ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley underrated -Bossi

BballinsiderfromPitt should be preaching to us any moment about not getting our hopes up.

I get your sarcasm but the fact of the matter is that Bossi and insider are just opinions. Don’t know why so many people get their panties in a wad one way or the other.

One of them could be right or the he could end up somewhere in the middle.

I never expect too much from true freshmen. Champagne was a nice surprise and hopefully we have a couple this coming year that can play meaningful minutes.

His game inside is very similar to Danny Fortson coming out of high school.

Eric Bossi. LOL.

I’m assuming that you’re taking the millennial approach in that his opinion aligns with how you think so it’s right? I’ll take Chris Holtman and Izzo’s opinion since he couldn’t commit to either of them. Hopefully, I’m wrong.

He is Tyrell Biggs.

Reactions: Las Panteras
I get your sarcasm but the fact of the matter is that Bossi and insider are just opinions. Don’t know why so many people get their panties in a wad one way or the other.

I never expect too much from true freshmen. Champagne was a nice surprise and hopefully we have a couple this coming year that can play meaningful minutes.
Pretty much this. Not sure why ppl get mad at an opinion that doesn’t align with their fantasy world but man it’s pretty sad. Eric Bossi saying this made John Hugley no better or worse than before he said this. Bossi is a complete dork.

Eric Bossi. LOL.

I’m assuming that you’re taking the millennial approach in that his opinion aligns with how you think so it’s right? I’ll take Chris Holtman and Izzo’s opinion since he couldn’t commit to either of them. Hopefully, I’m wrong.

He is Tyrell Biggs.
You absolutely, 100% do not hope that you’re wrong. You would relish in it.

Eric Bossi. LOL.

He is Tyrell Biggs.
So worse case scenario he is the equivalent to a guy who started on a team that made the Elite 8, and best case scenario would be he is similar to Fortson. That sounds like a win-win to me.

So worse case scenario he is the equivalent to a guy who started on a team that made the Elite 8, and best case scenario would be he is similar to Fortson. That sounds like a win-win to me.
Yes I’ve said several times he compared similarly to Biggs and I think Tyrell was underrated at Pitt. Man yinz are miserable.

1. XJ
2. Horton
3. Champagnie
4. Toney
5. Hugley as a stretch 5
Play 5 out and force other teams post to either defend the perimeter or sit out.

I gotta believe Hugley was a better high school player than Tyrell Biggs. Biggs was a limited offensive player during his time at Pitt, quite underwhelming actually.

My guess is that Hugley is a better offensive player than Biggs from day 1--- whenever that happens.

I gotta believe Hugley was a better high school player than Tyrell Biggs. Biggs was a limited offensive player during his time at Pitt, quite underwhelming actually.

My guess is that Hugley is a better offensive player than Biggs from day 1--- whenever that happens.
Biggs actually had a similar recruiting profile:

The game was way different for power forwards then, but Biggs was a quality player by the time he was a full-time starter as a senior - it’s unfortunate for him that he played in the shadow alongside another forward who was one of the best we’ve ever seen in a Pitt uniform.

Yeah, Biggs was a decent supporting player on quality teams.
I get the comparison on the surface, hopeful Hugs' ceiling is markedly higher.

Yeah, Biggs was a decent supporting player on quality teams.
I get the comparison on the surface, hopeful Hugs' ceiling is markedly higher.

When I watched some of Hugley's games, Tyrell did cross my mind because he liked to float on the perimeter and went through periods where he was not dedicated to post play on both ends (to his detriment). Hugley does similar things.

I think the difference between the two is that Hugley is longer and has more aggression with his athleticism/physicality. He seems much more comfortable playing a physical game than Tyrell was when he commits to doing so. The finishes appear to be easier because he is longer and more naturally athletic (has more quickness and elevates easier). I think Hugley's hands are quicker as well. He certainly is a more gifted passer.

Both guys at similar stages need(ed) conditioning work. Both like to play a perimeter game. But, I think stylistically Hugley is closer to Mike Young than Tyrell Biggs. More high level skill, I think. More physical attributes that lend to offensive production.

Biggs actually had a similar recruiting profile:

The game was way different for power forwards then, but Biggs was a quality player by the time he was a full-time starter as a senior - it’s unfortunate for him that he played in the shadow alongside another forward who was one of the best we’ve ever seen in a Pitt uniform.
That shouldn’t have stopped him from getting a rebound every now and again.

Leave simmer alone
He’s had a rough decade
That’s him? I don’t follow the free board often, but I’ve seen no references to Chester...

Actually, if hugley has any Chester in him, we will all be thrilled. And if ever a kid needed to get on campus this summer and work on his body, it would be him. Let’s hope...

When I watched some of Hugley's games, Tyrell did cross my mind because he liked to float on the perimeter and went through periods where he was not dedicated to post play on both ends (to his detriment). Hugley does similar things.

I think the difference between the two is that Hugley is longer and has more aggression with his athleticism/physicality. He seems much more comfortable playing a physical game than Tyrell was when he commits to doing so. The finishes appear to be easier because he is longer and more naturally athletic (has more quickness and elevates easier). I think Hugley's hands are quicker as well. He certainly is a more gifted passer.

Both guys at similar stages need(ed) conditioning work. Both like to play a perimeter game. But, I think stylistically Hugley is closer to Mike Young than Tyrell Biggs. More high level skill, I think. More physical attributes that lend to offensive production.

I pretty much see what you are seeing.

I don't mean this in a pejorative way, but Biggs was on the "soft" side as a big man coming out, and it was not until he got into his upper class years here that he really started to get a more physical mentality, and while he got better with it, it was not natural for him.

My impression is Hugs is working in the opposite direction. Particularly going back a few years and less conditioned, it seemed that what video was out there for him was as a traditional big man in the post.

But his HS coach has overtly coached him up to play away from the basket a lot. He is on the record a number of times about this, specifically with Hugs, from his own experience playing and his belief in where the game is (and has been increasingly over recent years heading). Has has really encouraged him to play away from the basket. While he is embracing that, not sure he is one of these big men who always fancied themselves as a small forward in the NBA.

As he has embraced his conditioning, you do see that he appears to have pretty solid hands and dexterity for a guy with his thicker frame and build.

I agree! On top of that is he is hungry and his drive to succeed is really high because he wants to get his mom out of that area. He has expressed how bad he wants to get his family into a better situation. You can see that he has a really good work ethic now by the way he changed his body.

Last edited:
That’s him? I don’t follow the free board often, but I’ve seen no references to Chester...

Actually, if hugley has any Chester in him, we will all be thrilled. And if ever a kid needed to get on campus this summer and work on his body, it would be him. Let’s hope...
I’ve been wrong plenty of times
But there is a plenty of similarities .
Particularly the “they couldn’t afford me” deflection

But he wasn't the first commit to be featured. Ugh.

Last edited:

Any of you guys watch 2020 Hugley film? He sure does look to be in excellent shape right now, and is listed as a wide 240lbs.

Any of you guys watch 2020 Hugley film? He sure does look to be in excellent shape right now, and is listed as a wide 240lbs.
I’ll take your word for it. But he certainly has the frame to add muscle. He just always struck me as a kid who could turn into a beast under Coach Christopher’s strength program.

I’ll take your word for it. But he certainly has the frame to add muscle. He just always struck me as a kid who could turn into a beast under Coach Christopher’s strength program.

Oh he can mos def can add muscle. But he's already big, strong, & fit.

And I still do not believe he's anything more than an average starter as a freshman. He's going to be a great Panther, but it may take a couple years IMO

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I pretty much see what you are seeing.

I don't mean this in a pejorative way, but Biggs was on the "soft" side as a big man coming out, and it was not until he got into his upper class years here that he really started to get a more physical mentality, and while he got better with it, it was not natural for him.

My impression is Hugs is working in the opposite direction. Particularly going back a few years and less conditioned, it seemed that what video was out there for him was as a traditional big man in the post.

But his HS coach has overtly coached him up to play away from the basket a lot. He is on the record a number of times about this, specifically with Hugs, from his own experience playing and his belief in where the game is (and has been increasingly over recent years heading). Has has really encouraged him to play away from the basket. While he is embracing that, not sure he is one of these big men who always fancied themselves as a small forward in the NBA.

As he has embraced his conditioning, you do see that he appears to have pretty solid hands and dexterity for a guy with his thicker frame and build.

Biggs was once a big time recruit. A guy that Duke followed heavily. People tend to forget that. But, as he went deeper into his H.S. years, they and a few other big programs fell off for the reasons that you cite. He never quite wanted to play with his size though he was very skilled. He also had some conditioning issues that he completely changed at Pitt (his physical transformation rivals most any other player that walked through the doors during Dixon's tenure, the only guy that I think had a bigger one was McGhee).

I have said this before, but I think the conditioning is still an issue for Hugley though it is vastly improved. He needs a lot of time with Christopher (also to work on his movement patterns). And, I am not sold on his motor/want to play big. But, I am sold on that when he wants to play big, he knows what to do and plays quick for his size. I am also sold on the versatility of his skill set and how it translates over time as he improves. I think that they will have to prod him at times but that he generally just wants to get it done (become a really good player).

His role next year will depend upon conditioning, in my view.

Hugly's another reason why Capel should agree to another series with Wvu.He'll kill Wvu on the boards and with Pitt's guards Capel would win 3 of the next 4 at the least. Huggy wanted Hugly badly but Capel best him again on the recruiting front.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Biggs was once a big time recruit. A guy that Duke followed heavily. People tend to forget that. But, as he went deeper into his H.S. years, they and a few other big programs fell off for the reasons that you cite. He never quite wanted to play with his size though he was very skilled. He also had some conditioning issues that he completely changed at Pitt (his physical transformation rivals most any other player that walked through the doors during Dixon's tenure, the only guy that I think had a bigger one was McGhee).

I have said this before, but I think the conditioning is still an issue for Hugley though it is vastly improved. He needs a lot of time with Christopher (also to work on his movement patterns). And, I am not sold on his motor/want to play big. But, I am sold on that when he wants to play big, he knows what to do and plays quick for his size. I am also sold on the versatility of his skill set and how it translates over time as he improves. I think that they will have to prod him at times but that he generally just wants to get it done (become a really good player).

His role next year will depend upon conditioning, in my view.
Yeah, I am not ruling out that he might be more impactful next year, but have modest expectations. He almost HAS to take Kene and Hamiltons role splitting time with Brown, but I am hoping for him being modestly more productive. Not a stud day one, though would be real happy if he is.

Yeah, I am not ruling out that he might be more impactful next year, but have modest expectations. He almost HAS to take Kene and Hamiltons role splitting time with Brown, but I am hoping for him being modestly more productive. Not a stud day one, though would be real happy if he is.

If we get this season's Brown again, Hugley will take much of his playing time IMO. That is if AKC doesn't take those minutes first.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT