected confers long term immunity. Some studies post infection show T cells which is good. Others say antibodies are gone in a few months which is not good. So herd immunity is no safe bet either at the moment.

It’s not yet known if being infected confers long term immunity. Some studies post infection show T cells which is good. Others say antibodies are gone in a few months which is not good. So herd immunity is no safe bet either at the moment.
I agree. Short of a real complete lockdown or a vaccine - which may never arrive - I don’t have a good answer. This half-living crap to put off the inevitable just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

And yes, I am wearing a mask. In general, I am social distancing. I don’t go to restaurants or other indoor gatherings. At this point, I am willing to accept the risks that boxing brings because for both me and my daughter, the mental health benefits outweigh the covid risks. Does this make me selfish? Yes.

early evidence is that you can get it again after 3-ish months. this isn't hard science but that's what the best evidence so far. so you don't want it once, thinking you're safe moving forward.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
early evidence is that you can get it again after 3-ish months. this isn't hard science but that's what the best evidence so far. so you don't want it once, thinking you're safe moving forward.

If that’s true (not saying you’re wrong I’m no scientist) how would a vaccine work? To me, it seems you would need a dose every 3 months then. Am I wrong?

If that is the case, our only answer is a real, but planned lockdown. One where all stockpile food and medicine then stay in place or make a one-way trip to a hospital. Police stay at the station. Anyone out gets a one way trip to jail.

If that is the case, our only answer is a real, but planned lockdown. One where all stockpile food and medicine then stay in place or make a one-way trip to a hospital. Police stay at the station. Anyone out gets a one way trip to jail.

when wuhan was in the worst parts of it, there was video of the police grabbing non-mask wearing people off the street and tossing them in a paddy wagon (probably never seen again). kind of funny to watch (yeah, i know that sounds weird).

#1: if we all stayed locked down for 14-21 days, we'd be out of it.
#2: #1 won't ever happen. but we can live with it if we wear masks, test, and trace. but that won't happen either.
#3 we're never getting out of this b/c americans are idiots.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
If that’s true (not saying you’re wrong I’m no scientist) how would a vaccine work? To me, it seems you would need a dose every 3 months then. Am I wrong?

no clue. i am no expert on vaccines.

when wuhan was in the worst parts of it, there was video of the police grabbing non-mask wearing people off the street and tossing them in a paddy wagon (probably never seen again). kind of funny to watch (yeah, i know that sounds weird).

#1: if we all stayed locked down for 14-21 days, we'd be out of it.
#2: #1 won't ever happen. but we can live with it if we wear masks, test, and trace. but that won't happen either.
#3 we're never getting out of this b/c americans are idiots.

YEP on #3.

If there is no vaccine, I dont see how the world could ever return to pre-Corona life. The virus is 2-3 times more contagious than the flu and while yes, young people arent going to die, enough people would get sick and enough old people would die that life would never be the same so there better be a vaccine. I think there will be.

Of course
Simply getting a varicella vaccine is a far safer method

I can see people who consider putting on a mask oppression and tyranny going for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT