ADVERTISEMENT

I might be in the minority but I thought Jurk played well.

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
Granted we need to take into account the competition but I loved his pocket presence. Now I fully admit I am probably gauging him against Kedon, but I thought he stood in the pocket well and easily went through his progressions. I don't take him for an RPO guy but he was more mobile than I thought.
Not going to jump on the hype train until he plays a legit defense, but I grade him a solid B effort and definitely an improvement from Slovis. Now just hit the wide open Means on the post pass and I will be happy.

Agreed he was better than slovis, which isn't saying much. He played well, not great, and I say a B is a fair grade.

I'm concerned those wobbly balls Jurkovec regularly throws will be incompletions or worse against a D that isn't completely overmatched physically, but we'll see what happens.

Reactions: PantherDDS
I love that we're using him as a weapon in the running game. And he did make some things happen on plays that were breaking down (which can be good or bad; I'd have liked the first read to have been open a lot more against an FCS team). But...

He still seems to have a tendency to not want to concede when a play is just not there. He threw one across his body that should have been an easy pick, and I'm not totally convinced he knew there wasn't a second defender creeping over on that TD pass to Karter Johnson.

His ball does not spiral, and physics just tells me that's not a good thing. I've seen some of his passes hang up in the air forever in the cold weather at BC.

He was really inaccurate at times. Not stepping into that first third down pass, not hitting a wide open Renda who was only ten yards away, etc.

We’ll see how the season is plays out but I like his mobility. He has a long throwing motion which could be a prob. We will see.

Granted we need to take into account the competition but I loved his pocket presence. Now I fully admit I am probably gauging him against Kedon, but I thought he stood in the pocket well and easily went through his progressions. I don't take him for an RPO guy but he was more mobile than I thought.
Not going to jump on the hype train until he plays a legit defense, but I grade him a solid B effort and definitely an improvement from Slovis. Now just hit the wide open Means on the post pass and I will be happy.
He started very poorly.

Looked sleepy almost, threw limply, I’ll admit I was super worried. But he completely turned it around and played well. I would say he is better than Slovis from early grading. He moves a bit better, he isn’t Kenny pickett, but who is? I LOVE how he checked off multiple receivers a few times. That’s something Slovis seldom did

I love that we're using him as a weapon in the running game. And he did make some things happen on plays that were breaking down (which can be good or bad; I'd have liked the first read to have been open a lot more against an FCS team). But...

He still seems to have a tendency to not want to concede when a play is just not there. He threw one across his body that should have been an easy pick, and I'm not totally convinced he knew there wasn't a second defender creeping over on that TD pass to Karter Johnson.

His ball does not spiral, and physics just tells me that's not a good thing. I've seen some of his passes hang up in the air forever in the cold weather at BC.

He was really inaccurate at times. Not stepping into that first third down pass, not hitting a wide open Renda who was only ten yards away, etc.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

Not much zip on the ball and wobbly passes. Accuracy was up and down, but that was a given coming in. I was concerned early with his pocket presence against Wofford but it improved. He was alright, but really should’ve looked dominate against such a bad team.

He started very poorly.

Looked sleepy almost, threw limply, I’ll admit I was super worried. But he completely turned it around and played well. I would say he is better than Slovis from early grading. He moves a bit better, he isn’t Kenny pickett, but who is? I LOVE how he checked off multiple receivers a few times. That’s something Slovis seldom did
Running those couple of QB sneaks seemed to get him going. Looked like that got the juices flowing more and he played better from then on.

Pitt played the entire game yesterday pretty much like an exhibition game. 13 receivers caught passes. Rushing attempts distributed over 8 guys and leading rusher (D Carter) with 11 carries. Kind of like a basketball game where a team score 85 points and has 10 players scoring between 7 and 9 points each.

They got a lot of players on video. On both sides of the ball. Didn’t seem as if anyone suffered an injury that would cause missed time. I think Kradel missed just 1 play after going down briefly (Terrence Moore #58 came in at C).

Competition starts to ramp up significantly beginning next week. Lot of things accomplished and lots to work on in prep for next Saturday.

Reactions: JokePa
Yeah, overall I thought Phil played well ...... good pocket presence, went through reads and seems to understand the offense very well, good mobility and running ability, spread the ball around to multiple receivers (all better than last years QB) ..... my only concern like others is that he doesn't seem to throw a tight spiral consistently and a couple/few of his passes seemed to take a bit longer to get to the receivers then you would like ..... as the competition gets better and the windows get smaller that could be a problem ...... the next 2 weeks should tell us a lot more about Phil's ability in our offense .... can't wait to see !!!!

He started very poorly.

Jurkovec is good enough to win with. And Slovis wasnt as bad as it was made seem. Pitt's issue is that we dont have any P5 level WRs and that is massive massive problem

I thought he played okay. He has all the athletic ability needed but he tends to throw the ball with the nose down too often that results in incompletions or the WR has to stop their route to catch the ball.

It’s all relative. For instance, it’s a lot easier to have “pocket presence” when there is no semblance of a pass rush against you.

Not ready to form any conclusions one way or the other about Jurk but I will say I was a bit surprised, and disappointed, in his arm mechanics and the type of ball he throws. “Pure” would not be the word I’d use for it.

We’ll see how the season is plays out but I like his mobility. He has a long throwing motion which could be a prob. We will see.
I know that‘s not ideal, but I always think of Jim Plunkett who had the biggest windup I ever saw and he won the Heisman throwing with that windup.

It’s all relative. For instance, it’s a lot easier to have “pocket presence” when there is no semblance of a pass rush against you.

Not ready to form any conclusions one way or the other about Jurk but I will say I was a bit surprised, and disappointed, in his arm mechanics and the type of ball he throws. “Pure” would not be the word I’d use for it.
I think you can form some conclusions given he's in his sixth year and third team in college. His balls have fluttered a bit since high school, so that's always been an issue. He's a career 60% passer and has struggled especially with short routes. We saw that yesterday on the screen passes and short passes he threw into the ground. He's at his best at intermediate and deep balls and I think we saw some of that as the game went on. There was only one "bad" miss when he didn't put enough air under the ball on what would've been a long TD pass to Means.

Jurkovec is a better overall QB than Slovis, but he also isn't a guy who is going to carry an offense. Pitt is going to need more from the offensive line to keep a clean pocket and a solid running game so they can maintain a balanced attack. They don't have the horses at wide receiver either to provide some easier targets. Can Cignetti scheme open the receivers to put them in position to put up some big numbers?

Reactions: PantherDDS
I won't attempt to draw any conclusions from his operating in a very predictable vanilla offense which is what it was yesterday.

Running those couple of QB sneaks seemed to get him going. Looked like that got the juices flowing more and he played better from then on.

Pitt played the entire game yesterday pretty much like an exhibition game. 13 receivers caught passes. Rushing attempts distributed over 8 guys and leading rusher (D Carter) with 11 carries. Kind of like a basketball game where a team score 85 points and has 10 players scoring between 7 and 9 points each.

They got a lot of players on video. On both sides of the ball. Didn’t seem as if anyone suffered an injury that would cause missed time. I think Kradel missed just 1 play after going down briefly (Terrence Moore #58 came in at C).

Competition starts to ramp up significantly beginning next week. Lot of things accomplished and lots to work on in prep for next Saturday.
You nailed it for sure. Yearly people complain because we win 27-10 against some scrub
Jurkovec is good enough to win with. And Slovis wasnt as bad as it was made seem. Pitt's issue is that we dont have any P5 level WRs and that is massive massive problem
not disagreeing there. That’s a good point, however, Slovis was serviceable at best. Obviously Addison was a real WR, Wayne was good as well, and Means this year, but of course we need the consistent big, fast, good hand guys

I think Jurk is a QB you can live with. You will get grade A effort, he knows the offense, will distribute the ball, and can run a bit. We just need him to limit turnovers.

That being said, I don't understand how a starting P5 QB does not throw a spiral. There really is no comparison between him and V'Air, as far as, how their throws look. V'Air throws a beautiful ball. At the end of the day though, as long as Phil get's the ball to the right spots, and the receivers can catch it, that's what matters.

He looked fine.

He took some chances. Those aren’t always going to be positive plays against better teams. But the offense doesn’t have the talent around it for the QB to not take chances in the passing game. There’s going to need to be some backyard magic to move the needle. And he can do that.

His arm looks shot. But you can get away with that in college.

Reactions: boseman7
the psu kid looked like a fish out of water, hope Jurk stays healthy or it will be a long year..

I don't know how you draw any conclusions from these games. Most of our good passing plays were Jurkovec hitting the first read because he was matched against a low level FCS defender. We will learn a lot more next Saturday.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I thought he was nervous and played tight to begin the game...short arming a lot of his throws which killed the YAC. His ball skills are really good as is his movement in the pocket. I'm optimistic.

They have power 5 level receivers in mumpfield and means but they aren't number 1 receivers they are 2s. They don't have that stud like a Addison,Bryant fitz who demands double coverage every play or else he is going to get open. Jurkovex is probably better than slovis although I need to see more to know for sure. His running ability might be a x factor.

He looked fine.

He took some chances. Those aren’t always going to be positive plays against better teams. But the offense doesn’t have the talent around it for the QB to not take chances in the passing game. There’s going to need to be some backyard magic to move the needle. And he can do that.

His arm looks shot. But you can get away with that in college.
Can’t draw any meaningful conclusions from this. The opponent was not capable of placing any stress on the offense at any level. Let’s see what happens when we face a pass rush and some athletes in the secondary.

Hard to draw any concrete conclusions from the game given the competition, we’ll know better after the next couple.

But your mention of him as a weapon in the running game, yeah that pleasantly surprised me too as I didn’t think that was a big component of his game. And those design runs sure did seem to have Wofford surprised.

On the flip side, as much as those design run plays with him were a surprise and successful, I wish they would have saved those for week or 2 or 3 down the road when they would come in handy in a tight game against a stronger opponent.

Everyone in my section was yelling "NO" before he threw that ball across his body

Can’t draw any meaningful conclusions from this. The opponent was not capable of placing any stress on the offense at any level. Let’s see what happens when we face a pass rush and some athletes in the secondary.
He faced pressure at least once and bailed. It was enough that he felt pressure when it wasn't coming and resulted in a throw off his back foot in a clean pocket. You can take some conclusions from this because an experienced QB should look terrific against a high school team. Instead, we are getting "he looked fine." I was hoping for more because I want to see a big year out of Pitt.

Reactions: gary2 and bobfree

You’re right. Another way to say it, he’s ok at best. Which is fine, I guess, we have a good team beside him.

I

Reactions: Burgh15
I doubt you were in the minority. He played fine.

The 2 biggest problems throughout his career is not being accurate from the pocket and poor decision making.

The bounce passes as well as Means and Mumpfield misses are examples. He would have thrown a pick 6 against just everyone else on the terrible decision in front of the Pitt bench.

None of this mattered against Wofford - it will going forward if its not cleaned up fast.

In other words, he is who he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT