ADVERTISEMENT

Hinson mocked

Every team has spot-up shooters. The NBA is really just a 3 point contest now. One guy drives to the bucket and either finishes, dumps it off for a dunk or kicks it out for a 3. Hinson has an extremely valuable skill to today's NBA. I wouldn’t be sweating his defense. Nobody plays defense in the regular season. In the playoffs they do, but he may not be a guy who gets a lot of time in the playoffs but could still make millions.
I am sorry but I dont see a way that a 6'7/6'8 ELITE 3 point shooter cant find a way on the end of an NBA bench.
Another perspective on it is this: Pitt has had a number of far better players than Hinson over the past 40 years who couldn’t cut it in the NBA. So there’s that.

In the NBA, when he’s on the floor, he would be defended by simply denying him the ball. He has very little ability to create space for himself or shake a defender without the ball, and with no handle he isn’t the kind of player you set ball screens for.

Again, I may very well be wrong, and you may be right. We’ll soon see.

The Cavs are 2nd in the East. How much better are these guys, who play the same NBA position as Blake?

Dean Wade 6'9 39% from 3
Georges Niang 35% from 3

Niang was a good college player but mostly a fat post guy who could step out and make 3s. Wade, nobody ever heard of. He was nothing at Kansas State.

Are these guys better than Hinson? Maybe. But they are solidly in the NBA on a good team. Dont tell me Blake can make some roster, the way he shoots it. Or at least a 2 way.
Couldn’t help thinking of you yesterday SMF as I was watching the Cavs-Celtics, leaving the Pitt game to watch after it was over.

Cavs playing without 2 of their top players in Mitchell and Mobley and Garland having a not-so-good game for his standards. Down by 22 points in the 4th quarter to the best team in the East. Cavs come back, erase that 22-pt deficit and win thanks to 21 pts from Dean Wade in the 4th.

If I didn’t know any better, thought I was watching Hinson out there in the 4th.

Couldn’t help thinking of you yesterday SMF as I was watching the Cavs-Celtics, leaving the Pitt game to watch after it was over.

Cavs playing without 2 of their top players in Mitchell and Mobley and Garland having a not-so-good game for his standards. Down by 22 points in the 4th quarter to the best team in the East. Cavs come back, erase that 22-pt deficit and win thanks to 21 pts from Dean Wade in the 4th.

If I didn’t know any better, thought I was watching Hinson out there in the 4th.
And Niang with a tidy 23 points in 21 minutes.

And Niang with a tidy 23 points in 21 minutes.

Yeah, but they were just excellent players that SMF thought were mediocre (because he knows so much college basketball) and Pitt currently has a pretty good player who can immediately replace them because reasons!

Another perspective on it is this: Pitt has had a number of far better players than Hinson over the past 40 years who couldn’t cut it in the NBA. So there’s that.

In the NBA, when he’s on the floor, he would be defended by simply denying him the ball. He has very little ability to create space for himself or shake a defender without the ball, and with no handle he isn’t the kind of player you set ball screens for.

Again, I may very well be wrong, and you may be right. We’ll soon see.

He's the best shooter in school history and has the size to get his shot off. So, yes, we've had better players who didnt make it but how many, really? Hinson has to be one of the best 15 players in school history, no? And the NBA is a lot different now. He possesses an elite skill that is valued by the NBA. This isnt 6'0 Ashton Gibbs trying to make it.

Dean Wade and Niang combining for 40 points against the best team in the East further proves how there is a spot for Hinson. He doesn't even have to be as good as those 2 elite stars. There's a spot for a guy who can shoot like that.

58th to Grizzlies Bub 15th to Magic.

I think Blake gets at least a 2 way. He shoots it to well with great range. You'd be surprised how many average college bums are on NBA benches. Then you look at the G League and you see former college stars so it doesn't make a lot of sense. But I think Hinson will play in the NBA. For how long, I dont know. But he has a really valuable skill. The Cavs have fatass Georges Niang chucking up missed 3 after missed 3. Hinson is better.
I've been trying to watch some NBA recently, basically I see everyone way out on the perimeter, and they throw the ball around until someone hoists a 3, sometimes a guy will drive to the basket down the middle and dunk because there is usually nobody there. I find it pretty boring basketball to be honest, and you're right because it's a different sport and not real basketball in the traditional sense, a lot of conventional basketball players don't make it, and guys that can just shoot get in, Drew Timme was like National POY wasn't he? I see he is currently in the G-League with the Bucks team.

I've been trying to watch some NBA recently, basically I see everyone way out on the perimeter, and they throw the ball around until someone hoists a 3, sometimes a guy will drive to the basket down the middle and dunk because there is usually nobody there. I find it pretty boring basketball to be honest, and you're right because it's a different sport and not real basketball in the traditional sense, a lot of conventional basketball players don't make it, and guys that can just shoot get in, Drew Timme was like National POY wasn't he? I see he is currently in the G-League with the Bucks team.

Right. That's exactly what the NBA is. 1 guy driving, 3 guys standing on the perimeter. The decision is to finish in the lane, dump off for a dunk, or kick for a 3. Hinson can catch a ball and shoot it.

He's the best shooter in school history and has the size to get his shot off. So, yes, we've had better players who didnt make it but how many, really? Hinson has to be one of the best 15 players in school history, no? And the NBA is a lot different now. He possesses an elite skill that is valued by the NBA. This isnt 6'0 Ashton Gibbs trying to make it.
In the NBA playing a floor-spacing 3-4 he won't have the "size to get his shot off." His defenders will be at least as tall and substantially more athletic.

Best NBA comp I can think of for Hinny is Isaiah Livers. About the same size and body type (Livers somehow went from 6'9 at Michigan to 6'6-7": in the NBA), Livers was a 42% 3 pt shooter in college, but was tougher and more physical with a higher motor, a bit more athletic, a bit better ballhandler, a significantly better passer, and a bit more comfortable banging down low than Hinny. Defensively, Livers was much better than Hinny as a college player.

Right. That's exactly what the NBA is. 1 guy driving, 3 guys standing on the perimeter. The decision is to finish in the lane, dump off for a dunk, or kick for a 3. Hinson can catch a ball and shoot it.
Hinson can catch a ball and shoot it

If he's not defended, sure. In the NBA, they will know what he's on the floor to do, know that he can't create his own space to catch and shoot, and they will not leave him standing by himself to shoot 3s.

I'm no fan of the NBA game, but there's a bit more strategy and coaching to it than you seem to believe.

Again, my opinions only. I may be proven wrong. I'll let you have the last word, I feel guilty enough about staying engaged in this pointless debate as long as I did.

Meanwhile you’re good at constantly posting negative opinions on a message board !
No idea what this means? Why are you defending Tom Crean from a month ago? Weird, mentally ill type of behavior.

The NCAAT has rendered Pitt fans incapable of rational thought

No idea what this means? Why are you defending Tom Crean from a month ago? Weird, mentally ill type of behavior.

The NCAAT has rendered Pitt fans incapable of rational thought
I’m not defending anyone , but you’re criticizing someone who’s had considerable success . How many coaches won without great players ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT