ADVERTISEMENT

How bad were the missed FGs?

KiwiJeff

Head Coach
Jun 28, 2008
i wasn't able to catch the game. Were they close, or way off? Is there any other Ks available?

Kickoffs were great though. Leg is fine. XPs were fine too (opposite of our previous guy). Hopefully not gonna be a 4 year head case (sigh).

i wasn't able to catch the game. Were they close, or way off? Is there any other Ks available?
On the way to what I thought was sure to be a classic Pitt'ing another "only at Pitt" memory, the four yard loss on a brutal hit and near fumble on the center the ball for the kicker by the qb play. Classic.

On the way to what I thought was sure to be a classic Pitt'ing another "only at Pitt" memory, the four yard loss on a brutal hit and near fumble on the center the ball for the kicker by the qb play. Classic.
Only at Pitt (mostly) can just about the safest play in FB nearly turn into a disaster.

Thinking then ok we dodged a bullet
He missed a chip shot on an angle.
He was nervous
This is straight on and he's cool

This game is over.
But then Pitt, came back.....

They weren't the worst misses I've seen. When he strikes the ball well, the kicks are very nice, but you gotta make what should be the easy field goals.

Not as bad as ND kicker,was an all American a few years ago and misses almost everything this year

We need Wlat Harris to come in and teach the quarterbacks "the slide".

Well, either that or you simply hand the ball off to the running back to that side of the formation and tell him beforehand to not try any cutbacks or to bounce the ball outside, just run it up in there and where ever they tackle you they tackle you. Might even gain a few yards that way.

Nah, can't have that.

Only at Pitt (mostly) can just about the safest play in FB nearly turn into a disaster.

Thinking then ok we dodged a bullet
He missed a chip shot on an angle.
He was nervous
This is straight on and he's cool

This game is over.
But then Pitt, came back.....

College kickers are notoriously inconsistent. This isn't an "only at Pitt" thing.

We need Wlat Harris to come in and teach the quarterbacks "the slide".

Well, either that or you simply hand the ball off to the running back to that side of the formation and tell him beforehand to not try any cutbacks or to bounce the ball outside, just run it up in there and where ever they tackle you they tackle you. Might even gain a few yards that way.

Nah, can't have that.

Browne got absolutely blasted on that. I don't know what he was doing. Get on the ground or try to gain yardage. Don't just stand there.

Except for that K from Virginia Tech last year that hit like 5 or 6 FG against us. Ridiculous.

Virginia Tech kicker missed 2 FG attempts last night vs WVU and the longest miss was from 37-38 yards. Had he made even one, the drama of WVU's end of game drive to attempt to tie or win would have been meaningless.

IMO, he has a good build, strong leg and his form looks pretty good. Has more to work with than Blewitt.
This isn't something new, nearly every young, new kicker struggles, then gets it figured out out as he gets older and more experienced.
He was skittish and folded, the question is if that snowballs or if he can get a few makes under his belt and settle down.
And, Nards has yet to neck him him on the sideline.

Chris Blewitt missed his first three FGs last year all VERY badly.... not off the upright and just wide like Kessman's Saturday.

And two months later, Blewitt made the biggest kick in school history.

Relax.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT