ADVERTISEMENT

Has playing off-campus helped Pitt football?

This subject has grown tiresome. I’ll say this in the nicest way possible…

I appreciate the author’s efforts in writing this article, but he’s trying to make connections / correlations that don’t exist. One doesn’t have anything to do with the other.

Just because you wear purple socks on Fridays doesn’t mean that’s the reason you get laid on Saturday night.

People wanting an on campus stadium REFUSE to look at the facts and base their desire on emotions only. In short:

*The money that could be spent on a stadium that will be used 6 times a year could be used to hire better coaches and for better players (NIL)

*There is no place to put the stadium.

* The distance between the campus and Acrisure Stadium is only 4 miles. You want to spend millions of dollars to cut the distance by 3 miles for 6 games????

I could go on and on and on….

I appreciate the author’s efforts in writing this article, but he’s trying to make connections / correlations that don’t exist. One doesn’t have anything to do with the other.

Just because you wear purple socks on Fridays doesn’t mean that’s the reason you get laid on Saturday night.

People wanting an on campus stadium REFUSE to look at the facts and base their desire on emotions only. In short:

*The money that could be spent on a stadium that will be used 6 times a year could be used to hire better coaches and for better players (NIL)

* The distance between the campus and Acrisure Stadium is only 4 miles. You want to spend millions of dollars to cut the distance by 3 miles for 6 games????

I personally REALLY wanted an OCS until NIL. Now it doesn’t make sense given our financial bottom line as a program. It would just take money from NIL which is most critical for the program.

Purple socks get you laid?

Yes…and if you’ve never been on a college campus that has its stadium on said college campus, you shouldn’t comment on this subject. It’s only three miles away when you have to cross streets, avenues and boulevards, isn’t the same as walking down the yard where everyone is partying.

Yes…and if you’ve never been on a college campus that has its stadium on said college campus, you shouldn’t comment on this subject. It’s only three miles away when you have to cross streets, avenues and boulevards, isn’t the same as walking down the yard where everyone is partying.
With Pitt and many other schools, it’s an either or situation

So the thrill of walking a few miles to the stadium where everyone is partying is worth millions of dollars for SIX football games??? In the process forsaking the cost of retaining / hiring better coaches and more NIL cash?

That makes sense… 🙄

Alliance 412 had a hard time making the million dollar target, yet we have people romanticizing about an on campus stadium like the good old days…

There is the way things should be and then there’s the way things are…. Times have changed.

The city won’t give a dime of money towards a stadium for Pitt…

So where are we going to put it and how much are you kicking in?

With Pitt and many other schools, it’s an either or situation

So the thrill of walking a few miles to the stadium where everyone is partying is worth millions of dollars for SIX football games??? In the process forsaking the cost of retaining / hiring better coaches and more NIL cash?

That makes sense… 🙄

Alliance 412 had a hard time making the million dollar target, yet we have people romanticizing about an on campus stadium like the good old days…

There is the way things should be and then there’s the way things are…. Times have changed.

The city won’t give a dime of money towards a stadium for Pitt…

So where are we going to put it and how much are you kicking in?
I've always wondered with how big and powerful UPMC is there doesn't seem to be any benefits that trickle to the actual school. It's like they are separate entities.

I like the idea of an on-campus stadium because it's integrated into the campus and easy for students to get to. It would also be a college stadium with everything Pitt and sized to the appropriate capacity. Beyond that, there aren't many reasons to build an on-campus stadium. Playing where they do now is more amenities for the fans, easier access, significantly less traffic, tailgating options, etc.

Reactions: Pittduck
Now that these kids are mercenaries going to the highest bidder, it seems the on campus.....good ole college pageantry and tradition is gone the way of the horse and buggy.

I think the financial landscape in CFB has changed to the point where an OCS here will never even be discussed as a remote possibility.

In fact, the idea that Pitt does not pay to maintain and upgrade an OCS and is seemingly cost efficient as compared to other OCS schools makes them the envy of college presidents everywhere.

Reactions: pittmeister
College FB was always meant to be played on campus…. Precisely why 99 % of schools do exactly that.
Times have changed. It’s all about money. Either pay players and coaches or pay for a stadium for 6 games. It sucks, but that’s the reality for schools like Pitt

Posters are all for a new stadium, but they want someone else to pay for it and the problem of where to build it.

If posters aren’t willing to make a sizable increase on their donations, then they need to stop talking about an OCS. How much do you donate, and how much more are you willing to pay????

Times have changed. It’s all about money. Either pay players and coaches or pay for a stadium for 6 games. It sucks, but that’s the reality for schools like Pitt

Posters are all for a new stadium, but they want someone else to pay for it and the problem of where to build it.

If posters aren’t willing to make a sizable increase on their donations, then they need to stop talking about an OCS. How much do you donate, and how much more are you willing to pay????
BS! Total nonsense……not even worth responding.

I remember trying to find a parking spot for PITT Stadium. Does anyone think the bus ride to the practice facility hurts recruiting.

I certainly see the appeal of an OCS, but I cant imagine the school wants to make that investment at this time. That said, if the MLS wanted to expand to PGH, maybe a 40K seat stadium makes sense?

Reactions: KennyHeisman8

I have gone to many on campus games and I'll take my personal convenience over the aura of walking through drunken college kids. Lol.

Pitt/the city needs to figure out a way to get the T to Oakland so it only takes 10 minutes to get to the Northshore. Realistically, even with the buses- the student section has been most reliable part of the attendance.

I have gone to many on campus games and I'll take my personal convenience over the aura of walking through drunken college kids. Lol.

Pitt/the city needs to figure out a way to get the T to Oakland so it only takes 10 minutes to get to the Northshore. Realistically, even with the buses- the student section has been most reliable part of the attendance.
Their way of figuring it out is the BRT from the Cathedral to town. Now students can leave at halftime lol.

They tried, but the Rooney's forced the Northside T line instead.

BS! Total nonsense……not even worth responding.
Total truth, and the pro OCS posters can't accept it.

-No place to put it.

-Barely made the Alliance 412 goal of a million dollars (FACT!) Yet somehow, we can get the money for an OCS.

That's not nonsense...

Reactions: DruidTM
Total truth, and the pro OCS posters can't accept it.

-No place to put it.

-Barely made the Alliance 412 goal of a million dollars (FACT!) Yet somehow, we can get the money for an OCS.

That's not nonsense...
Even if there were a place to put it, outside of esthetics, what would be the obvious advantages? We all like to reminisce about the stadium but Pitt didn't exactly pack the place and it was kind of a dump. I'm sure there are people in positions of authority who would love to see a stadium built near the campus but the school has struggled to raise funds and the state ain't chipping in, so deal with it.

Of course playing off campus has not helped, even though some dolts and SP worshipers still pretend that it has.

Last 10 years at Pitt Stadium

89: 8-3-1

90: 3-7-1

91: 6-5

92: 3-9

93: 3-8

94: 3-8

95: 2-9

96: 4-7

97: 6-6

98: 2-9

99: 5-6

TOTAL: 45-77-2

First 10 years at Heinz

01: 7-5

02: 9-4

03: 8-5

04: 8-4

05: 5-6

06: 6-6

07: 5-7

08: 9-4

09: 10-3

10: 8-5

TOTAL: 75-49

Reactions: pittmeister

First 10 years at Heinz

BINGO. The article was trying to make connections that are false. He's saying the move to Heinz Field (Acisure) didn't make Pitt football better. It did neither. One had nothing to do with the other. Building an OCS would do neither as well.

Don't know if upmc would pony up or not.
But it would be nice to control our own concessions and parking finances. Norte Dame
has a nice serino having dorms attached to their stadium.
Don't know if we will ever see it but it would be nice.

Reactions: cbpitt2

First 10 years at Heinz

23: 3-9

But record aren't a great indicator.

Reactions: cbpitt2
More students attend now than did at Pitt stadium in the 90s. The place was a dump and Heinz fell into their lap. They would have been derelict in their duty not to move.

Facts and feelings, you know the old line.

Say or feel how you want, but it's really not a good comparison to look at the record in the 90s at Pitt Stadium when Pitt had allowed it to dilapidate and overall just wrecked the program with bad hires, to playing at HF where they actually started investing in hiring better coaches and promoting the program.

Now that these kids are mercenaries going to the highest bidder, it seems the on campus.....good ole college pageantry and tradition is gone the way of the horse and buggy.

I think the financial landscape in CFB has changed to the point where an OCS here will never even be discussed as a remote possibility.

In fact, the idea that Pitt does not pay to maintain and upgrade an OCS and is seemingly cost efficient as compared to other OCS schools makes them the envy of college presidents everywhere.
You've obviously not experienced schools where the football team walks through a wall of fans, 4-deep on each side, on their way to the stadium. I have at Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, and at Auburn just to name a few. Pageantry and tradition most certainly exist. It's what makes college football better than pro football.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
More students attend now than did at Pitt stadium in the 90s. The place was a dump and Heinz fell into their lap. They would have been derelict in their duty not to move.
More correctly, they were derelict in their duty in not properly maintaining Pitt Stadium as was and is still being done at all the other schools with on-campus stadiums.

You've obviously not experienced schools where the football team walks through a wall of fans, 4-deep on each side, on their way to the stadium. I have at Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, and at Auburn just to name a few. Pageantry and tradition most certainly exist. It's what makes college football better than pro football.
Are you comparing us to LSU and Bama?

I used to agree with your premise that CFB is BETTER than the NFL.

Not anymore.

CFB is now more rigged than ever, as opposed to the NFL, where every team has a window to build and succeed. (That certain NFL teams cant be successful is a different discussion).

Sure....they will remain 4 deep pregame at Texas and Notre Dame, just like the Yankees and Red Sox are televised every Sunday night on ESPN.

Does very little for the overall health of the sport.

I've always wondered with how big and powerful UPMC is there doesn't seem to be any benefits that trickle to the actual school. It's like they are separate entities.
Only $234 million last year alone in direct academic support and another $10 million in research grants. That's quite a bit more than Pitt gets from the state. Really more than probably any school gets from its academic medical center. UPMC is also one of Pitt athletics' largest corporate sponsors. It may be the largest.

And yes, they are legally separate entities.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with Pitt's stadium situation, past or present?

To each their own but...
Sleep Yawn GIF

What does that have to do with Pitt's stadium situation, past or present?
I was responding to the mistaken notion that pageantry and tradition no longer exist in college football. Doesn't Pitt's band march on to the field? Doesn't Pitt’s band march outside the stadium? Doesn't Pitt’s band play at halftime? How long has that been a tradition? Isn't the I still dotted in Columbus?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT