ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley underrated -Bossi

I think the the question with John will be his mobility on both ends of the court. He can shoot and pass, but if his mobility wasn't a question, he would have been a top 50 recruit (or better) instead of a top 100 recruit.

In September, I talked to someone who knows Hugley's abilities very well and he had significant concerns about his mobility then, even saying that he didn't think he was yet ACC ready from that standpoint. However, I does look like he's made some strides since then. I can't say how much though.

In short, until I get better evidence, I expect Big John to play a role similar in size and minutes to Eric Hamilton. If mobility is an issue, foul trouble will likely follow. I do hope John improves our rebounding, because we certainly need it. Even if he just clears out space, perhaps he will let some rebounds fall into the hands of other Panthers. But Eric Hamilton type numbers in terms points and rebounding are my expectation.

Hopefully, we will get much more than this from him of course.
I think John & AKC will get most of the minutes, maybe as a tandem occasionally. Both seem to move the ball well.. Could help against zones.

I think the the question with John will be his mobility on both ends of the court. He can shoot and pass, but if his mobility wasn't a question, he would have been a top 50 recruit (or better) instead of a top 100 recruit.

In September, I talked to someone who knows Hugley's abilities very well and he had significant concerns about his mobility then, even saying that he didn't think he was yet ACC ready from that standpoint. However, I does look like he's made some strides since then. I can't say how much though.

In short, until I get better evidence, I expect Big John to play a role similar in size and minutes to Eric Hamilton. If mobility is an issue, foul trouble will likely follow. I do hope John improves our rebounding, because we certainly need it. Even if he just clears out space, perhaps he will let some rebounds fall into the hands of other Panthers. But Eric Hamilton type numbers in terms points and rebounding are my expectation.

Hopefully, we will get much more than this from him of course.
If he was 6’5” or 6” I would agree , but at 6’”9 he’ll get plenty of open opportunities to shoot over much smaller opponents. Without a doubt his physical condition will determine his productivity , but if we know this so does he and he’s been busy remaking his body .
Unfortunately we don’t have Greentree to get a glimpse of his conditioning and his skills and will just have to wait until college bb resumes ....whenever that is .
I’ll stay on the optimistic side at least until I see him action .

If he was 6’5” or 6” I would agree , but at 6’”9 he’ll get plenty of open opportunities to shoot over much smaller opponents. Without a doubt his physical condition will determine his productivity , but if we know this so does he and he’s been busy remaking his body .
Unfortunately we don’t have Greentree to get a glimpse of his conditioning and his skills and will just have to wait until college bb resumes ....whenever that is .
Certainly nothing wrong with being optimistic!

It really surprises me that Izzo didn’t put the full court press on Hugley early to try and land him. He seems like the typical Michigan state big. Maybe not as tough as Xavier Tilman but a very similar build.

Reactions: cabe23
I don’t think many on here think Hugley is going to come in and be DeJuan Blair...

But it certainly seems possible that he comes in and pushes hard for the starting center job or at least close to equal minutes. Simply clearing space and being a physical presence is something we didn’t really have last year.

I see Terrell Brown next year as a guy who a lot of the times plays 14-18 min but then every once in a while he’ll have one of those “locked in” games where he looks 1st team All-ACC and goes for 12, 7 boards, and 5 blocks and plays 28 minutes.

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point the light is going to suddenly come on for Terrell with regards to his motor. But he still has value... the key is making sure the other pieces, Hugley, AKC, Max?... are ready so that they can play when Terrell is playing as Sleepy.

Reactions: H2PisIT
Can anyone at this time realistically give an assessment if we'll even be able to go to The Pete this year and watch our Panthers? I hope we can, but maybe it's too early yet to tell.

I'm hoping the Mrs. is OK?

She's fine but hasn't left the house in a month. She's in the high risk category if she would get it. I'm working from home and trying to limit her trips and and down the stairs. Just made her sammiches.

Reactions: Tonyt66
I see Terrell Brown next year as a guy who a lot of the times plays 14-18 min but then every once in a while he’ll have one of those “locked in” games where he looks 1st team All-ACC and goes for 12, 7 boards, and 5 blocks and plays 28 minutes.

This is basically why he averaged 19.8 minutes a game this past season.

This is basically why he averaged 19.8 minutes a game this past season.

Brown averaged 18.3 minutes per game for this season.

In the last 10 games of the season, Brown averaged 16.5 minutes per game.

In the last 5 games of the season, Brown averaged 10 minutes per game.

Brown's minutes decreased year over year by 1.3. I do expect a decrease next year.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/terrell-brown-5-player-stats

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4278018/terrell-brown

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4278018/terrell-brown

Brown averaged 18.3 minutes per game for this season.

In the last 10 games of the season, Brown averaged 16.5 minutes per game.

In the last 5 games of the season, Brown averaged 10 minutes per game.

Brown's minutes decreased year over year by 1.3. I do expect a decrease next year.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/terrell-brown-5-player-stats

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4278018/terrell-brown

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4278018/terrell-brown

I wouldn't doubt he drops a little from his 19.8 season average. That's why my number above was 17-18 minutes.

She's fine but hasn't left the house in a month. She's in the high risk category if she would get it. I'm working from home and trying to limit her trips and and down the stairs. Just made her sammiches.
Good man. Tell her Hello!

I wouldn't doubt he drops a little from his 19.8 season average. That's why my number above was 17-18 minutes.

The interesting thing with Brown is he always plays more MPG in ACC play than he does overall.

I would guess that happens again next year, as Pitt still doesn’t look likely to have anybody with ACC size who will be particularly ready to play 20 or more minutes.

Terrell Brown got 19.8 minutes a game this past campaign and I’d be surprised if he gets any less than 17-18 this coming year.

To help improve NTOP's day-- someone in another thread posted that Brown's minutes/game became significantly reduced late in the season. Need to verify that one, though.

To help improve NTOP's day-- someone in another thread posted that Brown's minutes/game became significantly reduced late in the season. Need to verify that one, though.
He got 3 minutes in the win over wake....0 points. Got 4 minutes in the loss to NCSU.....0 points.
AKC & Hamilton got the minutes. You can access this info above

Indeed! I should also add that like think Big John will be a good player. Just maybe not quite as "right away" as we might like.
I certainly don't expect him to be a 18 and 12 type player as a freshman. I expect him to give us a better option offensively and a better rebounding presence overall though.

I will add this to move forward. I suspect that those who feel that Hughley is going to come and be our main minutes grabber at the five might end up being disappointed next year. The reality is that few bigs are ready to come in and play 25 minutes a game and average 11 points and 9 rebounds like Blair did.

The situations like Birch and Adams are much more the rule with freshmen -- especially freshmen bigs.

I agree. I'm expecting AKC to be the most impactful forward on the roster next year. When he got 10+ minutes in ACC play, he performed well. It only happened 5 times, but in those games he averaged 6.4 ppg and 4.0 rpg on 62% shooting. He still has some things to work out as he continues his transition into a frontcourt player, but I'm shocked at how many people are sleeping on him given the flashes he showed this past year.

Reactions: CougarClaws
I agree. I'm expecting AKC to be the most impactful forward on the roster next year. When he got 10+ minutes in ACC play, he performed well. It only happened 5 times, but in those games he averaged 6.4 ppg and 4.0 rpg on 62% shooting. He still has some things to work out as he continues his transition into a frontcourt player, but I'm shocked at how many people are sleeping on him given the flashes he showed this past year.

I'll admit I'm sleeping on him ... even still. But he certainly was very decent in the ACC tournament Wake game .

What I've heard is that he sees himself much more as a 3-4 guy than a center though,

I'll admit I'm sleeping on him ... even still. But he certainly was very decent in the ACC tournament Wake game .

What I've heard is that he sees himself much more as a 3-4 guy than a center though,

He was a wing just a few years ago, but he really needs to divest himself of that delusion IMO. I can see a world where he makes a very good stretch four, but not a wing. Not in the ACC.

Checked the Pitt Official Site Stats--

(1) Brown averaged 18.3 min/game over the the entire season
(2) His minutes dropped off after the Virginia game
(3) His last 5 games minutes played were this--
Syracuse - 16 min
NC State - 13 min
GA Tech - 14 min
Wake For - 3 min (ACCT)
NC State - 4 min (ACCT)
(4) The 5 games prior to that (ending with 31 min vs UVA) he averaged 23 min/game

Checked the Pitt Official Site Stats--

(1) Brown averaged 18.3 min/game over the the entire season
(2) His minutes dropped off after the Virginia game
(3) His last 5 games minutes played were this--
Syracuse - 16 min
NC State - 13 min
GA Tech - 14 min
Wake For - 3 min (ACCT)
NC State - 4 min (ACCT)
(4) The 5 games prior to that (ending with 31 min vs UVA) he averaged 23 min/game
Capel seemed to be preparing for next season.

I don’t think many on here think Hugley is going to come in and be DeJuan Blair...

But it certainly seems possible that he comes in and pushes hard for the starting center job or at least close to equal minutes. Simply clearing space and being a physical presence is something we didn’t really have last year.

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point the light is going to suddenly come on for Terrell with regards to his motor. But he still has value... the key is making sure the other pieces, Hugley, AKC, Max?... are ready so that they can play when Terrell is playing as Sleepy.
Locked in the locker room, maybe?

Reactions: pittjas
He was a wing just a few years ago, but he really needs to divest himself of that delusion IMO. I can see a world where he makes a very good stretch four, but not a wing. Not in the ACC.

He really needs to be able to take up some minutes at the 4 this year because, yeah, he's not a wing and he's not a 5 in the ACC long-term.

He does have length to help him, but even then he still plays small on defense. In watching his FIBA games when they streamed, his length is much more helpful to him when it comes to keeping guys in front of him laterally instead of defending the rim and playing vertically.

Man you must REALLY be connected in butler county. I actually feel bad for you now

at the very least, I don't jerk people around on this board like you do. You go on Twitter and Instagram and Dm HS kids like the fool you are. Even DM parents and coaches and call yourself an "insider" because of it. You're pathetic honestly. Stop spreading lies on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT