ADVERTISEMENT

Horton reinstated

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Press release:

Junior guardIthiel Horton has been reinstated to the Pitt Basketball program school officials announced Thursday afternoon. Horton is available to participate in all team activities immediately after missing the past two months due to a suspension.

“We are grateful that Ithiel’s situation has been resolved,” said head coach Jeff Capel. “It is unfortunate that he had to miss the past two months, but I know he has remained hungry to get back with his teammates and have the opportunity to represent the University of Pittsburgh again. I am really proud of the way he handled his academic responsibilities, making the Dean’s List, while dealing with this situation. Ithiel has remained positive and confident throughout this process and we are eager to integrate him back into the team. His teammates were excited when they heard he has been cleared to rejoin the group. We look forward to his full return to the University of Pittsburgh and the opportunity to continue to mentor and lead a young man eager to make the most of his opportunity here."

Horton’s return will help bolster a Pitt backcourt led by Femi Odukale (12.4 ppg.) and Jamarius Burton (11.5 ppg.). Last season, he averaged 8.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game, while making a team-high 43 three-point field goals. Horton played in all 22 games (18 starts) and finished with 10 double-figure scoring games, including six contests with 15 or more points scored.

"I grateful to have this situation resolved and have the opportunity to get back to my life as a member of the Pitt basketball team and to fully return to the University of Pittsburgh,” said Horton. "The past two months have been extremely difficult but the support and constant encouragement from my family, Coach Capel, the rest of the coaching staff and my teammates really helped me stay strong and keep working. I am also thankful for the support and guidance from [Director of Athletics] Heather Lyke and the rest of the leadership group here at Pitt. I am just ready to put this behind me and get back out on the court with my teammates.”

Pitt returns to action Wednesday, Jan. 5 with a road trip to Louisville. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. with the game being broadcast on either ESPN2 or ESPNU. The Panthers have dropped their first two league games in heartbreaking fashion as both Virginia and Notre Dame hit game-winning fadeaways in the closing seconds of play to top Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News