ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke

If the pot of gold is large enough, she'll be on the next flight. Such is the AD business. And Pitt will replace her with another Jaynes/Long/Barnes mediocrity. Or worse, an academic like Bozik.

You know what I'm going to say. Pitt needs to cease all plans for that volleyball arena until it can take care of football and basketball. I like Heather but if we brought in someone who realized that project is an enormous waste of money, I'd be all for it. Pay Dan Fisher. Match or beat any offer and Pitt volleyball would be successful playing at Frick Elementary.

You know what I'm going to say. Pitt needs to cease all plans for that volleyball arena until it can take care of football and basketball. I like Heather but if we brought in someone who realized that project is an enormous waste of money, I'd be all for it. Pay Dan Fisher. Match or beat any offer and Pitt volleyball would be successful playing at Frick Elementary.

What if Dan wants new facilities to help recruit to stay?

saying she's happy at pitt is a far cry from saying she's not interested in msu. she's smart though, you dont say anything concrete, vague open answers, short and sweet and let your agent do the dealings.

she should call up Dixon and see how it is done, my man had the art of getting a raise based on other openings down to a science.

I think it's her way of saying she doesn't want any part of that tire fire in East Lansing or you need to offer me a lot more money to go to that tire fire in East Lansing.
Tire fire with a much larger budget, much easier and more effective fundraising, a top 5 basketball program with a 25 year top-level coach, a way more established athletics infrastructure, a better and entirely familiar league--the league she has already spent considerable personal and professional time in--more TV revenue and revenue period, and far greater fan support?

Yeah, football is in a rebuild, but I'd say "tire fire" probably means something different to Lyke than it does to you.

you realize good athletic deparments do both. high tide lifts all boats. how long you think dan wants keep recruiting to the dump he has now?

saying she's happy at pitt is a far cry from saying she's not interested in msu. she's smart though, you dont say anything concrete, vague open answers, short and sweet and let your agent do the dealings.

she should call up Dixon and see how it is done, my man had the art of getting a raise based on other openings down to a science.

dixon's time at pitt pisses me off more and more in retrospect. yeah, it was fun winning during the regular season but he choked all the time when it mattered and the contract stuff was annoying as hell. and he as the personality of a doorstop.

you realize good athletic deparments do both. high tide lifts all boats. how long you think dan wants keep recruiting to the dump he has now?

dixon's time at pitt pisses me off more and more in retrospect. yeah, it was fun winning during the regular season but he choked all the time when it mattered and the contract stuff was annoying as hell. and he as the personality of a doorstop.
not a JIG but dixon's tenure had it's moments. not in march sadly but we've had some good times. he was one of the very few coaches who successfully got his team old, and stayed old. not an easy task in college hoops. probably impossible in this day and age with transfers..

not a JIG but dixon's tenure had it's moments. not in march sadly but we've had some good times. he was one of the very few coaches who successfully got his team old, and stayed old. not an easy task in college hoops. probably impossible in this day and age with transfers..

oh, w/out a doubt had many great moments. i don't mean to downplay them. just should have had real success when it mattered and always playing games with his contract was annoying as hell. do that stuff on the downlow, man. should never had been made public.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Show me the money!

But in reality, she will be able to get a better job than MSU.

She has made many improvements at Pitt as AD and it is recognized in the NCAA. Is Pitt willing to pay to keep her? She has Big10 roots with ohio st and grew up in Canton. MSU is a higher profile job. I hope we keep her.

Reactions: Saboteur II
She has made many improvements at Pitt as AD and it is recognized in the NCAA. Is Pitt willing to pay to keep her? She has Big10 roots with ohio st and grew up in Canton. MSU is a higher profile job. I hope we keep her.

I think Pitt is going to be willing to pay. The question is, will they be able to keep up with what Mich St is willing to pay.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
you realize good athletic deparments do both.
Yes but you have to take care of football and basketball first. Basketball is a dumpster fire and football has been mediocre for 40 effing years.

As for Fisher, you keep paying him and if he leaves, he leaves. A $300 million arena isn't guaranteed to keep him for life either.

Instead of multiple replies, I will consolidate my thoughts in this one post:

1) Luke Fickell was courted by Michigan State and turned them down to stay at Cincy. Mich State is not quite as attractive as it once was.
2) I just changed jobs. We all have changed jobs (most) at one point. I wasn't looking or dissatisfied with my previous company or job. I didn't like the direction so much, but I wasn't actively looking and was approached. The company was a bit of a gamble, but it was familiar. They offered me significantly more money. I am now with that company.
3) Lyke's work on the Olympic sports has been gold medal like! But football drives the bus and BB pays the parking.
4) My one buddy referred to "Victory Heights" project as "Resume Heights". And well.....we shall see.
5) She checks alot of boxes for colleges in which these things are now more important than ever.

I think she stays for 2 reasons

1) she has kids that are relatively young

2) she has bigger goals than MSU.

OSU or Michigan will view her as a rockstar after what she has done here..

Somewhere bigger than MSU

That's her next destination.
I absolutely agree with you. If Michigan called her, she’d be gone in a flash. She ain’t leaving for Michigan State.

Also, anyone who would be happy to see Heather leave, needs their head examined. She’s the best AD Pitt has had since Cas Myslinski and it ain’t even close…..

If she wants to leave, I'll personally drive her to the airport. She has done a nice job in helping Pitt's Olympic sports teams prosper, but nothing to address the Pitt athletic department's #1 problem...the Pitt Football team. Without getting into a big discussion as to whether an on campus stadium is do able or not, she has made zero progress on looking into the matter. Also, did she say that "she has had contact with Michigan State about their AD opening?" If so, did she initiate the contact? If so, Pitt should have a huge issue with that.

So the "arrangement" is not working now?

"I'm very happy at Pitt. I'm thrilled to work for Chancellor Gallagher and I expect to stay here and hope to make that arrangement work"

It means mo money. Good for her. Everybody needs to get paid. My dad used to say to never complain about another persons paycheck.

Reactions: pittmeister
I absolutely agree with you. If Michigan called her, she’d be gone in a flash. She ain’t leaving for Michigan State.

Also, anyone who would be happy to see Heather leave, needs their head examined. She’s the best AD Pitt has had since Cas Myslinski and it ain’t even close…..

Trolls will try to flame. It's what they do. She deserves a raise

Get your head examined, troll… If you’re not a troll ( and I’m sure you will deny it), you’re part of the problem. It’s that kind of thinking (or lacking there of) is the reason Pitt has been wondering in the desert for 40 years…

There have been a number of troll-ish posts lately with awful grammar, punctuation, spelling. Makes me wonder if it's all the same person or just numerous morons.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
If she wants to leave, I'll personally drive her to the airport. She has done a nice job in helping Pitt's Olympic sports teams prosper, but nothing to address the Pitt athletic department's #1 problem...the Pitt Football team. Without getting into a big discussion as to whether an on campus stadium is do able or not, she has made zero progress on looking into the matter. Also, did she say that "she has had contact with Michigan State about their AD opening?" If so, did she initiate the contact? If so, Pitt should have a huge issue with that.
Who has been the best AD Pitt has had since Cas Myslinski? I’ll answer it for you…. Heather….And you’d like to see her go…. HAHA! It’ll say it again, this is the kind of thinking that has had Pitt in the doldrums for 40 YEARS.

She’s not perfect Maybe she doesn’t move fast enough to suit you either. But it ain’t easy raising the dead….She deserves a raise….

Yes but you have to take care of football and basketball first. Basketball is a dumpster fire and football has been mediocre for 40 effing years.

As for Fisher, you keep paying him and if he leaves, he leaves. A $300 million arena isn't guaranteed to keep him for life either.

the fieldhouse is an absolute embarrassment of a facility. it's pathetic that our teams need to use it.

as for FB, tell me what she isn't doing? everyone screamed about needing stability - ok we have that. i'm not the biggest narduzzi fanboy but he's not embarrassing and not bad. if it wasn't a pandemic, he'd be on the hot seat right now.

and what do you want her to do about BB? she inherited a complete chernobyl situation. she tried capel and so far it's not going great. he had his pluses and minuses but we were all pretty happy with him as a hire. sometimes you swing and miss. is she supposed to fire him this off-season? he deserves a little more time.

you can't turn pitt football into a beacon of success in a couple of years. the ship is too big. i'd rather let her fix it than someone else. she's proven she can turn around crappy programs.

she’s not that. Good
last year we had 3 pitt teams finish in the top 10. i doubt we've ever had more than one in a season. ever. she got you 3. you're ridiculous.

the fieldhouse is an absolute embarrassment of a facility. it's pathetic that our teams need to use it.

as for FB, tell me what she isn't doing? everyone screamed about needing stability - ok we have that. i'm not the biggest narduzzi fanboy but he's not embarrassing and not bad. if it wasn't a pandemic, he'd be on the hot seat right now.

and what do you want her to do about BB? she inherited a complete chernobyl situation. she tried capel and so far it's not going great. he had his pluses and minuses but we were all pretty happy with him as a hire. sometimes you swing and miss. is she supposed to fire him this off-season? he deserves a little more time.

you can't turn pitt football into a beacon of success in a couple of years. the ship is too big. i'd rather let her fix it than someone else. she's proven she can turn around crappy programs.

last year we had 3 pitt teams finish in the top 10. i doubt we've ever had more than one in a season. ever. she got you 3. you're ridiculous.
Agree on basketball. It seems like the Capel hire was a quite excellent at the time. Unless there were some red flags that were clear and she ignored them, she picked a very strong candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT