ADVERTISEMENT

How does Luxbacher keep his job?

nandoal28

Walk-on
Mar 7, 2005
Enough is enough. The soccer program is in shambles. An absolute embarrassment. How does he keep his job? Mind boggling.

He has been there forever and administration just does not care about soccer. He does not have full funding. Even if he did, Pitt would still lose.

SP absolutely doesn't care. Luxbacher can't beat other teams with limited scholarships and he couldn't win if Pitt had twice the maximum number of available scholarships. We won't fully fund any more men's sports because that would require adding another sport for women. That makes it difficult to hire a good coach.

Nothing like digging up the past and see just how far an athletic department can go with the right leadership. Amazing how the right hire can change the culture of a sport for both men and women. Now, if the football and basketball teams can improve and push those sports to top 25, we would approach more of a Stanford respect with athletic success across all sports. We have seen 4 sports just jump into national respect, we just need football and basketball to move forward in a big way.

Reactions: mike412 and Fk_Pitt
Nothing like digging up the past and see just how far an athletic department can go with the right leadership. Amazing how the right hire can change the culture of a sport for both men and women. Now, if the football and basketball teams can improve and push those sports to top 25, we would approach more of a Stanford respect with athletic success across all sports. We have seen 4 sports just jump into national respect, we just need football and basketball to move forward in a big way.

Well, that leadership was Scott Barnes. We got REALLY lucky with timing an the Jay Vidovich hire. It was a no brainer that fell into Pitt's lap. I don't think we get Randy without Jay being here first either.

And Fish was hired by Pederson.

Reactions: Pitt MD
Well, that leadership was Scott Barnes. We got REALLY lucky with timing an the Jay Vidovich hire. It was a no brainer that fell into Pitt's lap. I don't think we get Randy without Jay being here first either.

And Fish was hired by Pederson.
The story goes like this:

Jay left Wake to take over Portland Timbers 2. Didnt like it, quit after a year and wanted to get back into college. His old AD at Wake is good friends with Scott Barnes from their time spent working together on the NCAAT committee (which begs the question, do they let any schmo on that committee). The old Wake AD called Barnes and told him he had to hire him. Barnes, to his credit, convinced the university that he needed more funding so he can hire him

Whatever the reason for the hires, one thing they show is that following the “safe” path of automatically hiring an alumnus in the “minor” sports is not the answer.

Obviously, I’m extremely happy with the hires of Fisher and Vidovich, but I’m equally happy with Waldrum. He had a tougher hill to climb because women’s soccer can’t rely on foreign players nearly to the extent the men’s team can, and lots of top players verbal as early as 10th grade. So, there will likely be a two or three year lag between improved results and landing National recruits. I understand the same thing is true in women’s volleyball, so we should start to see Fisher get even better recruits in the next couple of years.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Whatever the reason for the hires, one thing they show is that following the “safe” path of automatically hiring an alumnus in the “minor” sports is not the answer.

Obviously, I’m extremely happy with the hires of Fisher and Vidovich, but I’m equally happy with Waldrum. He had a tougher hill to climb because women’s soccer can’t rely on foreign players nearly to the extent the men’s team can, and lots of top players verbal as early as 10th grade. So, there will likely be a two or three year lag between improved results and landing National recruits. I understand the same thing is true in women’s volleyball, so we should start to see Fisher get even better recruits in the next couple of years.
Excellent points

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT