ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to say "Pitt is so cheap!" with these new salary rankings

MarshallGoldberg

All Conference
Oct 23, 2017

Narduzzi the 2nd highest paid coach in the ACC behind only Dabo; Capel is 5th. Finally this year we got to see Stallings and McConnell-Serio dropped from the financial report.

The truth is that Pitt has paid both their football and basketball coaches well for a number of years, especially relative to their performance in the W column. Facilities have also been upgraded with plans for more. Anyone who says that Pitt is cheap is just not being objective.
Especially when reading that Shawn Watson got paid $1 million! 👀

Tells me there’s truth that Pitt was likely willing to pay Matt Canada a competitive amount. Guess L$U went higher? 🤷‍♂️

So based on the info in the article, Pitt has made the $$$$ investment in FB and BB HC salaries. Now they need a better R.O.I.

Especially when reading that Shawn Watson got paid $1 million! 👀

Tells me there’s truth that Pitt was likely willing to pay Matt Canada a competitive amount. Guess L$U went higher? 🤷‍♂️

So based on the info in the article, Pitt has made the $$$$ investment in FB and BB HC salaries. Now they need a better R.O.I.

I believe at the time of his departure for L$U, Pitt's offer to Canada would have made him the highest paid OC in the entire ACC, and second highest coordinator, behind Brent Venables.

I believe at the time of his departure for L$U, Pitt's offer to Canada would have made him the highest paid OC in the entire ACC, and second highest coordinator, behind Brent Venables.

Yep. I recall though that there was some doubt expressed in various forums that Pitt was really willing to pay MC (or any coordinator) a million $. The info in that PP-G article about Watson certainly indicates otherwise.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The truth is that Pitt has paid both their football and basketball coaches well for a number of years, especially relative to their performance in the W column. Facilities have also been upgraded with plans for more. Anyone who says that Pitt is cheap is just not being objective.

Even further, as I often have pointed out, the University has long subsidized athletics. If anything, you could argue Pitt is spending too much on athletics, as it takes money out of general funds which are paid for by tuition fees and taxes.

Reactions: ThePanthers
The University has every right to expect 9+ wins per year in football. There will be down years but there also needs to be up years. This is good money for Duzz and it’s time for him to produce or else someone else can give it a try for $5m per year. I wonder what metric his bonus is tied to - 6 wins LOL?

Even further, as I often have pointed out, the University has long subsidized athletics. If anything, you could argue Pitt is spending too much on athletics, as it takes money out of general funds which are paid for by tuition fees and taxes.

ACCN TV revenue now helps a lot in terms of athletic-specific revenue. Prior to the advent of the ACCN that wasn’t necessarily the case. The ACCN and ACC revenue sharing has been a godsend to Pitt in that regard. Pitt is realizing probably 4x the annual athletics revenues from conference sources vs what they were during the BEC years.

I basically think it's almost impossible to spend "too much" on athletics. To me, it's almost a virtuous cycle. Sports spending = sports success = more interest = more applications/donations = more revenue = more spending.

Obviously it doesn't exactly work that way, but places like Clemson and especially some of the former SWC schools in Texas like Baylor and TCU have gotten to the next level in large part because sports have raised their school's profile.

Reactions: caleco's
I basically think it's almost impossible to spend "too much" on athletics. To me, it's almost a virtuous cycle. Sports spending = sports success = more interest = more applications/donations = more revenue = more spending.

Obviously it doesn't exactly work that way, but places like Clemson and especially some of the former SWC schools in Texas like Baylor and TCU have gotten to the next level in large part because sports have raised their school's profile.
Wins are a finite resource though, not everyone could just spend their way to victories.

especially relative to their performance in the W column

And relative to the amount of revenue their respective sports generate as compared to many other P5 football and basketball programs.

Alabama is the best example of how football success translates to overall university revenue and profile. As the Bama president said a few yeas ago in a 60 Minutes interview, Nick Saban's contract is the best return on investment the school has ever had, and it's not even close.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
See the O line coach makes a buck and a half. That's $1.50, and still overpaid!
Probably throw in a free lunch as well.

I know this isn’t the right wording, but Narduzzi’s and Capel’s performances are almost a good problem to have. Yes the ROI isn’t there right now, but between the coaching salaries and the significant financial investment they’re making in Victory Heights, Pitt is showing that they’re willing to spend what it takes to win.

We’ll never outspend the “blue bloods,” but it at least gives us a fighting chance if Narduzzi and Capel turn it around or if we find “the” coaches in the future.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I know this isn’t the right wording, but Narduzzi’s and Capel’s performances are almost a good problem to have. Yes the ROI isn’t there right now, but between the coaching salaries and the significant financial investment they’re making in Victory Heights, Pitt is showing that they’re willing to spend what it takes to win.

We’ll never outspend the “blue bloods,” but it at least gives us a fighting chance if Narduzzi and Capel turn it around or if we find “the” coaches in the future.
Coaches of the Future!
mixed-reality.jpg

Yeah, I'm about out of "future". By the time Pitt gets the basketball program squared away, I'll be strumming a harp on a cloud with my old pal Harve74!

Maybe ole Scratch would work a deal for my soul and a Football Championship.
I need to be specific, or he'll stick me with another Coastal Championship!!

Well Capel and the Duzz are not being payed for their exceptional recruiting or wins. I am trying to figure out what they are getting millions for??? It must be the quality stability they are providing both programs.

Reactions: Parkview57
We haven’t been cheap since Gallagher. In any sport.

Dixon/Stallings were both cheap. Both making $1.6M a year in salary or less. That’s totally uncompetitive.

Capel started at nearly $2.6M and is currently at $3.4M, so they learned their lesson, but they undoubtedly went cheap with that whole situation.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Dixon/Stallings were both cheap. Both making $1.6M a year in salary or less. That’s totally uncompetitive.

Capel started at nearly $2.6M and is currently at $3.4M, so they learned their lesson, but they undoubtedly went cheap with that whole situation.
Ummmm……Dixon was making 3.2 mill and was highest paid Pitt employee like 6 years running when he bailed.

Dixon made over $3 million. Barnes hired stallings all on his own. Capel got $24 million guaranteed from us. He wasn’t cheap.

Donors need to get some bang for they're buck. When that happens fans will increase donations.
Is there any historical evidence for this? Did donations go up much when Jamie Dixon had a #1 seed Panthers team or Wanny had Pitt ranked #9 in the country?

("Oh well, they didn't follow through, we need a national title before we'll donate") OK good luck with ever catching up to our rivals then.

Ummmm……Dixon was making 3.2 mill and was highest paid Pitt employee like 6 years running when he bailed.

Salary vs incentives/bonuses.

You aren’t hiring a quality P5 basketball coach for $1.5M plus incentives, that’s nowhere close to market rate.

Guys like Will Wade and Kevin Keatts and Jeff Capel and Andy Enfield are starting at like $2.5M guaranteed plus incentives. Then if you get a guy like Chris Mack or Archie Miller who everybody wants you’re looking at $3M plus incentives to start.

$1.5M plus incentives is what gets you Kevin Stallings and Mike Lonergan as your finalists.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Well Capel and the Duzz are not being payed for their exceptional recruiting or wins. I am trying to figure out what they are getting millions for??? It must be the quality stability they are providing both programs.

I am fascinated by Narduzzi’s incentives over the past 3 years (i.e. through the 2019 football season).

Has gotten between $1.05M and $1.25M each year which has included missing a bowl game, making the ACC title game, and having about the most bare minimum season possible (7-5, .500 in ACC playing in the Coastal, then beat a MAC school in a bowl).

Pitt’s certainly not gone down on the bonuses and incentives in exchange for the higher salaries, and it feels like there’s probably quite a bit tied more to graduating kids than actual on field results.

Pitt needs to cut sleepy jeffs salary so they can have a competitive gain of function department. UNC is crushing us

No, it does not. Pitt makes substantially more than they spend and have for years.

Is there any historical evidence for this? Did donations go up much when Jamie Dixon had a #1 seed Panthers team or Wanny had Pitt ranked #9 in the country?

("Oh well, they didn't follow through, we need a national title before we'll donate") OK good luck with ever catching up to our rivals then.
Forget on-field performance, we had plenty of idiots withholding donations until we picked the right colors for uniforms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT