ADVERTISEMENT

Heather: Please read this

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
First of all, if you don't have the time to read this whole thing and need to stop right now: you have to leak names UNLESS you have a guaranteed slam dunk that we will all love. Scott Barnes and John Currie (former Tennessee AD) will be examples in the new Athletic Director 101 textbook of why it is so important to leak names and get the vibe, the pulse of the fanbase. We are your customers and our collective opinions matter.

OK, thanks in advance if you read on. First, congratulations on getting this done. It may have been costly but it was necessary. Moving forward, I don't think you realize how much leverage you have. Your boss was complicit in the 2 worst hires in Pitt history. Barnes and Stallings is on him. HE has to find the money to correct the situation even if that means over-correcting. You have to press him for as much money as possible from the University to go out and hire a great coach.

Don't listen to small-time thinkers. Weird stuff happens. Coaches make what appear to be head-scratching decisions (Buzz to VT, Frank to South Carolina, Cronin almost to UNLV). Before settling for a mid-major or a higher-end retread like Crean or Matta (both of whom I like by the way), think really big. Kick the tires on a few coaches who will make people say WTF if it comes across the ESPN scroll. You have to sell Gallagher on allowing you to overspend.

You've never seen The Pete at its best. We want it to get back like that again. If you can bring in a great coach that most of the fanbase is excited about, we will buy season tickets and come out and support them and the team even though they will likely only between 1-4 ACC games next season. We can be patient if we have hope and belief. Some coaches provide more of that than others.

Lastly, if you do land a popular coach, get your ticket prices finalized, have a pep rally press conference, invite us all, and sell season tickets right then and there. Have the new coach shake hands and take selfies for anybody who buys tickets that day. Make it a big deal, but please, please price your seats like your peers do (BC, GT, NCSU, FSU, Miami). Don't waste a great hire by overpricing. Remember this is still a pro town. We can't price like Duke and UNC.

Heather, you have a chance to be a hero. There is a very low bar following Pederson and Barnes. We believe in you. Go get it done!

First of all, if you don't have the time to read this whole thing and need to stop right now: you have to leak names UNLESS you have a guaranteed slam dunk that we will all love. Scott Barnes and John Currie (former Tennessee AD) will be examples in the new Athletic Director 101 textbook of why it is so important to leak names and get the vibe, the pulse of the fanbase. We are your customers and our collective opinions matter.

OK, thanks in advance if you read on. First, congratulations on getting this done. It may have been costly but it was necessary. Moving forward, I don't think you realize how much leverage you have. Your boss was complicit in the 2 worst hires in Pitt history. Barnes and Stallings is on him. HE has to find the money to correct the situation even if that means over-correcting. You have to press him for as much money as possible from the University to go out and hire a great coach.

Don't listen to small-time thinkers. Weird stuff happens. Coaches make what appear to be head-scratching decisions (Buzz to VT, Frank to South Carolina, Cronin almost to UNLV). Before settling for a mid-major or a higher-end retread like Crean or Matta (both of whom I like by the way), think really big. Kick the tires on a few coaches who will make people say WTF if it comes across the ESPN scroll. You have to sell Gallagher on allowing you to overspend.

You've never seen The Pete at its best. We want it to get back like that again. If you can bring in a great coach that most of the fanbase is excited about, we will buy season tickets and come out and support them and the team even though they will likely only between 1-4 ACC games next season. We can be patient if we have hope and belief. Some coaches provide more of that than others.

Lastly, if you do land a popular coach, get your ticket prices finalized, have a pep rally press conference, invite us all, and sell season tickets right then and there. Have the new coach shake hands and take selfies for anybody who buys tickets that day. Make it a big deal, but please, please price your seats like your peers do (BC, GT, NCSU, FSU, Miami). Don't waste a great hire by overpricing. Remember this is still a pro town. We can't price like Duke and UNC.

Heather, you have a chance to be a hero. There is a very low bar following Pederson and Barnes. We believe in you. Go get it done!

The Pete at it's best is a rockin place !

you are a weird dude SMF, amusing, entertaining but weird.
But on the other hand, I often wish they had the balls to consider SMF's kind of ideas, instead of the typical Pittsburgh "we can't afford..." kind of attitude. Like I'd love it if they had the balls to lay a huge offer on Calipari or hire Pitino, or just something over the top gutsy, instead of doing the type of thing that's expected.

Reactions: pittjas
But on the other hand, I often wish they had the balls to consider SMF's kind of ideas, instead of the typical Pittsburgh "we can't afford..." kind of attitude. Like I'd love it if they had the balls to lay a huge offer on Calipari or hire Pitino, or just something over the top gutsy, instead of doing the type of thing that's expected.
Pitt just wrote an eight figure check 2 hours ago. Maybe now isn’t best time to suggest a hey quit being cheap.

Pitt just wrote an eight figure check 2 hours ago. Maybe now isn’t best time to suggest a hey quit being cheap.
Well, the good news is that they got a big check from TCU two years ago when Jamie left...

...oh, wait.

Reactions: ratking17
That's the point of my post! Go out on a limb, roll the dice, NOT BE sensible, be like SMF :)

That's the point of my post! Go out on a limb, roll the dice, NOT BE sensible, be like SMF :)

You have to think big, you have to take chances. Gallagher is culpable here. Heather has to press him to be able to go after bigger names.

NO HEATHER. STOP NOW. It's SMF

You have to think big, you have to take chances. Gallagher is culpable here. Heather has to press him to be able to go after bigger names.

"Hello Sean? This is Heather Lyke from the Univ....click"

"Hello Cal?? This is Heather Lyke from.....click"

"Hello Rick? This Heather Lyke from the University of Pittsburgh......." "Heather who????........click........."

"Hello Greg Marshall?....this is Hea.......click".....

Yea....that wouldn't be too embarrassing.

"Hello Rick? This Heather Lyke from the University of Pittsburgh......." "Heather who????........click........."

Who cares if its embarrassing. That would have taken 2 minutes out of her day.

Reactions: Pitt79 and tbroman

and in today"s media driven world.....the story would be how desperate Pitt looks...or...how stupid they look thinking these guys are attainable.

There is a coach out there can can end up being a great hire for Pitt. Its heather's job to get him here.

and in today"s media driven world.....the story would be how desperate Pitt looks...or...how stupid they look thinking these guys are attainable.

There is a coach out there can can end up being a great hire for Pitt. Its heather's job to get him here.

Or the opposite. "Wow, they really tried to get Cal, they must really be serious this time."

Reactions: steeltown24

Do you have a life beyond this board?

Reactions: California Panther

Sure???
man-behind-bars.jpg

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Are you going to increase your donation so Pitt can "overspend" to get a coach that's not in a mid major conference? Or are you going to depend on others to ante up?

I could be wrong, but I understood that no check was written to Stallings yet. It was still being negotiated and nothing has been finalized. Lyke just wanted to get this mess behind her and move on with the process of finding a real coach.

Why is it "embarrassing"? It's not like it would make the news. And if you did it, you'd have to expect to be making a huge offer moneywise to make them listen. But I get it, most of you are gutless and never stepped out of the box and took a big risk, you always did what was "sensible".

Are you going to increase your donation so Pitt can "overspend" to get a coach that's not in a mid major conference? Or are you going to depend on others to ante up?
I'll say whatever I want here, but of course DEPEND ON OTHERS to ante up :)

Sure???
man-behind-bars.jpg

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Of course, taking a risk, a REAL RISK, could backfire, that's why it's a "RISK", play it safe then, promote an assistant. Do the least risky thing, be safe.

Why is it "embarrassing"? It's not like it would make the news. And if you did it, you'd have to expect to be making a huge offer moneywise to make them listen. But I get it, most of you are gutless and never stepped out of the box and took a big risk, you always did what was "sensible".

Nah.....wring again

It would make the news and it would be embarrassing to pitt.

Please join us in the 21st century.....

Nah.....wring again

It would make the news and it would be embarrassing to pitt.

Please join us in the 21st century.....
I agree with SMF, it wouldn't be embarrassing, it would simply show that Pitt is thinking big, so like I said, people like you, never had the balls to put yourself out their and take a risk to get to a higher level, so you worry about being "embarrassed".

I agree with SMF, it wouldn't be embarrassing, it would simply show that Pitt is thinking big, so like I said, people like you, never had the balls to put yourself out their and take a risk to get to a higher level, so you worry about being "embarrassed".

Hmmn....interesting take

It seems you and SMF conveniently forget the greatest run in this schools history was with an unknown named Howland and an equally unknown assistant named Dixon.

But go ahead and reach out to Calipari. I'm sure he would listen.....

Before hanging up.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Hmmn....interesting take

It seems you and SMF conveniently forget the greatest run in this schools history was with an unknown named Howland and an equally unknown assistant named Dixon.

Before hanging up.

Yeah, I remember the Howland/Dixon years, but that doesn't mean you have to follow that formula EVERY SINGLE TIME. It makes me laugh how you think the fact that succeeding with Howland/Dixon means you can't try a different approach this time.

So what would it hurt to reach out to a Calipari? Would you LOSE SOMETHING TANGIBLE if you just ASKED him? Of course you'd have to have a serious money offer on the table for the asking to be legit, but if you just asked and then he hung up, HOW ARE YOU HURT? Even if it makes the news, people forget something like that immediately. So how are you hurt?

And if you never ask, there's never the 1% chance that he'd say YES.

Hmmn....interesting take

Before hanging up.

There are 9 Ralph Willard's for every Ben Howland.

I can't believe you are sticking to your idea that it would be too "embarrassing" to call Calipari. Worst-case scenario, lets say he hangs up on you and it makes the halftime shows that Pitt reached out to Calipari and he shut them down immediately and Williams, Greenberg, Bilas all laugh about it. That "embarrassment" would last for 24 hours. That's of course assuming that even happens.

What is equally likely is it sends a message that Pitt is serious and isn't effing around this time.

Reactions: Pitt79
Just think about it? Some of you are "embarrassed" to be hung up on by Calipari, more than being embarrassed by 8-24.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT