ADVERTISEMENT

I might be in the minority but I thought Jurk played well.

The team gave up 4 sacks for 33 lost yards in the game .
Per the actual game stats
Plus lots of hurried which lead to incompletions
You seem to be reading the stats backwards ...... did you watch the game ? ..... Pitt gave up only 1 sack for 12 yards lost (early in the game and because of a missed assignment by Bart) ....... Pitt sacked the Wofford QB 4 times for 33 yards in losses ....... Jurkovec's pocket presence and ability to read the defense and escape when he had to were all pretty good especially when compared to Slovis last year ...... the next 2 games will tell us more about Phil.

Let's do cut to the chase. I did as you say "bagged on the OC all last year" and I based my opinion on what his offense looked like last year and through the first game of this year. Everyone blamed Slovis for the offense lacking in certain areas. That may have been the case last year (we will have to see how the experienced Jurkovec does in his offense), but after this first game, it looked eerily similar to last years cignetti's offense.

That's cool. What's the criteria that you'll be using? What are the reasonable goals (ppg, ypg, wins?) for this offense based on the personnel and schedule?

Do you have any? Or, are you just going by your "unbiased" opinion?

That's cool. What's the criteria that you'll be using? What are the reasonable goals (ppg, ypg, wins?) for this offense based on the personnel and schedule?

Do you have any? Or, are you just going by your "unbiased" opinion?
Criteria?? I have no criteria to judge by. I watch a lot of college football and by the offenses that I see from the Top 25 teams, cignetti's just doesn't match up with those top ones. Last year, everyone blamed Slovis, this year, in a game against an inferior opponent, the offense looked the same. As I said in another post, hopefully it was just a one game thing, but I worry that it was not.

Criteria?? I have no criteria to judge by. I watch a lot of college football and by the offenses that I see from the Top 25 teams, cignetti's just doesn't match up with those top ones. Last year, everyone blamed Slovis, this year, in a game against an inferior opponent, the offense looked the same. As I said in another post, hopefully it was just a one game thing, but I worry that it was not.
This is a fair assessment just as you could watch the Steelers offense with Fichtner and Canada and compare it to what good offenses around the league do and instantly know it's an issue. I won't go as far to say it's a bad offense, it just isn't an exciting offense.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam

Pretty much what I thought. You don't like the OC, or his offense, so it will never be good enough.

At least we're straight now.

This is a fair assessment just as you could watch the Steelers offense with Fichtner and Canada and compare it to what good offenses around the league do and instantly know it's an issue. I won't go as far to say it's a bad offense, it just isn't an exciting offense.
...AND I do feel the same way about the matt canada run steelers offense.

Reactions: Burgh15
Pretty much what I thought. You don't like the OC, or his offense, so it will never be good enough.

At least we're straight now.
Gunga...You can certainly interpret what I said in any manner that you like. Don't know where you got the "you don't like the OC" from. I will agree that I do not like his offensive philosophy..
This offense may have worked in the 1970's and 80's, but in 2023, it will not.

Gunga...You can certainly interpret what I said in any manner that you like. Don't know where you got the "you don't like the OC" from. I will agree that I do not like his offensive philosophy..
This offense may have worked in the 1970's and 80's, but in 2023, it will not.
It's been putting up a lot of points and a lot of yards the last few games, without elite talent.

Jurk's lack of arm talent is concerning. Normally I think that's something fairly low on the QB trait list. I'd rather have a guy who reads the field well and can move, because then he can at least put the defense in a lot of bad situations and compensate for an inability to really drive the ball.

To me, it looks like he has an average or even minus college arm. We'll see if the offense as a whole can operate with that limitation. I did think he played better than most of what we saw from Slovis for whatever that is worth.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Jurk's lack of arm talent is concerning. Normally I think that's something fairly low on the QB trait list. I'd rather have a guy who reads the field well and can move, because then he can at least put the defense in a lot of bad situations and compensate for an inability to really drive the ball.

To me, it looks like he has an average or even minus college arm. We'll see if the offense as a whole can operate with that limitation. I did think he played better than most of what we saw from Slovis for whatever that is worth.
Yeah that's who he is. Hopefully we can take advantage of his wheels and ability to see a blitz coming to keep things moving. I liked how we used the tight ends at least.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
My concerns with Cignetti is because his offenses are average at best
I think he's been somewhat above average. We averaged over 30 per game last year with Slovis at QB. He did a good job with the 2009 team, getting the ball is talented players despite Stull's limitations. The 2020 BC team with Jurkovec scored a good amount of points, but I can't defend the 2021 team. His Cal year was very good considering they also had two not great QBs.

Not saying he's anyone's top choice for an OC, but Narduzzi clearly prefers someone who is going to follow his advice to run the ball more and he has good NFL QB coaching experience. I think we should score a decent amount of points this year despite lacking Pickett + Addison level talent.

I think he's been somewhat above average. We averaged over 30 per game last year with Slovis at QB. He did a good job with the 2009 team, getting the ball is talented players despite Stull's limitations. The 2020 BC team with Jurkovec scored a good amount of points, but I can't defend the 2021 team. His Cal year was very good considering they also had two not great QBs.

Not saying he's anyone's top choice for an OC, but Narduzzi clearly prefers someone who is going to follow his advice to run the ball more and he has good NFL QB coaching experience. I think we should score a decent amount of points this year despite lacking Pickett + Addison level tal

Cal was 20th in F+ the year before him. 40th with him. 41st the next year without him.

Pitt was 57th the year before him. 18th the first year with him, then 38th. 71st the first year without him.

Rutgers was 105 the year before him. 96th the year with him. 105 the next year without him.

Boston College was 42 the year before him. 49 his first year, 85 the next.

Pitt was 22 the year before him. 58 last year.

He’s not above average. He just kinda exists as an OC.

Cal was 20th in F+ the year before him. 40th with him. 41st the next year without him.

Pitt was 57th the year before him. 18th the first year with him, then 38th. 71st the first year without him.

Rutgers was 105 the year before him. 96th the year with him. 105 the next year without him.

Boston College was 42 the year before him. 49 his first year, 85 the next.

Pitt was 22 the year before him. 58 last year.

He’s not above average. He just kinda exists as an OC.
Facts or biased opinion. Which holds more weight?

This and all the similar threads this week have been premature. We really can’t tell anything good or bad from last week because the opponent bad… that’s an understatement, maybe was one of the worst we’ve played in decades … and good or bad, nobody looked to be running full speed on offense. Even Phil’s TD run looked Priestley-like. Today will tell a lot more

You seem to be reading the stats backwards ...... did you watch the game ? ..... Pitt gave up only 1 sack for 12 yards lost (early in the game and because of a missed assignment by Bart) ....... Pitt sacked the Wofford QB 4 times for 33 yards in losses ....... Jurkovec's pocket presence and ability to read the defense and escape when he had to were all pretty good especially when compared to Slovis last year ...... the next 2 games will tell us more about Phil.
This aged like milk outside
Buddy - the guy is a stiff

Reactions: Burgh15

Not saying he's anyone's top choice for an OC, but Narduzzi clearly prefers someone who is going to follow his advice to run the ball more and he has good NFL QB coaching experience. I think we should score a decent amount of points this year despite lacking Pickett + Addison level talent.
He’s average on his best days
He’s the easiest oc ever to gameplan against .

I still don’t know how anyone watched that game last week and thought he was fine. Cincinnati isn’t even the best team in the schedule and Jurkovec looked like a middle school QB playing in a varsity game.
Sub 30% completion and <200 yards with 30+ attempts
It’s pathetic

The game that actually happened
Not the suburban rose glasses
Told ya - Phil isn’t any good

Dude, the stats you referenced were completely wrong, as pointed out by people who watched the game and can read a box score.

Phil played like sh!t yesterday. I don't own any suburban rose glasses.

Reactions: goalieman
I still don’t know how anyone watched that game last week and thought he was fine. Cincinnati isn’t even the best team in the schedule and Jurkovec looked like a middle school QB playing in a varsity game.

He looks like the beginning of a Disney movie. Like a team that needs to win a football game in order to prevent some tycoon from demolishing an orphanage to build a highway found some dude in a third world village who can't throw a spiral or hit the ocean with a rock... but by the end of the movie he's zipping it all over the place. Except this is the end of the movie.

Slovis didn't work out 0-1, if Jurkovec doesn't work out and 0-2, if the kid from Penn State or the next one doesn't work out it will be 0-3 and Cignetti should be out!

By the way I officially now have gone back to calling him JERKovic and not jerkOvic. You deliver the NC like Tony, you can change your pronunciation. You suck donkey balls and blame everyone but your sucking self, you are JERKovic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT