ADVERTISEMENT

Highest attendance Sporting event in Pittsburgh history

Pitt fans came through last night.
What I don't understand is why the Steelers dont sell standing room tickets. Seems kind of silly that they don't. As great of as it is that that game broke the record, its because the Steelers dont sell SROs.

What I don't understand is why the Steelers dont sell standing room tickets. Seems kind of silly that they don't. As great of as it is that that game broke the record, its because the Steelers dont sell SROs.
Go ask the Steelers and leave Pitt issues to others.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach

It's that in conjunction with the fact that they added seats since the Penn State series, yeah.

well I was there.

I heard all the stories about the WVU fans showing up, but honestly I hardly saw any. I didnt get into Pittsburgh until like 6 PM, so wasnt around the city but in the stadium it was all Pitt. The atmosphere was better than I ever saw at our stadium

We're not talking Stillers. They're irrelevant. This is about a Pitt game that broke the attendance record. I can't speak for others, but I don't give a rat's ass what the Stillers do.

Reactions: 303vND
well I was there.

I heard all the stories about the WVU fans showing up, but honestly I hardly saw any. I didnt get into Pittsburgh until like 6 PM, so wasnt around the city but in the stadium it was all Pitt. The atmosphere was better than I ever saw at our stadium

There were definitely a lot of WVU fans both inside and outside the stadium, but it was by FAR a Pitt crowd.

My whole section there was only one couple who where mountaineer fans, and they were super polite. Well at least what I saw anyways.

My whole section there was only one couple who where mountaineer fans, and they were super polite. Well at least what I saw anyways.

yeah, few mounties in my section, no issue. But we are in the lower bowl. Upper bowl visitors side was pretty heavy mountie. I'd say the 10-15k estimate is probably good, which is no different from past big games with PSU, ND or WVU. Our tailgate lot was mostly all Pitt, but really didn't see any issues going in or leaving the stadium, which is surprising for nice weather night game with plenty of time to drink.

One other observation, walking through the ribfest....it didn't seem as packed as I thought it would be. I guess people mainly tailgated instead.

Reactions: President Stache

We had a decent amount in our section in the club.

Everyone's interactions were pretty fun to be honest. We were talking shit, but everyone was laughing and cordial. Even at the end of the game they congratulated us.

Well I watched on TV, but there wasn’t even a comparison on the noise. Pitt fans were either 80-90% more or 80-90% louder. They were much louder

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Haha, the troll has to try to find a negative in all Pitt positives.

I cant imagine what a terribly sad life someone must have to post relentlessly on the message board of the team he hates
Here we go. Its a legitimate question that I've always wondered. Seems like the Steelers are leaving a lot of money on the table as there is ample standing room. My guess is that perhaps they are contractually not allowed due to the other fans having to purchase seat licenses. Or maybe an NFL rule for safety or something like that?

Well I watched on TV, but there wasn’t even a comparison on the noise. Pitt fans were either 80-90% more or 80-90% louder. They were much louder

The sideline mic’s are definitely on the Pitt side. I watched some of the telecast later, and was astounded at how loud it showed on TV. Really great.

Not sure that was exactly the experience in person. It was good, but the WVU presence was very prevelant.

Nonetheless - 15K isn’t 75% unless u are PSU or Trump,

This was definitely highest tickets sold for a sporting event in Pittsburgh, not highest attended. There were empty seats on the upper deck visitors side and end zone. There was also a large chunk of empty seats in one section next to the students. Pick an AFC Championship game for the actual highest attended. Never an empty seat at those. Not trying to be a downer on this "record", just going to just about every college football and NFL game in Heinz Field history I've seen it all.

Reactions: singregardless
This was definitely highest tickets sold for a sporting event in Pittsburgh, not highest attended. There were empty seats on the upper deck visitors side and end zone. There was also a large chunk of empty seats in one section next to the students. Pick an AFC Championship game for the actual highest attended. Never an empty seat at those. Not trying to be a downer on this "record", just going to just about every college football and NFL game in Heinz Field history I've seen it all.
WTF are you talking about?

First you way overstate the number of WV fans at the game, and now this.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
yeah, few mounties in my section, no issue. But we are in the lower bowl. Upper bowl visitors side was pretty heavy mountie. I'd say the 10-15k estimate is probably good, which is no different from past big games with PSU, ND or WVU. Our tailgate lot was mostly all Pitt, but really didn't see any issues going in or leaving the stadium, which is surprising for nice weather night game with plenty of time to drink.

One other observation, walking through the ribfest....it didn't seem as packed as I thought it would be. I guess people mainly tailgated instead.
19.95 per bone will do that

WTF are you talking about?

First you way overstate the number of WV fans at the game, and now this.
Lol, there were way more than 7,000 (10%) WV fans that some are claiming. Anyone that says there weren't is lying to themselves. The gigapixel photo clearly shows that. Not every seat was full, not even close. There should not have been an empty seat in the house plus another 1,500-2,000 people standing.. When Pitt (or any other team) starts announcing turnstile count every game then you can believe it. Anyone in attendance at the game on Thursday will tell you not every seat was full.

Lol, there were way more than 7,000 (10%) WV fans that some are claiming. Anyone that says there weren't is lying to themselves. The gigapixel photo clearly shows that. Not every seat was full, not even close. There should not have been an empty seat in the house plus another 1,500-2,000 people standing.. When Pitt (or any other team) starts announcing turnstile count every game then you can believe it. Anyone in attendance at the game on Thursday will tell you not every seat was full.
You do know that picture was taken before kickoff, right?

You do know that picture was taken before kickoff, right?
It was taken at the 7 minute mark of the 1st Half, which is still a stupid time to take it, especially on a weeknight with late arrivals due to traffic. Should have been in the 2nd quarter. I also told these stupid gigapixel people the last time to take the panomaric shot that they sell of the PITT SIDE. I didn't buy the Pitt/PSU print because they took it of the PSU sideline and I can't have PSU scumbag players hanging on my wall with their dressed in white fan sections. The white stands out and the print is a really bad look. I literally emailed them this. And they didn't listen.

Also, I was wondering about those 3 or 4 empty rows next to the student section that the guy was referencing. Obviously those tickets were sold but I was thinking that was a group (perhaps player alums) that was invited elsewhere in the stadium. There's no chance that they a) weren't sold or b) 60 random people all decided to not show up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT