ADVERTISEMENT

Hate to bag on an individual player but

pittguy81

Head Coach
Oct 28, 2005
Eric Hallet is just terrible. He can't cover and he can't tackle. His attack angles are poor. His interference wiped off the int by Mathis. The Cane WR ran past him for an easy TD like he was wearing cement shoes. I guess the other guys must be worse because he stays on the field but he's a liability.

I think the problem is Battle got hurt and well... who else do they have? Takes Narduzzi's typical 2 or 3-star recruits 3-4 years to be ready to play the safety spot.

He hasn't been terrible all year, but this was one of the worst games I remember a Pitt player ever having. From start to finish, he was just awful today.

Reactions: Pitt5593
Eric Hallet is just terrible. He can't cover and he can't tackle. His attack angles are poor. His interference wiped off the int by Mathis. The Cane WR ran past him for an easy TD like he was wearing cement shoes. I guess the other guys must be worse because he stays on the field but he's a liability.
Halley definitely had a bad day but reason why it is hard to bag in an individual player is….just about everyone in the secondary had a bad game.

And the bad attack angles leading to missed tackles definitely wasn’t a problem confined to the DBs. The missed sack down the stretch because of bad attack angle leading to a long run by Van Dyke was a killer.

I sad in the game thread 31 would be the focus of Miami - he’s just not good. Quite frankly - he’s bad.

Reactions: pittguy81
Agreed- he played awful today.

Reactions: 303vND
Well they better figure out their pass D soon or UNC and UVa will light us up and we’ll be in track meets where the offense is forced to score on almost every possession and we see how that worked out today. Hard to believe we went from a commanding lead to now 2 must wins against teams who could easily beat us. Both home games and one a Thursday night where we might get 40k to show up so hardly an intimidating atmosphere.

Therein lies the problem with the defense. You need NFL talent at almost every position for it to work, and that doesn’t happen at Pitt.

2016 they had 3 NFL DBs and Juan Price at DE and it still didn't work.

Only time the D ever worked was with Hamlin/Ford on the back end with Weaver/Jones up front. His scheme sucks.

He was the weak link in both losses. Teams who can throw will continue to attack him.

Biggest problem was a lack of pressure. They can attack specific players when they have time. They blitzed more in the 2nd half and had better success. Should have been more aggressive from the get go and maybe we don't dig as big a hole.

I am going to say this over and over this week. These eight numbers, please remember them:
10, 13, 35, 6

22, 49, 36, 39

The first 4 our Miami's class rankings the last 4 years. The bottom 4 are our's. Yes, I know players develop and players fail, and one or two guys like Pickett can elevate, but the gist is, that is the talent Miami is dipping into to try and plug holes and the talent Pitt is dipping into.

I am going to say this over and over this week. These eight numbers, please remember them:
10, 13, 35, 6

22, 49, 36, 39

The first 4 our Miami's class rankings the last 4 years. The bottom 4 are our's. Yes, I know players develop and players fail, and one or two guys like Pickett can elevate, but the gist is, that is the talent Miami is dipping into to try and plug holes and the talent Pitt is dipping into.
I mean, Clemson has more talent than Miami. Just not at the right positions this year.

But that school just owns Pitt more than anyone else by far. We have what, like 3 or 4 wins and nearly 30 losses to them in a 40 year span?

2016 they had 3 NFL DBs and Juan Price at DE and it still didn't work.

Only time the D ever worked was with Hamlin/Ford on the back end with Weaver/Jones up front. His scheme sucks.

For the most part, nobody stops anybody in college football. I just hate how little teams have to work for it against our defense. The big plays are always there to be had. Our pass rush needs to be elite to mask that, and it just isn't.

Also, we should have given them a different look when they were pinned at the goal line. To have someone matched up one on one like that on the outside is just throwing their qb a lifeline and giving him an easy read. Make a freshman qb think a little, for Pete's sake.

10, 13, 35, 6

22, 49, 36, 39

Recruits, I looked at Rivals right after the game to track exactly what you covered. Disheartening though to see how close we came to winning considering this....

Briggs is a good comparison....good guy, good teammate, plays hard....just doesn't have the speed or instincts to play the position effectively
Against these passing teams why not play a cb at the safety spot. They end up one on one against we all game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT