ADVERTISEMENT

I think everyone would agree that the offense is broken.....

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
The question is, what is the head coach doing to fix it? Where is the urgency and accountability? Or are we just resigned to failure this year with most of the season left?

I would think any head coach would be in that offensive meeting room breaking heads and doing everything in his power until this thing at least serviceable to get through the rest of the season.

The "85% Defense" formula for Duzzi's time and energy ain't cutting it. His livelihood is on the line and Bates is more than capable of handling that D room on his own.

I’m honestly significantly more concerned about the defense being a sieve
Bad talent plus bad scheme equals a bad offense

But this defense is not good at all, and it’s supposedly the place that has talent and depth
It's not great, but it's by far the lesser problem. When the offense can't stay on the field and score points, the defense is doomed regardless.

square-peg-round-hole.jpg

But this defense is not good at all, and it’s supposedly the place that has talent and depth
Pitt gained 211 yards vs WVU. Closest bad offense was Duquense with 256 yards.
Pitt gained 262 yards vs Cincinnati. Closest bad offense was Eastern Kentucky with 302 yards of offense.
Pitt gained 304 yards vs UNC. That's 2nd least yards vs UNC after Minnesota's 303 yards.

Pitt is 112th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 125th in yards per game.
Pitt is 122nd in yards per play.
Pitt is 116th in average time of possession (Dead last by 2% points in 2nd half TOP).
120th in completions per game.
Dead last in completion percentage.
128th in passer rating.
121st in yards per pass attempt.
127th in turnover margin.
126th in interceptions per passing attempt.
120th in penalties per game.

The defense is not very good, but I loathe this offense.

Pitt gained 262 yards vs Cincinnati. Closest bad offense was Eastern Kentucky with 302 yards of offense.
Pitt gained 304 yards vs UNC. That's 2nd least yards vs UNC after Minnesota's 303 yards.

Pitt is 116th in average time of possession (Dead last by 2% points in 2nd half TOP).
128th in passer rating.

The offense wasn’t expected to be any good , let’s be honest .
Cignetti sucks . We are year 2 of transfer qbs who aren’t any good .
We lost Izzy and Wayne , our two big play guys .
The OL is broken .

It’s worse than my low expectations for sure

But the defense is supposed to be our strength

The question is, what is the head coach doing to fix it? Where is the urgency and accountability? Or are we just resigned to failure this year with most of the season left?

I would think any head coach would be in that offensive meeting room breaking heads and doing everything in his power until this thing at least serviceable to get through the rest of the season.

The "85% Defense" formula for Duzzi's time and energy ain't cutting it. His livelihood is on the line and Bates is more than capable of handling that D room on his own.
I think he, and many others that unfortunately matter, think it’s fine for us to coast for a few years.

He is at the point where he thinks he’s earned the right to play, and likely lose a lot, his way … rather than play, and possibly win a lot, somebody’s else’s way; specifically, the way of some whacky, zany, irresponsible OC that believes in scoring a great deal.

So yeah… I think he is perfectly willing to let this season go down the tubes playing his way.

It will be up to the AD everyone raves about and loves, and the school president hire that most seemed to rave about and love, to have guts and good sense to intervene in the offseason.

128th in passer rating.

The defense is a C. The offense is an F.

Does anyone in their right mind want Narduzzi in the offensive room more? What could he possibly add?
I don't really think he has much to add in that room, but for God's sake, don't come right out and admit that you pay no attention to the offense and that you don't even understand it much, as he has done this year. It makes him look like an idiot.

It's not great, but it's by far the lesser problem. When the offense can't stay on the field and score points, the defense is doomed regardless.
This. They go hand in hand. When it’s three and out even good defenses get tired and exposed. This defense is a notch down in talent on the front four especially from past tense but it’s still good enough to have won every game so far with some help from the offense.

To your point for sure if I was Duzz I’d be telling the bullshit artist cignetti to get his shit together. Problem is it’s not like he has anyone in the wings who could take over should he can him. Time to change the menu at the Waffle House and start some of the frosh over memes and Reynolds. Can they be any worse ?? Also demand that they get the ball to Bart more and have more plays designed for him

specifically, the way of some whacky, zany, irresponsible OC that believes in scoring a great deal.
It seems easy for me to imagine Narduzzi interviewing an Offensive Coordinator that has run a successful, high scoring, pass heavy, defensive gap exploiting offense and calling him whacky and irresponsible to his face.

Does anyone in their right mind want Narduzzi in the offensive room more? What could he possibly add?
We all know offense is not his forte, to put it kindly. But he's the boss, and he needs to be tuned in to what;s going on, and his presence needs to be felt. Instead of deflecting blame after the fact, he needs to take ownership and make his presence felt in that other room.

Of course, who knows how much of what he says at his rambling pressers about how he manages his program is just BS. I'd take the 85% comment with a couple of grains of NaCl. for all we know he spends more time with the O than the D.

The offense was actually better Saturday night until Phil went out. But there's several problems with the offense where there is no quick fix.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley

As I said
Defense is a sieve

Honestly, unless he's fired I think he's going to do nothing different to fix it. It seems like in his mind the playbook, offensive philosophy and even the QB are just fine, just need to execute. I think next year if he has his way, it will stay the same.

Honestly, unless he's fired I think he's going to do nothing different to fix it. It seems like in his mind the playbook, offensive philosophy and even the QB are just fine, just need to execute. I think next year if he has his way, it will stay the same.
Because he is an incredibly lazy coach .
It’s really that simple .
Great coaches adapt game to game and season to season .
Lazy ones think it’s all plug and play .
Guess which one Duzz is ?

Reactions: Pitt79 and Dan1911
I don’t know if he’s lazy but we all know he’s definitely stubborn in that regard.

The defense isn't much better. The one thing all this mediocrity has in common is Narduzzi. Hopefully Youngstown High needs a gym coach

He's like my high school coach, back in the 70s, we ran the ball 90% of the time, and 80% of the time we ran ''28 Power'', everyone knew it was coming, he didn't need signals or radios in the helmets, he just yelled from the sidelines, "run it again" :)

Reactions: NKSplitter
He's like my high school coach, back in the 70s, we ran the ball 90% of the time, and 80% of the time we ran ''28 Power'', everyone knew it was coming, he didn't need signals or radios in the helmets, he just yelled from the sidelines, "run it again" :)
I seriously think Duzz, Tomlin, Rooney all have a hardon for the old, "we'll let 'em know what's coming and dare them to stop us" mano a mano macho man mindset, and on top of that, trying to do it with inferior personnel, in an era where the opposing coaches are too sophisticated to not figure out how to stuff it.

Duzz is anything but lazy. He's definitely not plug and play.
Well I don't know whether or not he's lazy, but I agree with your plug and play comment.

if he was truly plug and play, we might see some kind of consistency in his program over 9 years. Instead it like me with my golf game. After 30 years of playing, every time I step on the the first tee it might as well be the first time I ever picked up a club.

128th in passer rating.
Time for the update.

Pitt is the worst offense faced by 3 of our 4 FBS opponents.
Pitt gained 273 yards vs VT. The next closest was Old Dominion with 295 yards.

Pitt is 115th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 129th in yards per game.
Pitt is 116th in yards per play.
Pitt is 124th in average time of possession (Dead last by 2% points in 2nd half TOP).
126th in completions per game.
Still Dead last in completion percentage.
120th in passer rating.
95st in yards per pass attempt.
124th in turnover margin.
122nd in interceptions per passing attempt.
124th in penalties per game

Reactions: KennyTheKangaroo
Time for the update.

Pitt is the worst offense faced by 3 of our 4 FBS opponents.
Pitt gained 273 yards vs VT. The next closest was Old Dominion with 295 yards.

Pitt is 115th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 129th in yards per game.
Pitt is 116th in yards per play.
Pitt is 124th in average time of possession (Dead last by 2% points in 2nd half TOP).
126th in completions per game.
Still Dead last in completion percentage.
120th in passer rating.
95st in yards per pass attempt.
124th in turnover margin.
122nd in interceptions per passing attempt.
124th in penalties per game
It's been a few games, let's see how they've improved.
Pitt is still the worst offense performance faced by 2 of our 6 FBS opponents.
2nd worst offense for another 2 of the 6.

Pitt is 101st out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 121st in yards per game.
Pitt is 106th in yards per play.
Pitt is 123rd in average time of possession (Still dead last in 2nd half TOP).
112th in completions per game.
129th in completion percentage.
104th in passer rating.
86th in yards per pass attempt.
61st in turnover margin.
76th in interceptions per passing attempt.
131st in penalties per game

Reactions: KennyTheKangaroo

104th in passer rating.
61st in turnover margin.
Can those with volleyball tickets 😁 print these stats and hand them to Ms Lyke there on regular basis to reinforce that she may have to force an OC change after the season. Duz is going to be reluctant at best and defiant at worst. She will also have follow through and make this happen quickly, not a typical Paul Chryst long and slow slog to only then hire a gibrone in March.

104th in passer rating.
61st in turnover margin.
Updating this post is beginning to feel like bullying.

Pitt is 116th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 125st in yards per game.
Pitt is 107th in yards per play.
Pitt is 124rd in average time of possession (132nd in 2nd half TOP).
110th in completions per game.
128th in completion percentage.
113th in passer rating.
91st in yards per pass attempt.
98th in turnover margin.
123rd in interceptions per passing attempt.

Updating this post is beginning to feel like bullying.

Pitt is 116th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 125st in yards per game.
Pitt is 107th in yards per play.
Pitt is 124rd in average time of possession (132nd in 2nd half TOP).
110th in completions per game.
128th in completion percentage.
113th in passer rating.
91st in yards per pass attempt.
98th in turnover margin.
123rd in interceptions per passing attempt.
Any reason you’re leaving out 115 in rushing yardage per game?

Our old offensive coordinator had no desire to run the ball,” Narduzzi said. Everybody knew it. He was stubborn.

Any reason you’re leaving out 115 in rushing yardage per game?

Our old offensive coordinator had no desire to run the ball,” Narduzzi said. Everybody knew it. He was stubborn.
when I started this it was mostly to point out how terrible the offense was with Jurk under center.

This is the stat that makes me want to vomit.

How many drives were stalled.....how many times did the defense get off the field only to stay on the field?

The OC's come and go, but Narduzzis legacy here will be undisciplined play that killed Pitt in so many games.

Duzz is anything but lazy. He's definitely not plug and play.
Lazy intellectually would be accurate. He and his teams have the same flaws today as they typically have had through his entire tenure. Does he actually take stock of his teams weaknesses and why they lose?

Reactions: Jim Z
Remember when that OC didn't try to run the ball once on the goal line vs PSU? Yeah - that guy isn't around anymore.
Remember when that HC opted for a FG attempt from the 1 on 4th and goal trailing by 7 against PSU with 4 minutes left in the game?

Yeah--that guy is still around. Your hero.

Reactions: Jim Z
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT