ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Basketball Specific NIL

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
As a follow up to the Coach Capel show the other night, specifically Dr. Duca's appearance, wanted to follow up with more information for anyone interested. It's quite obvious how different the college sports landscape is now. There are certainly pros and cons to it, but we are certainly in a new world. One thing that it has done is shown a light on transparency and access. There are not as many secrets and the reality is that these NIL operations are all within reach for anyone. All of these collectives need to think outside of the box and get creative in raising funds. Dr. Duca is one of the leaders in that effort, alongside John Pelusi Jr. Obviously anyone is welcome to make donations to wherever they would like if able, but this is basketball specific information for this forum. The basketball staff has several members that spend hours every week analyzing the open market, finances, potential transfers in/out, etc. If you don't have that on your staff, you almost have no chance.

We are in a world without a salary cap or rules. What you will see are teams making essentially salary cap decisions. There is an amount of money and then there needs to be decisions made based on that number. There may be a contributing player that you would like to keep but it just doesn't meet the value. Maybe you have two good players at one spot and you would be better off using that money elsewhere. So the money obviously dictates everything, but there are also strategic decisions that need to be made regardless. This trio of guards that Pitt has right now could cost somewhere in the neighborhood of a million dollars next year. Total. That is just the reality of the situation. There is no need to interject my personal opinions in this post. Just stating facts about the reality of college basketball.

Therefore, there is a Pitt Basketball Club that has been formed as a group to help fund the efforts. They will obviously accept any donation to support the basketball program and 100% of all donations are directly used to fund the roster. You are literally helping pay for players. In order to get into the Pitt Basketball Club, an individual must donate $10,000. That amount gets you incredible access into the program. The ability to watch practices, workouts, private events, etc. Allows you to interact with current and former players and monthly meetings with Coach Capel and the staff, It really is buying your way into the inner circle. For the full list of benefits, please reach out to the contacts that I will provide below.

One of the initial goals was to get 100 people to donate this figure. We are talking one million right there. The overall goal is 2 million. That is the rough figure that it is expected to take in order to keep all three guards and most of this roster in place, along with being able to supplement in the transfer portal.

For more information or if there is any interest at all, please reach out to the following two contacts. Feel free to ask me any questions but I would not know everything that they do.

Dr. Mark Duca
ducama@upmc.edu

John Pelusi Jr.
john@alliance412.com

Would love to be able to join but that’s a little too high for me. Glad to see things like this happening though.

Reactions: Millerton24
Would love to be able to join but that’s a little too high for me. Glad to see things like this happening though.
Just to be clear, you can donate any amount to the Alliance. There is no minimum. The $10,000 number just gets you into the club with special access. Any amount obviously helps.

Reactions: cabe23
Just to be clear, you can donate any amount to the Alliance. There is no minimum. The $10,000 number just gets you into the club with special access. Any amount obviously helps.
Oh thanks. I am in A412. How does the money get divided from that?

Ok fellas, time to put your money where your mouth is.

Gold members ($2750/year) or higher could always direct A412 money where they wanted. It's why I said in another thread to stroke a fat check and you can direct it wherever you want.

Reactions: Ski11585
Is this different than Alliance 412? How does A412 feel about this? I'd probably cancel my A412 donation and donate to this since football is a lost cause. I'm also upset we are paying marginal football players and Olympic sports athletes.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Is this different than Alliance 412? How does A412 feel about this? I'd probably cancel my A412 donation and donate to this since football is a lost cause. I'm also upset we are paying marginal football players and Olympic sports athletes.
No, it’s the same. It’s all under the same umbrella. You can specify where you want your money going, and this exclusive club has been formed for the basketball side.

No, it’s the same. It’s all under the same umbrella. You can specify where you want your money going, and this exclusive club has been formed for the basketball side.

I feel like the universities can easily get into the action here by giving a "bonus" to the HC and then having the HC donate the money to the collective. Universities need to find creative ways to funnel money into the collectives

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I feel like the universities can easily get into the action here by giving a "bonus" to the HC and then having the HC donate the money to the collective. Universities need to find creative ways to funnel money into the collectives
That is called fraud

How? Coaches are allowed to donate to collectives as far as I know. Coaches are also allowed to receive bonuses. Do you think the NCAA cares?
Pretty sure it’s been posted multiple times that coaches cannot donate to collectives.

Can their wives or cousins or friends?
Don't forget your Uncle Day Day...

tenor.gif

If I have to buy my way in, then after 54 years, you can count me out.

If I have to buy my way in, then after 54 years, you can count me out.

From what it seems, this is just a "club within a club." Anyone can donate to Alliance 412. But this Pitt Basketball Club within Alliance 412 gets you a crazy amount of access but mostly it serves to pay the players. Good idea. Not sure Pitt basketball has enough rich fans willing to do this which is why I say the university has to find ways to pay the players themselves through an intermediary.

Its not. But that ship has sailed. Its all just pay for play now.
It's just funny that they call it NIL but it's just collecting donations to give cash to players. Does anybody have to do anything at all for the money? Ads? TV commercials? Appearances? Or they just get a check every month?

Explain how this is selling your Name, Image and Likeness?
The NCAA has plenty of rights under the SCOTUS ruling to enforce penalties against those not actually selling NIL but clearly they have zero interest in doing that. It's really an ideal situation for them -- get car dealerships to pay the players legally instead of the member schools.

It's just funny that they call it NIL but it's just collecting donations to give cash to players. Does anybody have to do anything at all for the money? Ads? TV commercials? Appearances? Or they just get a check every month?

No.

Some collectives are still requiring appearances at dinners, hospitals, etc but most arent even doing that. Its straight up pay for play and the NCAA isnt going to enforce it. They are investigating Tennessee for using NIL to recruit that QB but the Tennessee AG has sued the NCAA in response. Basically, you can do whatever you want now. Its called NIL but it isnt. Real NIL is a restaurant or car dealership paying a player for an appearance. These booster collectives are just pay for play and everyone knows it.

Carrington started a nonprofit after he signed with Pitt, and I’d imagine that NIL money played a role in helping him get it off the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT