ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosierduzzi

Oct 25, 2021
Tom Allen is out after a 3-9 season, despite producing two of the more successful seasons in program history not long ago. Man, that would be a great fit for Pat. Work some magic, Heather.

What an albatross this contact is.

Tom Allen is out after a 3-9 season, despite producing two of the more successful seasons in program history not long ago. Man, that would be a great fit for Pat. Work some magic, Heather.

Indiana was willing to suck it up and pay the $21MM buyout to get rid of a bad coach with a bad contract. Now it is Pitt’s turn. Time for admin to take the medicine of the stupid extension they gave Narduzzi.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Allen got fired even though he had a $20M buyout

Indiana was willing to suck it up and pay the $21MM buyout to get rid of a bad coach with a bad contract. Now it is Pitt’s turn. Time for admin to take the medicine of the stupid extension they gave Narduzzi.

Yeah, that's a wild number for Indiana. Although with that new TV money, maybe not. Sucks, cause we would have to come up with like twice that amount. I think the only shot would be trying to nudge him toward a job opening like this. If they would even have him.

Again, Heather looks like an all-star compared to the cast of losers that came before her. We have no way of knowing if the contract is really that one-sided. If it is, she would go down as one of the worse AD's which is saying something. But goes back to why sign someone to a long term extension when absolutely know one else was trying to hire Narduzzi away. Not unique to Pitt, Arkansas did the same thing and they are in a similar situation now.

Again, Heather looks like an all-star compared to the cast of losers that came before her. We have no way of knowing if the contract is really that one-sided. If it is, she would go down as one of the worse AD's which is saying something. But goes back to why sign someone to a long term extension when absolutely know one else was trying to hire Narduzzi away. Not unique to Pitt, Arkansas did the same thing and they are in a similar situation now.

Yep, that's what it boils down to: No one else wanted him. In fact, he was probably in line to get fired three games into the season season that landed him 7 more years of huge money. No reason to throw that kind of contract at him (I have to imagine it is one-sided, because that's how most CFB contracts are these days, aside from exceptions like Mississippi State experimenting with an unqualified DC).

Indiana football tradition is the 1967 Rose Bowl and the QB/Receiver that played for the steelers and won a super bowl with a pass to Hines Ward. Can anybody on the board add to the hoosiers legacy of college football. I honestly cant so that tells you all you need to know. Allen is actually a good coach with a successful offensive background. Not sure what that school has in mind for record expectations but if they think the next hire can get them to 8-4 for 5 straight years then they are as crazy as the recently departed Bobby Knight.

Indiana football tradition is the 1967 Rose Bowl and the QB/Receiver that played for the steelers and won a super bowl with a pass to Hines Ward. Can anybody on the board add to the hoosiers legacy of college football. I honestly cant so that tells you all you need to know. Allen is actually a good coach with a successful offensive background. Not sure what that school has in mind for record expectations but if they think the next hire can get them to 8-4 for 5 straight years then they are as crazy as the recently departed Bobby Knight.

It's a surprising move, to say the least. But he was trending downward. I'm okay with them betting on themselves, similar to what Syracuse is doing. Neither school can do a whole lot worse.

Not saying Tom Allen is a bad coach, but Michael Penix made Allen look like a good coach. Penix is making Daboer look like a great coach.

They had a pretty good season in the covid year and it fooled some people in Indiana into forgetting who they are.

Be very careful of what you wish for. Pat Narduzzi isn't the second coming of Woody Hayes, but he is a good man by all accounts and the players and their parents like the man. Pitt could do a lot worse then a man who by all accounts like this area and the Pitt coaching job. Get the man a GOOD offensive coordinator, one that runs an offense that fits into college football of the 21st century and the program will win 8-9 games consistently.

In 4 years when Narduzzi’s buyout is down to $21million they can make the call.

Be very careful of what you wish for. Pat Narduzzi isn't the second coming of Woody Hayes, but he is a good man by all accounts and the players and their parents like the man. Pitt could do a lot worse then a man who by all accounts like this area and the Pitt coaching job. Get the man a GOOD offensive coordinator, one that runs an offense that fits into college football of the 21st century and the program will win 8-9 games consistently.
Dooz seems like a decent guy.

I’d prefer a head coach who actually knows what he’s doing to a good guy who likes living in the Pittsburgh area though.

Dooz seems like a decent guy.

I’d prefer a head coach who actually knows what he’s doing to a good guy who likes living in the Pittsburgh area though.
Oh, I do think Pat Narduzzi knows what he is doing and he is good at doing it. He has brought the Pitt football program into that area where the elite Power 5 schools reside. Pitt is not there yet and the reasons for that are not all Narduzzi's fault. Any coach, regardless off who they would bring in to replace him will struggle. That's is what happens when the AD refuses to address the #1 issue for Pitt football team..a stadium that they can call their own.
I actually believe that he is a great fit for the program. When I said "likes living in the area", I was referring to the fact that he has lived in the area for over 9 years. He has four children (I believe I that's correct) who have attended schools in the area and I do believe that most, if not all, went to Pitt. He gets Pittsburgh, he may not have graduated from Pitt, but make no mistake about it, he is a proud PITT MAN and that is important.

Be very careful of what you wish for. Pat Narduzzi isn't the second coming of Woody Hayes, but he is a good man by all accounts and the players and their parents like the man. Pitt could do a lot worse then a man who by all accounts like this area and the Pitt coaching job.
Reminds me of a description of Serafino Fazio.

Yes, we need to stop saddling him with bad OC hires. It's a shame the university keeps screwing Narduzzi over like that.

Oh, I do think Pat Narduzzi knows what he is doing and he is good at doing it. He has brought the Pitt football program into that area where the elite Power 5 schools reside. Pitt is not there yet and the reasons for that are not all Narduzzi's fault. Any coach, regardless off who they would bring in to replace him will struggle. That's is what happens when the AD refuses to address the #1 issue for Pitt football team..a stadium that they can call their own.
I actually believe that he is a great fit for the program. When I said "likes living in the area", I was referring to the fact that he has lived in the area for over 9 years. He has four children (I believe I that's correct) who have attended schools in the area and I do believe that most, if not all, went to Pitt. He gets Pittsburgh, he may not have graduated from Pitt, but make no mistake about it, he is a proud PITT MAN and that is important.
With the exception of a few Golden Panther years they were lousy to meh with a few other good years here and there when they had a stadium to call their own.

I am solidly behind this thinking.

Look, this much is fact: Since the time Pitt joined the ACC, Naduzzi's record as football HC had him # 2 in wins in the entire freakin' conference. And this was his 9th year, so not a fluke of a single year.

Also, there is a TON to be said about a head coach that runs a good, clean and family-oriented program... and in the last few years put more kids into the NFL than any other team in the ACC.

He is NOT likable. He is generally a POOR game manager. His recruiting is decent, when one considers the challenge of recruiting for a school that is the rare, CITY-BASED, football playing major college. I think HCPN leverages the football complex and stadium-share realities as well as anyone can (and there are +'s and -'s to it)

Finally, PITTSBURGH is the small metro area in the USA to have (3) Pro Sports franchises. And I am near positive that NONE of the larger metro areas have any major college football programs in that city. SUMMARY: It is DAMNED hard to run a successful major college football program in the reality of the circumstances that Pitt confronts.

But don't let any of that bother you entitled, spoiled Panther fans...

Look, this much is fact: Since the time Pitt joined the ACC, Naduzzi's record as football HC had him # 2 in wins in the entire freakin' conference. And this was his 9th year, so not a fluke of a single year.

Also, there is a TON to be said about a head coach that runs a good, clean and family-oriented program... and in the last few years put more kids into the NFL than any other team in the ACC.

He is NOT likable. He is generally a POOR game manager. His recruiting is decent, when one considers the challenge of recruiting for a school that is the rare, CITY-BASED, football playing major college. I think HCPN leverages the football complex and stadium-share realities as well as anyone can (and there are +'s and -'s to it)

Finally, PITTSBURGH is the small metro area in the USA to have (3) Pro Sports franchises. And I am near positive that NONE of the larger metro areas have any major college football programs in that city. SUMMARY: It is DAMNED hard to run a successful major college football program in the reality of the circumstances that Pitt confronts.

He could be 8th in conference wins as soon as next season. It's Clemson and then 7 teams bunched together between 39 and 43.

Narduzzi inherited a decent team that was peaking (i.e. most of the better players were upperclassmen) from a guy who left on his own accord, rather than a bad team after a coach was fired. That helps his numbers quite a bit, but the water is starting to find its level.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Finally, PITTSBURGH is the small metro area in the USA to have (3) Pro Sports franchises. And I am near positive that NONE of the larger metro areas have any major college football programs in that city.

Really? No major college football teams in Los Angeles? Miami? Atlanta? Seattle? Chicago? Phoenix?

I’m sure you do genuinely believe that he knows what he’s doing.

• Haha

There’s a lot to laugh at in this post, but this is the most laughable part by far:

entitled, spoiled Panther fans...

Reactions: Large Panther
he is a good man by all accounts and the players and their parents like the man.

Just not WPIAL players, parents, or coaches though. And I know people say WPIAL recruits are overrated but you have to win SOME recruiting battles over PSU. Wanny used to. Heck, Duzz used to.

I watch a TON of college ball and have done so for 25ish years. The ONLY time Indiana football was exciting when they had guys named Randle El and Penix at quarterback. Other than that, they’re the modern day Nebraska without the history. I can remember Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern being more exciting than them.

Just not WPIAL players, parents, or coaches though. And I know people say WPIAL recruits are overrated but you have to win SOME recruiting battles over PSU. Wanny used to. Heck, Duzz used to.
It doesn't matter who you are winning them over. Get over the PSU stuff. We lose players to them, but we also lose players to WVU and ND and Kentucky, among others, recently. All of them count equally.

I thought sharing stadium realities was a HUGE recruiting advantage for Pitt football or so I've read a million times. N'est pas?

Yes, we need to stop saddling him with bad OC hires. It's a shame the university keeps screwing Narduzzi over like that.
In a way, they absolutely have screwed him over. The purse strings at Pitt have always been kind of tight when it came to the hiring of coaches. So yes, they they have been screwing Narduzzi over like that.

The reality of it is quite a few of the WPIAL coaches are obnoxious, arrogant pr*cks. They think because they a couple of 9 win seasons that the head coach of the local Power 5 college should cater to them and I'm glad that Pat Narduzzi doesn't do that.
Would it be nice to win a couple of those recruiting battles with a school like psu? Sure it would, but is that all on Pat Narduzzi??? I don't think so. Pitt has struggled for years to get the big named local kids to be interested in attending Pitt, My God, the Pitt football program has struggled for years to get the sons of former Pitt football prodigies to commit to the program. Pete Gonzalez, Jr. is a prime example among this years potential recruits.

Duzz is the one preventing that kind of offense from coming here, his ideas about offense are obsolete, like he is Woody Hayes :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT