But how about Lowe, his shooting stats were less percentage
wise than the team's 50%.
Pitt 50% Fgs and 50% 3's, pretty damn good! Lowe was 38%
FGs and 40% on his threes 17 pts. Yet he hit em when we
needed em. That three he hit near the end was crucial and
gave us some breathing room, it was NBA/Curry range. I
thought he played with ice in his veins. Oh by the way 6 assists
and 0 T0s. That is great for anyone, never mind a freshman
playing in one of the most difficult venues in America against a top 10 team.

I know I know......Hinson incredible night 7/7 threes and 24 Pts
JL’s game tonight was “Levance-like”. That’s what he reminded me of.

He didn’t make them all. But some of the ones he did make were DAGGERS!

Think he’s going to be a REAL good one.

This is not a criticism. He will learn to pass the ball on his drives to the hoop that will make him much more effective. I love this kid. He has played super.

This is not a criticism. He will learn to pass the ball on his drives to the hoop that will make him much more effective. I love this kid. He has played super.
Agree. But Pitt has to give him cutters to pass to. Not all the other guys just standing and watching him.

I would have someone dive to the rim every time JL drives as a lob or pass receiver.

Give him a dish option. Or at least have someone there to follow for an offensive rebound.

Agree. But Pitt has to give him cutters to pass to. Not all the other guys just standing and watching him.

I would have someone dive to the rim every time JL drives as a lob or pass receiver.

Give him a dish option. Or at least have someone there to follow for an offensive rebound.

Hate to be "that guy" after the big win tonight, but Papa Kante is going to clean house next year at center with the way Lowe and Carrington both try and do get the ball inside to the post players. Kante is a physical finisher in the interior.

You guys are now seeing the talent potential of both Lowe and Carrington with some ups and downs along the way. Kante's turn is coming with Cummings.

This is what actual talent looks like and does.

Hate to be "that guy" after the big win tonight, but Papa Kante is going to clean house next year at center with the way Lowe and Carrington both try and do get the ball inside to the post players. Kante is a physical finisher in the interior.

You guys are now seeing the talent potential of both Lowe and Carrington with some ups and downs along the way. Kante's turn is coming with Cummings.

Of course. But that has to actually happen.

Bub has to return to Pitt. Kante has to be healthy. Cummings needs to be ready as a college FR.

And Jaland needs to keep improving.

It all needs to happen and come together. And Jeff needs to fill his roster with 13 scholarship players. So that if crazy stuff happens again - injuries, off court stuff - Pitt has some realistic ability to respond. No reason not to fill all 13 spots in these times with all of the player movement happening.

No excuses.

Levance was just an incredible general and winner. Jaland can be better!

Reactions: PittMan 72

Bub has to return to Pitt. Kante has to be healthy. Cummings needs to be ready as a college FR.

It all needs to happen and come together. And Jeff needs to fill his roster with 13 scholarship players. So that if crazy stuff happens again - injuries, off court stuff - Pitt has some realistic ability to respond. No reason not to fill all 13 spots in these times with all of the player movement happening.

No excuses.
Bub has to improve a lot. Hes been dreadful. His ability to get to the rack is not that good as he’s not very good going to his left. Teams have been very physical with him and taken away his right hand. Hes got to get much stronger and work on his handle

IMO against good teams he’s not a plus player

Reactions: Millerton24

But that requires definitely bringing Capel back doesn’t it? He leaves so do some of the players.

Back to the OP

Jaland Lowe is becoming John Lucas III.

Training this summer when Lowe trains with Lucas III on a private 1 on 1 should serve him wonders going into next year.

And he made 2 FT's at the end with the Crazies screaming and jumping behind the basket. Lowe is the best PG we've had at Pitt since....well, Levance Fields. Levance was flashier but Jaland is smooth with a cold, steel-like stare behind that grin that shows his intensity. He's a classy, very good to great player. He could be one of our greatest if he sticks around.

He does need to add some strength and weight.

Bub has to improve a lot. Hes been dreadful. His ability to get to the rack is not that good as he’s not very good going to his left. Teams have been very physical with him and taken away his right hand. Hes got to get much stronger and work on his handle

Bub hasn't shown me much this year, other than the first game against the Little Sisters of the Poor and his triple double. He's inconsistent and needs to improve a lot before he's considered one of Pitt's best players. The contrast between Bub and Lowe is stark. Lowe is sooooo good.

My question is will Lowe be back? Bub will be back unless someone sees something in him that hasn't shown through yet. I'm concerned about Lowe returning. I know it's early, but the elites will come calling with bags of money and that will be hard to resist.

Cummings and Kante are unknowns and will take time to develop with the team. The team dynamics are the determining factor.

Bub hasn't shown me much this year, other than the first game against the Little Sisters of the Poor and his triple double. He's inconsistent and needs to improve a lot before he's considered one of Pitt's best players. The contrast between Bub and Lowe is stark. Lowe is sooooo good.

My question is will Lowe be back? Bub will be back unless someone sees something in him that hasn't shown through yet. I'm concerned about Lowe returning. I know it's early, but the elites will come calling with bags of money and that will be hard to resist.

Cummings and Kante are unknowns and will take time to develop with the team. The team dynamics are the determining factor.

Carrington is averaging over 5 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game, and has a 2.4-1 assist to turnover ratio. Those numbers are Elite for a freshmen and borderline Elite for any none freshmen guard. How many guards can you name averaging at least 5 boards per game and 4.5 assists per game this year with a 2.4-1 or better assist to turnover ratio? How about in the last 30 seasons at Pitt?

He's also in the running for ACC freshmen of the year and is 2nd in the entire ACC in points per game.

Ironically, so was Judah Mintz a year ago who finished 2nd in acc freshmen player of the year, another player I hyped who is going to what, be 1st team all acc this year perhaps and off to the NBA.

He does need to add some strength and weight.
No doubt. But he has a lot of things to his game that can’t necessarily be coached. Tangibles and intangibles.

He’ll definitely need to play better on the D end, too. Pitt needs to do a better job as team at closing out and contesting 3 balls.

Duke attempted 28 3 pointers last night. Compared to 21 2 pointers. While playing 2
7 footers a lot of the game. The allure of getting that 3rd point on a possession is powerful.

Carrington is averaging over 5 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game, and has a 2.4-1 assist to turnover ratio. Those numbers are Elite for a freshmen and borderline Elite for any none freshmen guard. How many guards can you name averaging at least 5 boards per game and 4.5 assists per game this year with a 2.4-1 or better assist to turnover ratio? How about in the last 30 seasons at Pitt?

He's also in the running for ACC freshmen of the year and is 2nd in the entire ACC in points per game.

Ironically, so was Judah Mintz a year ago who finished 2nd in acc freshmen player of the year, another player I hyped who is going to what, be 1st team all acc this year perhaps and off to the NBA.

I go by the eye test and how he looks at critical times in games. Bub has to develop yet and improve his shots and shot selection, and get a better handle. Lowe has already done most of that and knows his place on this team. I don't use metrics much because they can be misleading. I used to trade stocks for a living and I know how misleading numbers and metrics can be.

I go by the eye test and how he looks at critical times in games. Bub has to develop yet and improve his shots and shot selection, and get a better handle. Lowe has already done most of that and knows his place on this team. I don't use metrics much because they can be misleading. I used to trade stocks for a living and I know how misleading numbers and metrics can be.

He's an 18 year old freshmen that should be getting compared to other 18 year old freshmen, not 24 year old seniors. And he was barely ranked in the national top 100. He's far outperformed many players ranked higher than him.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
He's an 18 year old freshmen that should be getting compared to other 18 year old freshmen, not 24 year old seniors. And he was barely ranked in the national top 100. He's far outperformed many players ranked higher than him.

I never said he doesn't have talent or isn't one of the best freshmen out there. He is both. But as with all freshmen at his level, he has some development and improvement to do.

On the other hand, I think Lowe is the better freshman guard on this team. I admit we have 2 good ones right now. The difference is that Bub plays like a freshman sometimes. Jaland plays like a junior or senior. He just needs to build some strength and add a little weight.

Last edited:
I know I know......Hinson incredible night 7/7 threes and 24 Pts
Lowe was the straw that stirred the drink last night. Really outstanding game in that environment. The young man has come a long way very quickly.

Right now, Bub is not a 3 level scoring threat. He’s not getting points at the rim or even drawing many fouls. His 3 point shot has been off in conference play. (Hope the big one he made last night will help with his confidence). So his scoring has been almost exclusively off his mid-range, pull-up J.

Lowe on the other hand has shown the ability to score at all 3 levels. He has driven it and finished or gotten to the FT line. He has made some 3’s. But he also has that floater to use in the mid-range. That versatility can make him tough to guard.

As guys get more comfortable and familiar playing with him - and him with them - his assist/playmaking game ought to keep improving, too.

Right now, Bub is not a 3 level scoring threat. He’s not getting points at the rim or even drawing many fouls. His 3 point shot has been off in conference play. (Hope the big one he made last night will help with his confidence). So his scoring has been almost exclusively off his mid-range, pull-up J.

Lowe on the other hand has shown the ability to score at all 3 levels. He has driven it and finished or gotten to the FT line. He has made some 3’s. But he also has that floater to use in the mid-range. That versatility can make him tough to guard.

As guys get more comfortable and familiar playing with him - and him with them - his assist/playmaking game ought to keep improving, too.

Pretty good synopsis and comparison between the 2 guards and relative strengths. In addition, I think Lowe runs the team and offense better than Bub and is a very good defender.

Reactions: Millerton24
Pretty good synopsis and comparison between the 2 guards and relative strengths. In addition, I think Lowe runs the team and offense better than Bub and is a very good defender.
Bub will get better. I think he’ll get a LOT better. His length as a G is outstanding. He helps out very well on the defensive glass. He can play the 1 or the 2.

Maybe some of the good things came along a bit too fast for him? As the opposition has ramped up, the size, speed, strength and athleticism has maybe impacted him more than he thought it would?

But Bub has the tools. He‘ll work and adjust. Very high ceiling for him with plenty of room for him to improve and excel.

Updated Jaland Lowe ACC Conference only stats

24 minutes per game
10.6 points per game
3 assists per game
2 rebounds per game
40% FG
41% from 3
2.5-1 assist to turnover ratio
1 steal per game

These are far better than I would have thought even in the preseason. We have to let the rest of the season play out, but this is really good against the best teams in the ACC the first part of the conference. These are Lucas III numbers his freshmen year at Baylor.

Carrington's shooting numbers in the ACC conference only stats are 33% and 25% from 3. Let's see if he can do better during the 2nd stretch of the ACC schedule. My feeling is he is going to have to come back to school and his first round chances are getting close to being over for now. Which is obviously good for us because he isnt going to transfer.

Updated Jaland Lowe ACC Conference only stats

24 minutes per game
10.6 points per game
3 assists per game
2 rebounds per game
40% FG
41% from 3
2.5-1 assist to turnover ratio
1 steal per game

These are far better than I would have thought even in the preseason. We have to let the rest of the season play out, but this is really good against the best teams in the ACC the first part of the conference. These are Lucas III numbers his freshmen year at Baylor.

Carrington's shooting numbers in the ACC conference only stats are 33% and 25% from 3. Let's see if he can do better during the 2nd stretch of the ACC schedule. My feeling is he is going to have to come back to school and his first round chances are getting close to being over for now. Which is obviously good for us because he isnt going to transfer.

And I could be wrong, but didn't Capel not play Lowe as much in the beginning of the ACC season as he is now? He's playing him even more than 24 minutes/game now.

Bub will get better. I think he’ll get a LOT better. His length as a G is outstanding. He helps out very well on the defensive glass. He can play the 1 or the 2.

Maybe some of the good things came along a bit too fast for him? As the opposition has ramped up, the size, speed, strength and athleticism has maybe impacted him more than he thought it would?

But Bub has the tools. He‘ll work and adjust. Very high ceiling for him with plenty of room for him to improve and excel.

I agree....Bub has all of the tools and he will get better. It would certainly be ideal if he and Jaland stay together at Pitt for at least another year, hopefully more.

And I could be wrong, but didn't Capel not play Lowe as much in the beginning of the ACC season as he is now? He's playing him even more than 24 minutes/game now.

Yes, that is true. Lowe has started the last 4 games since the Louisville game (when Leggett was injured)and his minutes have gone up.

It was also reported by Capel that Lowe had an injury in the fall which made things a little harder for him when the season first started. I don't know how much truth there is to that or not.

The big thing is, from the the start of the season to right now, Lowe was missing a ton of short and midrange shots that were barely just missing from going in. Im talking by a hair. Ive made multiple comments on this throughout the season that it was only a matter of time before the short and midrange shots started falling a lot more consistently. Those shots are now falling at a much higher rate. The bigger surprise is the 3 point shooting percentage as he has always been streaky there. I think the 3 percentage falls a bit by season end.

He does run the offense better. He gets to the paint area, and the rim much better than Bub. He's just smoother, and smarter. He gets people involved. That's the job of the point guard. He is to know what each of his teamates are good at and get them the ball.

Levance was just an incredible general and winner. Jaland can be better!
I agree about Levance, he is one of my favorite Pitt players.
Jaland is a freshman, and what he did last night at Cameron
(as difficult a place as there is in college hoops)was not perfect,
but it was an outstanding performance. We don't even come
close to winning this game without him. Will he be as good
as Levance? No prediction here, but I'm really impressed with him
so far.

Last edited:
Some of those lobs to Fede and Diaz leading to easy dunks are
examples of him already doing what you suggested. As another
poster stated, some of those passes that he doesn't attempt are
because there is no cutter or anyone coming open off a set
play or motion offense. Much of what he does is one on one
because that's what Capel has the offense doing. Anyone watching
Capel's PG's over his years here, would have to be blind if they
didnt see that Capel runs a PG oriented offense that lends itself
to one on one play, starting with and including the PG.

Very true, and that's the comparison that should be made.
Hes actually playing even better than you suggested in the
pre season.

No excuses.
Nothing like Vader taking victory laps after getting to 2-5 in year 6.

Lowe has the IT factor. Little scary it took so long for the coaches to figure it out to play him. I didn’t even think he played that well last night and he still played well, if that makes sense. Hopefully he comes back

Very true, and that's the comparison that should be made.
Hes actually playing even better than you suggested in the
pre season.
Really liked his HS video. He’s been around some excellent basketball people like his dad and John Lucas growing up.

If he has the desire and the drive to keep working to get better and be the best he can be, think he can be very special.

Has a lot of talent and skills. Plus he has that outstanding change of pace ability that I absolutely love in a PG. Makes it very tough for a defender to be able to stay in front of him. That jab step also creates time and space for him to step back and/or pull up. Or blow by if the defender comes forward.

Can’t wait to see him continue to develop and use a high speed crossover and also be able to drive it with his right hand.

Lowe has the IT factor. Little scary it took so long for the coaches to figure it out to play him. I didn’t even think he played that well last night and he still played well, if that makes sense. Hopefully he comes back
I don’t have a big problem with bringing Lowe along a bit slower. Actually think some of Bub’s early success, against some weaker opposition, may be having some detrimental effect right now.

Consistency is the key to big time success. Flashing on occasion isn’t the answer. Have to do it over and over again. That’s what the really good players can do. And the really good teams can do. So we’ll have to see.

I don’t have a big problem with bringing Lowe along a bit slower. Actually think some of Bub’s early success, against some weaker opposition, may be having some detrimental effect right now.

Consistency is the key to big time success. Flashing on occasion isn’t the answer. Have to do it over and over again. That’s what the really good players can do. And the really good teams can do. So we’ll have to see.
Yeah I’m just so sick of a certain poster shitting on guys like Hinson and making every excuse in the world for the coaching staff and always saying next year. It’s stale already.

Stop talking about Jai and John Lucas already. Sophomore and beyond Jaland is better than any Duke 1 and done. And we better hope Jai doesn’t figure that out.

I didn’t even think he played that well last night and he still played well, if that makes sense.
Actually it does make sense. As I said above, he wasn't "perfect." But
then again who is. Part of what makes it more difficult for him, as I
watch Pitt's offense, is Capel's insistence on a PG oriented offense
that often puts the PG in a one on one situation. There's times Lowe
goes one on one becaause there's no other option. Capel's offense does
not have Lowe out there running set plays or even a motion
offense (which I would prefer with this crew). Yet with all that he had
6 Assists and 0 T0's. That is an incredible stat given the amount of
time he had the ball in his hands.

Actually it does make sense. As I said above, he wasn't "perfect." But
then again who is. Part of what makes it more difficult for him, as I
watch Pitt's offense, is Capel's insistence on a PG oriented offense
that often puts the PG in a one on one situation. There's times Lowe
goes one on one becaause there's no other option. Capel's offense does
not have Lowe out there running set plays or even a motion
offense (which I would prefer with this crew). Yet with all that he had
6 Assists and 0 T0's. That is an incredible stat given the amount of
time he had the ball in his hands.
Yeah he was terrific in that regard. Didn’t shoot the ball all that well but hit the big one when it counted

I think the "It" factor is called instinct. Jaland has that in spades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT