ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley hypothetical

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Lets say Hurley tells Heather:

"Heather, I've met with UConn and they are offering $3 million per year. That is where my wife and I would prefer to coach but we are also considering Pitt. Please tell me what is the maximum amount of money you could offer. I will then take that back to UConn and make a decision from there."

1. What's the maximum amount we can offer?

2. How much less money do you think he'd take to coach UConn?

"Heather, I've met with UConn and they are offering $3 million per year. That is where my wife and I would prefer to coach but we are also considering Pitt. Please tell me what is the maximum amount of money you could offer. I will then take that back to UConn and make a decision from there."

That is exactly what Hurley will tell her.

Yep we'll match best offer to avoid furthering a bidding war or being out of the mix over money. The question for him will be is Uconn based on geography and proven ability to compete for national titles or Pitt based on conference more so. I am concerned the answer isn't what I'd prefer.

I would be surprised Pitt goes more than $2.5 for a coach. Can’t see them paying more than what Narduzzi is getting. Maybe I am wrong.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I would be surprised Pitt goes more than $2.5 for a coach. Can’t see them paying more than what Narduzzi is getting. Maybe I am wrong.

We were paying Stallings $2.5. In today's market, a good coach (not a great one) like Crean is getting $3 million.

Well maybe coaching in the ACC and 2.5 mil is more attractive to a coach than 3 mill coaching in whatever conference U Conn is in

Please tell me what is the maximum amount of money you could offer. I will then take that back to UConn and make a decision from there.

Pitt should tell him that this is our best offer, but that we will not be engaging in any bidding war with UConn or anyone else for your services. This is the offer, take it or leave it.

Because people who tell you that they are going to take your offer back to someone else to see if they will meet or beat it don't really want to work for you, they want to use you to get what they want someplace else. There's no reason that we should agree to be a part of that.

Reactions: ScrantonicityIII
Pitt should tell him that this is our best offer, but that we will not be engaging in any bidding war with UConn or anyone else for your services. This is the offer, take it or leave it.

Because people who tell you that they are going to take your offer back to someone else to see if they will meet or beat it don't really want to work for you, they want to use you to get what they want someplace else. There's no reason that we should agree to be a part of that.

-Why? It works for Georgia, they hired Crean real quick, looks like that AD isnt so dumb after all. Got a quality coach

-You want to win or not? Pay up already and beat your competition for whoever you are targeting. We just blew $20 million dollars on this fiasco. $20 million. Its almost impossible to believe Ghallager and the AD was this stupid and blind. And you want to play ball with money games? Thank God you arent the AD, we would end up with Stallings part 2 because you low balled the offer.

The budget I heard was more than $2.5MM for the head coach and over $1.0MM for assistants. I heard $3.0MM+ for the head coach. But who knows.

Why? It works for Georgia, they hired Crean real quick, looks like that AD isnt so dumb after all. Got a quality coach

How did it work for Georgia? When did Crean tell Georgia that he preferred to coach someplace else but that if they made him an offer he'd take it to the other school to see if they'd match or beat it and then let Georgia know if he would take the job or not? If he did that, who was the school that he preferred to Georgia that refused to match or better the Georgia offer that sent Crean back to Georgia to accept their offer?

Sometimes I really have to wonder if you have any idea at all what you are talking about.

-Here is the size of the hole right now Joe,
How did it work for Georgia? When did Crean tell Georgia that he preferred to coach someplace else but that if they made him an offer he'd take it to the other school to see if they'd match or beat it and then let Georgia know if he would take the job or not? If he did that, who was the school that he preferred to Georgia that refused to match or better the Georgia offer that sent Crean back to Georgia to accept their offer?

Sometimes I really have to wonder if you have any idea at all what you are talking about.

-I warned you they threw out the Matta figure publicly because the dollar amount was high. They didnt screw around, they went after top coaches. It didnt take long for Crean to accept. Hell, CBS was reporting he would take the job before he was even in Athens. What does that tell you? Bullshit talks, Money Walks.

I warned you they threw out the Matta figure publicly because the dollar amount was high. They didnt screw around, they went after top coaches. It didnt take long for Crean to accept. Hell, CBS was reporting he would take the job before he was even in Athens. What does that tell you? Bullshit talks, Money Walks.

That doesn't have anything at all to do with the post that you quoted and replied to. That's one of the things that so "great" about engaging with you. You reply to a post with utter nonsense that has nothing at all to do with what you are replying to, and then when someone points that out you go off on a completely unrelated tangent.

If you are going to quote and respond to a post of mine with something that has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I posted you shouldn't be surprised when I point that out.

That doesn't have anything at all to do with the post that you quoted and replied to. That's one of the things that so "great" about engaging with you. You reply to a post with utter nonsense that has nothing at all to do with what you are replying to, and then when someone points that out you go off on a completely unrelated tangent.

If you are going to quote and respond to a post of mine with something that has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I posted you shouldn't be surprised when I point that out.

-No, your sales pitch sounded like it came from Dixon or Stallings.

Here's how you bait the hook and get interest.

-Hello Coach, I wanted to reach out to you because I think you could be an excellent fit to rebuild our basketball program and take us to great levels again.

Coach- Really? That's great. But your program is in major trouble, what are you offering?

-We fully understand at Pitt we are rebuilding the program and are 120% committed to rebuilding it. We are upgrading facilities, but more importantly, I can share with you we are offering the next coach at least $3 million dollars per year minimum. We would like to interview you for the position, when are you available?

Coach- Hmmm, $3 million is enticing. I can certainly fly in for a short meeting to listen to more of what you have to say.

Fantastic, see you soon.

Bait, Switch. In, Interest immediately.

-To bad old Pat Gallagher and AD couldnt sell free $1 dollar bills to homeless people. Let's see if Lyke can change that tune. Because Barnes was all talk, no walk

-No, your sales pitch sounded like it came from Dixon or Stallings.

Here's how you bait the hook and get interest.

-Hello Coach, I wanted to reach out to you because I think you could be an excellent fit to rebuild our basketball program and take us to great levels again.

Coach- Really? That's great. But your program is in major trouble, what are you offering?

-We fully understand at Pitt we are rebuilding the program and are 120% committed to rebuilding it. We are upgrading facilities, but more importantly, I can share with you we are offering the next coach at least $3 million dollars per year minimum. We would like to interview you for the position, when are you available?

Coach- Hmmm, $3 million is enticing. I can certainly fly in for a short meeting to listen to more of what you have to say.

Fantastic, see you soon.

Bait, Switch. In, Interest immediately.

-To bad old Pat Gallagher and AD couldnt sell free $1 dollar bills to homeless people. Let's see if Lyke can change that tune. Because Barnes was all talk, no walk

Once again, your post has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I originally posted and you originally quoted and responded to.

Once again, your post has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I originally posted and you originally quoted and responded to.

This is your quote on how to sell and do business, and its friggin weak.

"Pitt should tell him that this is our best offer, but that we will not be engaging in any bidding war with UConn or anyone else for your services. This is the offer, take it or leave it.

Because people who tell you that they are going to take your offer back to someone else to see if they will meet or beat it don't really want to work for you, they want to use you to get what they want someplace else. There's no reason that we should agree to be a part of that"

This is your quote on how to sell and do business, and its friggin weak.

"Pitt should tell him that this is our best offer, but that we will not be engaging in any bidding war with UConn or anyone else for your services. This is the offer, take it or leave it.

Because people who tell you that they are going to take your offer back to someone else to see if they will meet or beat it don't really want to work for you, they want to use you to get what they want someplace else. There's no reason that we should agree to be a part of that"

OK, now I get it. You think that when someone tells you that they don't really want to work for you but they would like you to make them an offer that they can take back to who they really want to work for so they can try to get a better deal out of them that the "strong" thing to do is oblige them and allow them to use you to get a better deal elsewhere. And hey, if it doesn't work out for them with the job they really want then maybe they will settle for your job instead!

What you are advocating here is for Pitt to allow themselves to be used by someone who doesn't actually want to be here. And you think that not allowing them to use you like that if "friggin weak".

Sometimes I wonder if you have any idea at all what you are talking about. Other times, like this one, there's no need to wonder.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
OK, now I get it. You think that when someone tells you that they don't really want to work for you but they would like you to make them an offer that they can take back to who they really want to work for so they can try to get a better deal out of them that the "strong" thing to do is oblige them and allow them to use you to get a better deal elsewhere. And hey, if it doesn't work out for them with the job they really want then maybe they will settle for your job instead!

What you are advocating here is for Pitt to allow themselves to be used by someone who doesn't actually want to be here. And you think that not allowing them to use you like that if "friggin weak".

Sometimes I wonder if you have any idea at all what you are talking about. Other times, like this one, there's no need to wonder.

-You dont know how to sell. If I was a Coach and you called me on the phone with a take it or leave attitude with a program that is at the bottom of the ocean, I would laugh and you would hear click. It is an AD's job to sell the school to a Coach. If they cant do that, they are way over their head.

I'd like to say the stupidity on this site never ceases to amaze me but there's so much of it that I've come to expect it....this one however is up there. Yes Pitt should allow themselves to be played by other coaches..........

-You dont know how to sell. If I was a Coach and you called me on the phone with a take it or leave attitude with a program that is at the bottom of the ocean, I would laugh and you would hear click. It is an AD's job to sell the school to a Coach. If they cant do that, they are way over their head.

And you, apparently, are a guy who gets walked all over all the time and doesn't even have the common sense to understand when they are being used.

This isn't about selling the school to a coach. This is about a coach telling you that he really doesn't want to be here, he prefers to be somewhere else, but that he'd like you to make him an offer that he can take back to a competitor in an effort to get them to sweeten the pot for him. And if doing that fails, that if you are lucky he may come back to you and accept your offer even though he doesn't really want to be at your school.

If you are Pitt's AD and Hurley says to you "I don't really want your job, but I want you to make me an offer that I can take back to UConn to try to get a better deal out of them, and if it doesn't work out with them maybe I'll come back here and accept your offer" you'd really be OK with doing that? Seriously? That wouldn't make you strong. That would make you pathetic.

And you, apparently, are a guy who gets walked all over all the time and doesn't even have the common sense to understand when they are being used.

This isn't about selling the school to a coach. This is about a coach telling you that he really doesn't want to be here, he prefers to be somewhere else, but that he'd like you to make him an offer that he can take back to a competitor in an effort to get them to sweeten the pot for him. And if doing that fails, that if you are lucky he may come back to you and accept your offer even though he doesn't really want to be at your school.

If you are Pitt's AD and Hurley says to you "I don't really want your job, but I want you to make me an offer that I can take back to UConn to try to get a better deal out of them, and if it doesn't work out with them maybe I'll come back here and accept your offer" you'd really be OK with doing that? Seriously? That wouldn't make you strong. That would make you pathetic.

-And I taught you how to do that. I offered 3 million with the expectation he has to take personal time to come visit me to talk about the school and how much Im willing to offer. Im not teaching sales tactics on this board, so Im stepping away from this now.

-If Im offering 3+ million dollars, Top 10 money, and I cant get a visit from a Coach, I know hes not interested. If I get a visit, I got a chance to close the deal. Maybe the chance is 1%, but I got what I wanted. A commitment from him to visit on his personal time to discuss the job. If he says whats your highest offer on the phone, I know he is mostly time wasting.

How do you know the athletic director is even authorized to spend 3 million a year? Especially considering the absurd cost of Stallings buyout?

See ya.

-And I taught you how to do that. I offered 3 million with the expectation he has to take personal time to come visit me to talk about the school and how much Im willing to offer. Im not teaching sales tactics on this board, so Im stepping away from this now.

-If Im offering 3+ million dollars, Top 10 money, and I cant get a visit from a Coach, I know hes not interested. If I get a visit, I got a chance to close the deal. Maybe the chance is 1%, but I got what I wanted. A commitment from him to visit on his personal time to discuss the job. If he says whats your highest offer on the phone, I know he is mostly time wasting.

You keep posting things that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the hypothetical that was being discussed, and yet you somehow think that you have the answer to the question. You really, truly, have no idea what you are talking about here.

The only thing that you've taught anyone is that you think that if you ignore what you are being asked and instead answer a completely different question that you think you are somehow making sense. You aren't. Answering a different question than the one that was asked doesn't make you right, it makes you a fool.

You keep posting things that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the hypothetical that was being discussed, and yet you somehow think that you have the answer to the question. You really, truly, have no idea what you are talking about here.

The only thing that you've taught anyone is that you think that if you ignore what you are being asked and instead answer a completely different question that you think you are somehow making sense. You aren't. Answering a different question than the one that was asked doesn't make you right, it makes you a fool.

-You never answer number 1 on the phone, NEVER. That is putting all your cards on the table and gives you zero power from the get go. You need commitment he will visit the school just like a recruit. No commitment for his personal time, no offer of most I will give. He gives first, then I give. 3 million, or whatever figure approved by Pitt in the prelim rounds, is a feeler question to see how he responds. My first call is to bait him with my lowest number as worst case scenario. Only idiots throw out best case numbers scenario on preliminaries. Under promise, Over deliver. My job is to close him at Pitt and sell the school. If I can sell him on the school, my answer is 3.5-3.8 million with winning bonuses built in if you sign right now. If you dont sign right now, the offer is gone and that I have another coach ready to go. Thats a hard close. that I have options and not playing around with him. nor waiting for him. And I will have the second option already sold for the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT