ADVERTISEMENT

How will 2017 Pitt football follow up on beating Penn State and Clemson?

I think fair assessment. I keep saying 9 wins, but I have said that for the past decade.

According to this board, if SB Nation knew anything, they'd realize that Northwestern was a blowout and over in the first quarter.

That aside, I can't possibly imagine this club going 4-8. Also, is Georgia Tech that good?
I don't think they are saying GT is good. I think they are saying GT and Pitt are pretty much on the same level and the loser might find it hard to climb above the other into the top 2 or 3 in division after that.

I see Penn state, ok st, and Miami as losses.

At Virginia Tech will be a tough one too. I can see Pitt losing that one. The GT game sets the tone for Pitt's ACC Coastal play. Win that on the road and it could be clear sailing till late in the year.

I can see us losing to Penn State, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, and Miami. Imo an 8-4 season would be huge considering the amount we lost and the players we return in 2018. I think it'd also be big if we beat NC this year.

However, if we split the PSU/OSU games and beat GT, we could be looking at a 9-win season.

The scary thing is we probably got more bounces for us than against last year. The INT in the PS and Clemson games that saved our tails were more on the QBs miscues than any great schemes or truly exemplary plays our guys made. Certainly our guys deserve props for holding onto the catches, and in the latter case, making a nice return. But they were closer to gifts than we probably would like to admit.

And you ain't gonna be able to give up 61 points in a game and win very often.

GaTech is big early following the 2 states also considering a lot predicting them ahead of Pitt this year- and were close to beating Pitt last year @Pitt.
I'd say how about beating Carolina? ofer vs them.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Breaks go both ways. Psu caught us with a 40% James Conner and lots of chances to blow that game open.

VT how can you forget the calls against us by the refs?

Northwestern we lose Peterman and Conner, etc....does that change outcome?

Conversely if orndoff doesn't make that play against GT, that's a loss. If Weah doesn't score against Marshall, do we drop that Game?

I guess my point is that during the course of 13 games, our record is probably fair.

That said, a huge thing not to overlook is narduzzi and his conference record of 11-5. That tells me that we have found our coach. We need to lock him up by making a financial commitment NOW.

The scary thing is we probably got more bounces for us than against last year. The INT in the PS and Clemson games that saved our tails were more on the QBs miscues than any great schemes or truly exemplary plays our guys made. Certainly our guys deserve props for holding onto the catches, and in the latter case, making a nice return. But they were closer to gifts than we probably would like to admit.

Don't really agree, but even so the 'gifts' barely put a dent in 30+yrs of the opposite!

I am hoping in year 3, under the Nards regime. To see steady improvement. Both on the field and in the recruiting aspect of the program.

Anything less than a 7-5 season will be a big set back. If this team wins 9 or 10 games this year. Pitt better start finding creative ways to keep Nards here for a very long time. Regardless what programs come calling.

Year 3 is usually when you know if your coach is legit or not

Last edited:
Breaks go both ways. Psu caught us with a 40% James Conner and lots of chances to blow that game open.

Conversely if orndoff doesn't make that play against GT, that's a loss. If Weah doesn't score against Marshall, do we drop that Game?

I guess my point is that during the course of 13 games, our record is probably fair.

That said, a huge thing not to overlook is narduzzi and his conference record of 11-5. That tells me that we have found our coach. We need to lock him up by making a financial commitment NOW.
They could have called us for PI every single time VT threw the ball. We were lucky to get the no calls we got.

A recurring theme in these write-ups is how improved the ACC is. NC State will have their best team in years, but it may not show up on their win / loss record. I think the repeat teams on Pitt's schedule have all improved except for UNC and maybe VT.

I seem to recall tons of PI calls and lots of no calls on their receivers pushing off
We had 2 PI penalties called against us. Their WRs did push off several times, when they were already being interfered with. I honestly think they could have called us for 10-15 PI penalties.

We had 2 PI penalties called against us. Their WRs did push off several times, when they were already being interfered with. I honestly think they could have called us for 10-15 PI penalties.

How many of those no PI calls resulted in incomplete passes?

I'm not sure. I would have to watch the game again and I won't do that to myself.

Nor would I. My point remains is that you can always nit pick and find what you consider breaks one way or another but over the course of a season it evens out.

Do we beat OKST if that lightning delay does not occur? I forgot about that one...

I certainly agree with the VT game. Utter disgrace. No official should have emerged employed from it.

And oh yeah, the Orndoff deflection TD catch for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt0912
Nor would I. My point remains is that you can always nit pick and find what you consider breaks one way or another but over the course of a season it evens out.

Do we beat OKST if that lightning delay does not occur? I forgot about that one...
Maybe, but I think the VT game was officiated in our favor, despite our coach acting ridiculous because our players were neither talented enough or coached properly to execute. That needs to see major improvement this season.

Don't really agree, but even so the 'gifts' barely put a dent in 30+yrs of the opposite!
That's the scary part. We typically are totally slammed in the 'breaks' department. We should play Kurtis Blow at the end of the 3rd quarters. But we actually got a couple our way last year... yet still lost 5.

Bounces against should include the Whitehead fumble return for a TD being overturned; the whole 2nd half of the Pedst game; the UNC last drive; the lightning at OSU.

I wouldn't say Pitt got more breaks overall last season.

As the article points out though, Dantonio was 6-7 in year three at MSU, year 4 is when they began dominating.

Year 3 is usually when you know if your coach is legit or not

Last edited:
Bill Connelly's preview was posted for Pitt today.

"That means 4-8 and 10-2 are technically on the table, depending on the bounces that eluded the Panthers for so many years."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...anthers-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

Regardless.... we have a team that we, as fans, are proud of. A coach we are proud of, and seemingly new alumni every year in the NFL that make us more proud.

Too many question marks this year to predict a huge win total, but I totally see a good season with lots of growth

Reactions: JMP87 and JokePa

or if we had a secondary vs. PSU, we extend our 28-7 lead to maybe 35-7 and put them away early? You can spin things that way many times.. or how bout if Ok State doesnt get the rain delay? or if UNC recievers don't make every amazing play every humanly seen.... you get my drift

As the article points out though, Dantonio was 6-7 in year three at MSU, year 4 is when they began dominating.
I had listed a bunch of coaches way back who made a significant jump in year 3.

Pete Carroll ( USC ), Franklin ( Ped st and Vandy ), Matt Rhule ( Temple ) Peterson at Washington. Harbaugh at Stanford, Freeze at Ole Miss, the guy from Baylor who' s name escapes me. Are some off the top of my head

Reactions: Pitt0912
It's definitely commonly the big year, I just don't think that will be us and so I think it's important to show examples of coaches who didn't get their programs turned around quite as quickly.

I had listed a bunch of coaches way back who made a significant jump in year 3.

Pete Carroll ( USC ), Franklin ( Ped st and Vandy ), Matt Rhule ( Temple ) Peterson at Washington. Harbaugh at Stanford, Freeze at Ole Miss, the guy from Baylor who' s name escapes me. Are some off the top of my head

An overlooked thing that I liked about the article is how unbalanced the roster is. Chryst did a really nice job on the offensive side, but nothing better than a 3 star defender for 3 years. Hence the defense being so terrible. Look the past 2 years at narduzzi and he clearly sees the problems. I think we can get to 9 wins (including bowl game) but 7-5 would not surprise me, nor should it be cause for any concern. If narduzzi is our coach, years 4 and 5 should see vast improvements that are tangible. I just think this team surprises a few this year

I don't think they are saying GT is good. I think they are saying GT and Pitt are pretty much on the same level and the loser might find it hard to climb above the other into the top 2 or 3 in division after that.

I was looking at the "percentage" of a win for the GT game. I don't disagree but I guess I don't see GT as "that good". Does that make sense?

I was looking at the "percentage" of a win for the GT game. I don't disagree but I guess I don't see GT as "that good". Does that make sense?

Agree. It's the triple option cut block crap that negates usually having a crappy talent disadvantage

I don't think we are "that good" either. We are a team that could easily go 5-7 or 10-2. Depends on QB play, injuries, and luck. Plus, the schedule isn't all that difficult, but that GT game is on the road. Probably moves it from 50-50 pre season at our place to 60-40 them at their place. We just have a lot of question marks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT