ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke's ranking in modern Pitt A.D. history?

He lobbied for him. SP didn't have to listen. You simply cannot compare SP1 with Lyke. Like I said, even if was pure luck, Walt & Howland totally changed the only 2 sports that matter. Before SP, we were the worst P6 team and the bball team was playing walk-ons because Ralph couldn't keep the team out of prison. To go from that to a Sweet 16 and Top 25 in hoops is just nuts.

In football, the program is probably in worse shape than when Lyke took over so I dont see how you can even compare.
Adidas.

Harris/Howland elevated their respective programs to heights no other coaches have in my lifetimes.
Like Walt used to say, its all 20/20 hindsight, but when you think of what Pitt football was in 1996 to what it was in 2002 where they went toe-to-toe with a team playing in the National Championship, that is something we all took for granted at the time all because of his unfathomable losses to Texas A&M and WVU. If he could have gotten out of his own way that team could have been special.

Like Walt used to say, its all 20/20 hindsight, but when you think of what Pitt football was in 1996 to what it was in 2002 where they went toe-to-toe with a team playing in the National Championship, that is something we all took for granted at the time all because of his unfathomable losses to Texas A&M and WVU. If he could have gotten out of his own way that team could have been special.

actually his quote was 50/50 hindsight 😆

That 2002 season was really good, but still was a 4 loss team. The A&M loss was I think the second game of the season, and Rutherford was getting a feel for being the QB (plus the swinging gate fiasco). So that was somewhat understandable. But the WVU loss...4 turnovers killed us in that game. And Fitz with a drop on the final series that would have been a TD. And ND wasn't that good and should have also been a win that year (Walt got super cautious that game, I remember he punted twice inside the ND 35 yard line)

So that really should have been an 11-2 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT