ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT player rankings based on current form

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Excellent read from espn ranking the top 50 USMNT players based on how they are playing right now. Obviously Pulisic and McKennie are #1 and #2. Haven’t made it far enough down to see if Reyna even cracks the list, being that he hasn’t really played much for his club teams in what seems like years.

Hope this isn’t behind a pay wall.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
Good find. It’s behind a paywall but if you click the AA reader button next to the URL on your phone you can read it.

Reyna’s at #28. Said the last 3 years have been a wash.

Couple other random thoughts:
I’ve been hearing positives about Cardoso at Real Betis and Luca de la Torre.

Also Dest/Malik Tillman in the Dutch League are playing well.

Jedi Robinson might be the most impactful player in US soccer history that almost nobody talks about. A consistently solid player with speed, size and work rate. If Berhalter can figure out a way to alternate Dest and Jedi (assuming they hold their current form through the World Cup - a big “if”) making attacking runs out of the back, this squad could be so much fun. Dest has been too much of a loose cannon and inconsistent but maybe that stupid red card punting the ball into the stands has helped him grow up. I’ve heard nothing but positives about his play on both ends since.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Robinson still has to greatly improve his crossing post run down the wing.

Slonina really needs to pan out because the GK position is very unstable right now. We all knew the run would come to an end.

I really hope Todd Boehly, Tom tuchel and the rest of the idiots at Chelsea realize how the wasted 2 years of Pulisic’s prime. One of the best players in Europe.

Not to mention it was there for everyone to see while he was at Chelsea. There’s just no reason other than bias/politics that kept him on the bench there.

I really hope Todd Boehly, Tom tuchel and the rest of the idiots at Chelsea realize how the wasted 2 years of Pulisic’s prime. One of the best players in Europe.

Dest with a brilliant goal for PSV. Not as great as the goal that 16 year old scored for Barcelona yesterday. @mike412 how about that one?

Dest with a brilliant goal for PSV. Not as great as the goal that 16 year old scored for Barcelona yesterday. @mike412 how about that one?

That's similar to the goal that he scored against Costa Rica in Columbus at the world cup qualifier I was at. Except that one came from cutting in from the right wing and he put the ball into the top left corner. So like a mirror image.

BTW, Tyler Adams on the bench today for Bournemouth. Didn't get in the game, but that's a big step back in his return from his injury.

Watching Milan play this AM, and once again Pulisic is clearly the most dynamic player on the field. They’re up 1-0 and he scored the goal. Not a great goal at all but it’s deserved because he’s been all over the place. When he was at Chelsea I always wanted him playing on the left side. I always thought that was where he was best. At Milan he’s been almost exclusively on the right side and Milan have been such a right side dominant attack with him. I don’t know if it’s a depth thing in Italy or it’s just the way this manager operates, but he doesn’t rotate his squad too much. Pulisic has essentially started every game. But today Giroud didn’t start, likely due to playing that Europa league match on Thursday. If he had started this game he might have a couple goals because CP10 has served in a half dozen beautiful crosses that no one could head home. But Giroud being the best header in the world might have been on the other end of a couple.

Musah into the match now in the 62nd minute. And Pulisic replaced…certainly to manage his minutes.

Reactions: 121rum

he had those hamstrings, which always are a problem. never heal during the season. but he was really misused by Chelsea. just never gave him a run. did well at dortmund and not in Italy. hope he stays away from the EPL.

he had those hamstrings, which always are a problem. never heal during the season. but he was really misused by Chelsea. just never gave him a run. did well at dortmund and not in Italy. hope he stays away from the EPL.
Watching todays match vs a bottom 3rd club, it had me thinking that CP wouldn’t be doing that against relegation zone teams in England. Except he was doing that against everyone his first season at Chelsea. Sure he was tearing up the Burnleys at the bottom, and mid table Crystal Palaces. But he was tearing up the arsenals, Liverpools and Man City’s too. Not to mention what he did on the way to the Champions league to Ajax and across two legs vs Real Madrid in the semi.

Watching todays match vs a bottom 3rd club, it had me thinking that CP wouldn’t be doing that against relegation zone teams in England. Except he was doing that against everyone his first season at Chelsea. Sure he was tearing up the Burnleys at the bottom, and mid table Crystal Palaces. But he was tearing up the arsenals, Liverpools and Man City’s too. Not to mention what he did on the way to the Champions league to Ajax and across two legs vs Real Madrid in the semi.

I love when people refer to palace as mid-table. in my dreams!!!

In reality, most teams outside of the Big 6, now 7 with Villa rising to prominence, live in that realm on a yearly basis. Fulham was steadfast then dropped like a rock...then yo-yo'd for 4 years. West Ham, Everton...stalwarts over the past few years have flirted although West Ham is safe this season.

Regardless, its a fun ride and to be quite honest, when your club drops to the Championship, it's not all that terrible. It's an extremely fun league to follow and in my opinion, as a whole, the 6th best league overall in the world.

In reality, most teams outside of the Big 6, now 7 with Villa rising to prominence, live in that realm on a yearly basis. Fulham was steadfast then dropped like a rock...then yo-yo'd for 4 years. West Ham, Everton...stalwarts over the past few years have flirted although West Ham is safe this season.

Regardless, its a fun ride and to be quite honest, when your club drops to the Championship, it's not all that terrible. It's an extremely fun league to follow and in my opinion, as a whole, the 6th best league overall in the world.
Yeah. I like to look at it like college hoops. The Championship is the mountain west. That’s not terrible. Although some would like to say the ACC. Ha!

• Haha
Reactions: Allan McMurray
Thoughts on Chris Richards?

he didn't play very much under roy. that changed recently due to injuries. but he's been played out of position. new manager is going with 3 in the back so he's a little more in his best position (somewhat).

so far, so good. he's not making mistakes. he's ok going forward - not a lot but he does. too early to tell how good he can do in the league.

i personally can't stand defenders who make stupid mistakes. big pet peeve for me. he hasn't done that (yet).

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 121rum
BTW, Tyler Adams on the bench today for Bournemouth. Didn't get in the game, but that's a big step back in his return from his injury.

Adams is on the roster for the US for the Nations League semis and finals later this month.

Burp said he talked to his coach and he should be able to play up to 45 minutes a match.

Adams is on the roster for the US for the Nations League semis and finals later this month.

Burp said he talked to his coach and he should be able to play up to 45 minutes a match.
He played yesterday for Bournemouth. That’s a good sign.

Of course, I’m a chelsea supporter and based on what I’ve experienced over the past 2 years with our players is it means nothing because once they return to the lineup after injury, they play a few games and end up back on the shelf for a long period again.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Disappointed that Dest is back on the roster
He, along with Tillman and Pepi, play for a team running away with their league and all 3 played yesterday in PSVs loss to Dortmund in the Champions League. He's clearly one of their most talented players.

Let him serve the suspension, apologize to his teammates if he hasn't already, and move on.

Pulisic with another goal and assist today in Europa League.

Unreal.

Reactions: brdst11
Another goal for Pulisic today. I believe that’s 5 straight games. He’s leading AC Milan into 2nd place on Serie A, champions league qualification for next year, and maybe a Europa League Championship.

Man City says this is the best 14 year old in the world.

He, along with Tillman and Pepi, play for a team running away with their league and all 3 played yesterday in PSVs loss to Dortmund in the Champions League. He's clearly one of their most talented players.

Let him serve the suspension, apologize to his teammates if he hasn't already, and move on.
My thought has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with what he did down in T&T.

Just a depressing reminder that we talk about our golden generation, and yet England has a 21 year old player who is tied with Erling Haaland for the premier league lead in goals (20) and has 37 G\A this season combined. And he doesn’t even see the field yet for England.

PSV announced today that Sergino Dest hurt his knee in training yesterday, an injury that they called serious and said would cause him to miss significant time. So he is almost certainly out for the Copa.

Haji Wright scored on a stoppage time penalty for Coventry to finish a comeback from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game against Man U at 3-3, only to lose in penalties. Wright also converted his penalty, but a couple of his teammates missed, and that was that.

Oh, they just showed the highlights on USA, and Coventry scored a goal on a Wright assist in extra time, but VAR called it back because Wright was an inch offside. Literally, an inch.

Oh, they just showed the highlights on USA, and Coventry scored a goal on a Wright assist in extra time, but VAR called it back because Wright was an inch offside. Literally, an inch.
Didn’t realize that. Wow. Of course they did though right? Can’t have Coventry beating Man U at Wembley to get to the Cup final.

PSV announced today that Sergino Dest hurt his knee in training yesterday, an injury that they called serious and said would cause him to miss significant time. So he is almost certainly out for the Copa.

Haji Wright scored on a stoppage time penalty for Coventry to finish a comeback from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game against Man U at 3-3, only to lose in penalties. Wright also converted his penalty, but a couple of his teammates missed, and that was that.
Didn’t know that about Dest. That stinks. But even more worrisome is that Tyler Adams didn’t make the bench again for Bournemouth. Is that 3 games now? That’s not good. I know they were citing back spasms which is better than reinjuring his surgically repaired hammy or whatever it was. But a back injury isn’t comforting either.

Reyna started again for NF. Didn’t look at his advanced stats but he had a bunch of 0’s for the day. No shots and no fouls against or fouls drawn. No assists either. It appeared he drew a penalty here, but he doesn’t play for Man U or Liverpool so it wasn’t given. He was also pulled in the 52nd minute.

Reyna started again for NF. Didn’t look at his advanced stats but he had a bunch of 0’s for the day. No shots and no fouls against or fouls drawn. No assists either. It appeared he drew a penalty here, but he doesn’t play for Man U or Liverpool so it wasn’t given. He was also pulled in the 52nd minute.

Here's the thing about that play. Apparently the ref signaled when the play happened that it wasn't a foul because the defender got the ball. But on the replay it's clear that he did no such thing. So if you are the VAR and the ref says that it wasn't a penalty because the defender played the ball and your video shows that he didn't, how do you not stop the game and give the penalty?

Oh, right, because it was Nottingham Forest.

Here's the thing about that play. Apparently the ref signaled when the play happened that it wasn't a foul because the defender got the ball. But on the replay it's clear that he did no such thing. So if you are the VAR and the ref says that it wasn't a penalty because the defender played the ball and your video shows that he didn't, how do you not stop the game and give the penalty?

Oh, right, because it was Nottingham Forest.
AND apparently because it was Luton, and the VAR guy was a Luton supporter…if you are to believe the official Nottingham Forest twitter. Crazy stuff.

and I’m sorry. I didn’t watch the game, but I would assume that the Haji offside call took ten minutes to render a decision…and if it’s not clear and obvious after 15 seconds…the call on the field should stand. This is ridiculous. There is no advantage whatsoever to Haji’s position here and we have no idea the precise moment the ball left the foot of the passer. One could argue that the defender is running back while Haji was more upright. So whenever the ball left the foot of the passer he very well could have been onside. There was no clear advantage here for the attacker.

and I’m sorry. I didn’t watch the game, but I would assume that the Haji offside call took ten minutes to render a decision…and if it’s not clear and obvious after 15 seconds…the call on the field should stand. This is ridiculous. There is no advantage whatsoever to Haji’s position here and we have no idea the precise moment the ball left the foot of the passer. One could argue that the defender is running back while Haji was more upright. So whenever the ball left the foot of the passer he very well could have been onside. There was no clear advantage here for the attacker.

Like I said, he was literally an inch off sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT