ADVERTISEMENT

I know the Pittsburgh Sports Media won't do it but

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
In the postgame press conference they should all hammer Tomlin on his constant decision to play zone defense against NE. I mean, it hasn't worked since he's been our HC so why does he keep using it??

Isn't 19 TD's and 0 Interceptions by Brady enough to MAYBE think to change their system?

It is inconceivable to me that Butler's game plan ... after everything he has seen on tape presumably... was to rush 3 and have 8 in a zone on every passing down.

When Brady struggles, it is because he is under pressure and the defense plays man to man.

Butler is guilty of malfeasance with this game plan.

In the postgame press conference they should all hammer Tomlin on his constant decision to play zone defense against NE. I mean, it hasn't worked since he's been our HC so why does he keep using it??

Isn't 19 TD's and 0 Interceptions by Brady enough to MAYBE think to change their system?
Agreed - they play right into his hands.

Reactions: PittPoker
"Was there a reason that you didn't bother to cover Hogan the entire first half? Was there something that you saw in the film that made you think you were better off letting him run free?"

"Was there a reason that you didn't bother to cover Hogan the entire first half? Was there something that you saw in the film that made you think you were better off letting him run free?"
Second half same thing. What did they talk about at halftime, Boston Brick Oven Pizza at Regina's?

Reactions: Chaos
"Were you ever able to find a single instance on tape where a team did well against Brady rushing only 3 guys and dropping 8 into zone coverage every play? If so, against who and when?

Reactions: Chaos
Speaking of the media, after a truly poor performance, our friend Ron Cook writes a "No one to blame" article to make sure he is in good graces with the Steelers for another year. If one is looking for a weak, spineless, transparent, bully who routinely bashes college performances, this guy takes the cake for lack of character.

As much as Tomlin annoys me because he has no control of his team, he's going nowhere with his track record. His coordinators on the other hand are a joke.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
It is inconceivable to me that Butler's game plan ... after everything he has seen on tape presumably... was to rush 3 and have 8 in a zone on every passing down.

When Brady struggles, it is because he is under pressure and the defense plays man to man.

Butler is guilty of malfeasance with this game plan.

Agree, The 2-3 times the Steelers even got near Brady he cowered and hit the deck. SO......we decide that is not a good idea. Plus, we got one break rushing up the middle, Houston hit him with an inside rush, and all we did was have an OLB rush from the outside.

Reactions: cdmg
Agree, The 2-3 times the Steelers even got near Brady he cowered and hit the deck. SO......we decide that is not a good idea. Plus, we got one break rushing up the middle, Houston hit him with an inside rush, and all we did was have an OLB rush from the outside.
They might as well give Tomlin pom poms, because he did nothing to adjust. They stayed in that zone all night when Phil Sims was pleading to adjust. Sure this is on Butler but Tomlin wears the big boy pants. unfortunately the Pgh media cower in fear of Tomlin.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Can anyone point to any game this year in which the Steelers played a lot of man coverage? Because I can't think of any and I suspect that is for a reason.

A head coach that second guesses himself and his staff is probably not going to see much success. Tomlin/Butler stayed in zone because they thought it was their best chance to contain Brady. Not many teams have found success in any scheme against Belichick/Brady.

They might as well give Tomlin pom poms, because he did nothing to adjust. They stayed in that zone all night when Phil Sims was pleading to adjust. Sure this is on Butler but Tomlin wears the big boy pants. unfortunately the Pgh media cower in fear of Tomlin.

A head coach that second guesses himself and his staff is probably not going to see much success. Tomlin/Butler stayed in zone because they thought it was their best chance to contain Brady. Not many teams have found success in any scheme against Belichick/Brady.

This is where I stand on the subject. Brady has been to 11 AFC championship games. The patriots have a good team. The patriots are the better team, which is why the patriots are 2-0 against the stillers this season.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Speaking of the media, after a truly poor performance, our friend Ron Cook writes a "No one to blame" article to make sure he is in good graces with the Steelers for another year. If one is looking for a weak, spineless, transparent, bully who routinely bashes college performances, this guy takes the cake for lack of character.
Yep.

Did he really? LOL. That figures. I said last night to a buddy if this was Pitt,Cook would excoriate on them not being able to win the big one, and can't beat the Patriots, but since it is the Steelers, he will soft peddle some fluff article.

Boy do I know my Pittsburgh media......

Can anyone point to any game this year in which the Steelers played a lot of man coverage? Because I can't think of any and I suspect that is for a reason.
For the first nine games of the season, the Steelers were last in the NFL in sacks.

and their record was 4-5.

Then they made two fundamental changes. The first was the insert Bud Dupree into the starting lineup permanently, and the second was to switch from playing primarily a zone to rushing five or six guys and playing man -especially on third and long.

Over the final seven games of the regular season and the first two games in the playoffs, the Steelers led the NFL in quarterback sacks and went 9-0.

They went from a passive bend-but-don't-break plan, to being the aggressor and forcing the offenses to hurry.

It was a fundamental change in philosophy that turned their season around.

Bud Dupree and James Harrison excel at rushing the passer, and are average at best when dropping into coverage. They excel when they're asked to be an aggressor, not asked to read and react.

Keith Butler took his best two pass rushers and turned them into coverage linebackers for yesterday's game.

He went away from what was so successful in November and December, and returned to the passive September and October game plans.

It is inexplicable to me that a smart guy like you continues to defend the indefensible.

When teams play aggressive man-to-man defense with a five or six man pass rush against Tom Brady they lose 90% of the time.

When they play a soft zone with a three-man pass rush they lose 100% of the time.

Keith Butler and Mike Tomlin "played within their fears."

New England's one somewhat weakness on offense is their inability to have a deep passing game, and the defense we were in guaranteed that they weren't going to have that that one weakness exposed.

when Tom Brady came out in the first series and saw the Steelers were playing a three man rush with a soft zone he had to be licking his chops and probably couldn't believe his eyes.

it was a colossal screwup by Tomlin and Butler, and they're sitting home now because of it

Last edited:
Reactions: cdmg
I call him the "Deer in the Headlights" coach!
When the Steelers got down and NE was moving the ball at will I said to my wife look at Tomlin. He had that what do I do now look!
He's fine against an inferior team but doesnt match up against the good or great teams! NE has a killer organization starting at the top, which is another Steeler issue!

Its not politically correct these days. Plus the Rooney's would blackball them!
LOL!

Last edited:
Rapist Rothliesberger and Pedophile Enable Paterno can do wrong in Cook's eyes.

Pack was blown out as well. Falcons and Pat's played well. Played very much like the two best teams in the playoffs. Not much to discuss here. Thankfully for both the Pats and Steelers, Carr was injured. Oakland would've been a very tough out. Miami would've been more dangerous with Tanneyhill too. Titans were looking tough until Marriota went down as well. AFC was a bit watered down by those injuries.

Sure Patriots are a better team but can't believe the defensive game plan - gave them virtually no chance from the start

No reason to watch a game vs patriots till a change in one of the coaching staffs

I call him the "Deer in the Headlights" coach!
When the Steelers got down and NE was moving the ball at will I said to my wife look at Tomlin. He had that what do I do now look!
He's fine against an inferior team but doesnt match up against the good or great teams! NE has a killer organization starting at the top, which is another Steeler issue!
To be fair Cowher didn't fare much better against this machine. In fact the last 3 SB appearances Pgh had, I don't believe they had to face NE. You still take it but it's definitely an additional bragging point for NE and their fans.

Clearly it bothers Tomlin too, at least per the content on that Brown video. They are in his head. Unfortunately not to the extent that he tried anything radical (akin to Wanny with the 13-9 game).

For the first nine games of the season, the Steelers were last in the NFL in sacks.

and their record was 4-5.

Then they made two fundamental changes. The first was the insert Bud Dupree into the starting lineup permanently, and the second was to switch from playing primarily a zone to rushing five or six guys and playing man -especially on third and long.

Over the final seven games of the regular season and the first two games in the playoffs, the Steelers led the NFL in quarterback sacks and went 9-0.

They went from a passive bend-but-don't-break plan, to being the aggressor and forcing the offenses to hurry.

It was a fundamental change in philosophy that turned their season around.

Bud Dupree and James Harrison excel at rushing the passer, and are average at best when dropping into coverage. They excel when they're asked to be an aggressor, not asked to read and react.

Keith Butler took his best two pass rushers and turned them into coverage linebackers for yesterday's game.

He went away from what was so successful in November and December, and returned to the passive September and October game plans.

It is inexplicable to me that a smart guy like you continues to defend the indefensible.

When teams play aggressive man-to-man defense with a five or six man pass rush against Tom Brady they lose 90% of the time.

When they play a soft zone with a three-man pass rush they lose 100% of the time.

Keith Butler and Mike Tomlin "played within their fears."

New England's one somewhat weakness on offense is their inability to have a deep passing game, and the defense we were in guaranteed that they weren't going to have that that one weakness exposed.

when Tom Brady came out in the first series and saw the Steelers were playing a three man rush with a soft zone he had to be licking his chops and probably couldn't believe his eyes.

it was a colossal screwup by Tomlin and Butler, and they're sitting home now because of it

No, that is absolutely wrong. You are conflating pressure with man coverage. They are not necessarily synonymous. That's why Dick LeBeau's in the Hall of Fame.

Pittsburgh did get more pressure on the quarterback by using Bud Dupree as an edge rusher. That much is true and the only reason why he wasn't playing before that was because he was injured. Pittsburgh knows exactly what they have in Dupree – just like they know what they don't have in their secondary.

The Steelers have never been a predominantly man coverage team – well, at least not since Chuck Noll retired back in the early 90s. Pittsburgh mixes in some man here and there but it is extremely rare. They play as much or more zone as any defense in the NFL.

Now, they play approximately 57 different varieties of zone defenses, so they are not all the same. However, it is rare to see our corners with their backs to the quarterback.

How do you think New England knew to prepare all week for the zone – as Chris Hogan said they did? Because that's what we always play, that's why!

This conversation doesn't make sense. You can protest as much as you like but we are not a man coverage team and haven't been one for nearly a quarter century now.

Now, if your point is that to compete with New England they are going to have to tweak their scheme, I don't disagree with you there.

However, before you do that, you need to have players back there who can do it and I'm sorry but Mike Mitchell and Ross Cockrell are not capable of consistently covering anyone one on one – they just aren't. And that's not even talking about the rookie and mistake prone defensive backs.

This is a completely crazy argument built on a lot of misconceptions and false assumptions.

Also, I think you're missing my argument. I'm not arguing that Pittsburgh was right to play passively for the entire game. Obviously they should have tried to put more pressure on Brady.

I'm saying that they almost never play press man coverage behind said pressure and with their current defensive backs, they have would've been destroyed far worse than they were had they attempted to do so yesterday out of the blue.

In other words, it is a talent issue, and perhaps a scheme issue too, but it is definitely not not an individual game planning issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: canadakatz
No, that is absolutely wrong.

Pittsburgh has never been a predominantly man coverage team – well, at least not since Chuck Noll retired back in the early 90s. Pittsburgh mixes in some man here and there but it is extremely rare. They play as much or more zone as any defense in the NFL.

How do you think New England knew to prepare all week for the zone – as Chris Hogan said they did? Because that's what we always play, that's why!

This conversation doesn't make sense. You can protest as much as you like but we are not a man coverage team and haven't been one for nearly a quarter century now.

Now, if your point is that to compete with New England they are going to have to tweak their scheme, I don't disagree with you there.

However, before you do that, you need to have players back there who can do it and I'm sorry but Mike Mitchell and Ross Cockrell are not capable of consistently covering anyone one on one – they just aren't. And that's not even talking about the rookie and mistake prone defensive backs.

This is a completely crazy argument built on a lot of misconceptions and false assumptions.
Tom Brady threw 42 passes yesterday.

6 of those passes traveled more than 13 yards in the air.

Why? Because Pittsburgh rushed 3 and put 8 in a soft zone. On 90% of the passing downs.

The goal in big games like this is to take away the other team's biggest strength and make them beat you in other ways. It is a very simple idea that Belichek does *ALL* the time - adjust his gameplan to his opponent's strengths and weaknesses - and that most other coaches, including ours, simply do not do. Tomlin, and Cowher before him, subscribed to the theory that you do what you do best and make the other team stop it. Belichek's philosophy is to STOP what the other team does best, and force them to beat you in other ways.

The Patriots lone weakness on offense is having NO deep threat. At all. Their smurf receivers are great at getting open underneath the zone for 6-7 yard passes and then getting yards after the catch. The way to stop those receivers is to bump them at the LOS and force them off their timing... and to hit them over and over and over again. Force Brady to have to try to beat you deep in one-on-one coverage without any receivers who excel at getting open deep.

That formula gives you a 10% chance of winning against NE.

A soft zone of 8 men dropping into coverage gives you a 0% chance of winning NE.

It really is that simple. Adopt a strategy that gives you a chance to win... or one that doesn't. They adopted a strategy that gave them no chance to win.

Reactions: cruzer
I believe yesterday was a similar situation as Pitt's bowl game. The defense certainly wasnt any good, very true. But nobody least of all Tomlin and Haley should have expected anything more from the defense than the subpar performance they got. The OFFENSE needed to win the game. Haley had an uninspired scheme and no answers, especially near the red zone. It was similar in our game, likely due to Canada half-assing it and a month of rust (+ loss of Conner and later NP). Haley/Ben did lose Bell early (though Williams actually performed better) and a couple receivers were out, but still less excuse.

Last edited:
See I look at it the other way. I think playing a bend-but-don't-break defense gave them a small chance to win...provided the offense did its part.

Conversely, if they played an aggressive man defense – that they never otherwise play – it would've given them absolutely no chance of winning.

Note: that does not mean they shouldn't have pressured more, only that they would have been INSANE to play man coverage behind it.

Note: that does not mean they shouldn't have pressured more, only that they would have been INSANE to play man coverage behind it.
So you at least admit that rushing 3 and dropping 8 into deep coverage - including playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage against the NE smurfs and not bumping them on the LOS - was a dumb idea.

Fine.

The Steelers could've played a Cover 2 behind a 5 or 6 man pass rush.... instead of a Prevent behind a 3 man pass rush. That still would've been better.

Dropping Bud Dupree and James Harrison into coverage on every passing down was insanity.

See I look at it the other way. I think playing a bend-but-don't-break defense gave them a small chance to win...provided the offense did its part.

Conversely, if they played an aggressive man defense – that they never otherwise play – it would've given them absolutely no chance of winning.
Agree. Their secondary personnel is not conducive to it. Much like another team we know. :(

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Tom Brady threw 42 passes yesterday.

6 of those passes traveled more than 13 yards in the air.

Why? Because Pittsburgh rushed 3 and put 8 in a soft zone. On 90% of the passing downs.

The goal in big games like this is to take away the other team's biggest strength and make them beat you in other ways. It is a very simple idea that Belichek does *ALL* the time - adjust his gameplan to his opponent's strengths and weaknesses - and that most other coaches, including ours, simply do not do. Tomlin, and Cowher before him, subscribed to the theory that you do what you do best and make the other team stop it. Belichek's philosophy is to STOP what the other team does best, and force them to beat you in other ways.

The Patriots lone weakness on offense is having NO deep threat. At all. Their smurf receivers are great at getting open underneath the zone for 6-7 yard passes and then getting yards after the catch. The way to stop those receivers is to bump them at the LOS and force them off their timing... and to hit them over and over and over again. Force Brady to have to try to beat you deep in one-on-one coverage without any receivers who excel at getting open deep.

That formula gives you a 10% chance of winning against NE.

A soft zone of 8 men dropping into coverage gives you a 0% chance of winning NE.

It really is that simple. Adopt a strategy that gives you a chance to win... or one that doesn't. They adopted a strategy that gave them no chance to win.

Well said. Brady is a surgeon when you give him time and play zone. Their receivers are incredibly good at finding the seams. That plan had zero chance of working. If they played the Pats 10 times and used the same approach, they lose all 10 games.

So you at least admit that rushing 3 and dropping 8 into deep coverage - including playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage against the NE smurfs and not bumping them on the LOS - was a dumb idea.

Fine.

The Steelers could've played a Cover 2 behind a 5 or 6 man pass rush.... instead of a Prevent behind a 3 man pass rush. That still would've been better.

Dropping Bud Dupree and James Harrison into coverage on every passing down was insanity.

Yes, playing zone for the entire game was obviously a bad idea. Also, yes, I would have preferred that they were more aggressive with Dupree.

However, it's a bad idea borne out of absolute necessity. I don't understand why people can't grasp that PAINFULLY OBVIOUS REALITY?

We. Don't. Have. The. Horses.

We have two rookies who, as was conclusively exposed last night, CLEARLY have no idea what they are doing out there but who look like they might one day be decent or better. We have a veteran safety who absolutely STINKS in pass coverage and our other corner is at best a nickle or dime corner on a bad team.

Look, there have been occasions in the past where I thought we game planned poorly against the Pats. I don't think yesterday was one of those times. I think we are very limited in what we can do right now and to their credit New England recognized that fact and took full advantage of it.

We need more help at all three levels of the defense but especially in the secondary. Once we have two NFL corners back there - and at least one decent safety - THEN we can be as exotic and aggressive as we like. However, to do so yesterday and to expose that secondary to that type of an attack, would have ended worse than things actually did end.

Pittsburgh was the only team in the entire NFL to start more than two rookies on defense at the same time for more than two games. We started THREE rookies (Hargrave, Burns and Davis) for the last six regular season games and all three playoff games.

Also, Bud Dupree barely played last year and missed the first 12 games of this season. He is basically a rookie, so in effect we started FOUR rookies for the entire second half of the season. Nobody wants to do that because young players are more mistake prone on game days and tend to be less focused during the week. It was only a matter of time before that came back to bite us and it probably should have come as no surprise that New England would be the team to do it.

The upshot of this is that last night's result aside, Pittsburgh has a VERY bright future on defense. However, there are still some growing pains to be endured and some puzzle pieces to be added before we get there.

We need a safety and a corner - badly!

Pack was blown out as well. Falcons and Pat's played well. Played very much like the two best teams in the playoffs. Not much to discuss here. Thankfully for both the Pats and Steelers, Carr was injured. Oakland would've been a very tough out. Miami would've been more dangerous with Tanneyhill too. Titans were looking tough until Marriota went down as well. AFC was a bit watered down by those injuries.

Big part was the falcons and pats got to sit a week while the packers and steelers were playing. Then the pats got a home tune up game against a weak opponent. Even if the steelers play their best and the ref's don't screw them out of that fumble ,they lose this game with that game plan. Different game plan and they lose the game %80 of the time but they give themselves a chance.

Your completely of base and here is why. Against %80 of NFl QB's you would be correct. Example was last week against the chiefs and alex smith. Most NFL QB's will make some throws but they can't consistently make good throws for 8 to 10 passes in a drive. At some point they will miss a open WR or the WR will drop a pass etc etc. But against a top flight QB that won't happen. And against tom brady its suicide. He isn't going to miss very often when he doesn't have pressure. Now the steelers made it easier by simple failing to cover WR's, and thats not doing a bad job covering them but simply not covering them from the start.

Blitzing Brady without playing tight coverage is useless. He will find the open man quickly and you will just give up bigger plays. The steelers have tried that for 10 years and it doesn't work. Maybe if you come free its better than playing soft and not blitzing but soft coverage behind the blitz doesn't work because %90 of their passes are under 10 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT