ADVERTISEMENT

I think everyone would agree that the offense is broken.....

Updating this post is beginning to feel like bullying.

Pitt is 116th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 125st in yards per game.
Pitt is 107th in yards per play.
Pitt is 124rd in average time of possession (132nd in 2nd half TOP).
110th in completions per game.
128th in completion percentage.
113th in passer rating.
91st in yards per pass attempt.
98th in turnover margin.
123rd in interceptions per passing attempt.
131st in penalties per game
Figure it's time to update because someone said our team has shown improvement this year. Everyone better watch out, we're world beaters now.

Pitt is 120th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 121st in yards per game.
Pitt is 105th in yards per play.
Pitt is 127rd in average time of possession (132nd in 2nd half TOP).
130th in completion percentage.
115th in passer rating.
84th in yards per pass attempt.
110th in turnover margin.
120rd in interceptions per passing attempt.

Figure it's time to update because someone said our team has shown improvement this year. Everyone better watch out, we're world beaters now.

115th in passer rating.
Nah. No changes in anything needed. Stay the course. A thousand points of light…except on the scoreboard (by our name)

The question is, what is the head coach doing to fix it? Where is the urgency and accountability? Or are we just resigned to failure this year with most of the season left?

I would think any head coach would be in that offensive meeting room breaking heads and doing everything in his power until this thing at least serviceable to get through the rest of the season.

The "85% Defense" formula for Duzzi's time and energy ain't cutting it. His livelihood is on the line and Bates is more than capable of handling that D room on his own.
The offense isn't merely broken, it doesn't exist. We can't run, we can't throw, we can't block....heck we can't punt.

And btw, Narduzzi's job may be on the line but not his livelihood. His livelihood was guaranteed when HL signed his monster extension. Reality is that even if he's fired tomorrow, he's set for life without working one more day. Realistically, if Pitt fires PN, he'll probably turn up as a D Coordinator (if he even wants to work).

Cruzer

The offense isn't merely broken, it doesn't exist. We can't run, we can't throw, we can't block....heck we can't punt.

And btw, Narduzzi's job may be on the line but not his livelihood. His livelihood was guaranteed when HL signed his monster extension. Reality is that even if he's fired tomorrow, he's set for life without working one more day. Realistically, if Pitt fires PN, he'll probably turn up as a D Coordinator (if he even wants to work).

Cruzer
This is the point most forget when they post things like “Narduzzi will be coaching for his job next season” as if this might threat might remotely bother him. Hell, might actually be thrilled if he were fired. I’m not saying he is lacking integrity or anything. Just that he (like most of us here) might well see the writing on the wall, after recruiting actually become MORE difficult rather than easier after 2021, thanks to out of control NIL and pay for play, and that Pitt’s long term future is in serious doubt due to inevitable conference restructuring. Already this season his heart seems less in it, he rips the fans, complaining about the new mass transfer tactics, blames his players for sucking, silent / indifferent on bad officiating etc.

I’m sure he’s going to be pressured to make some at least some significant changes in this offseason. New OC, more modern philosophy etc. If he balks and refuses, it might not ONLY be stubborn pride, but a resignation of Pitt’s untenable situation. He may well dare to be fired, to be given a huge buyout to walk away, and boast it was on his terms…but really to get out of dodge before things really collapse down to 1996 levels. I don’t think the latter is impossible by any means.

115th in passer rating.
This is beyond pathetic and is an indictment of the whole offensive staff and Narduzzi. This isn’t after 1 or 2 games. 3/4 of the season is done and to tolerate this is inexcusable.

This is beyond pathetic and is an indictment of the whole offensive staff and Narduzzi. This isn’t after 1 or 2 games. 3/4 of the season is done and to tolerate this is inexcusable.
Yep. I thought 2019 was going to be the worst Pitt offense that I'd see in my lifetime. Boy was I wrong.

What do you boo city people expect? They changed the quarterback. And … well … they also gave CBo lots more looks. What else do you whiners expect?

Reactions: PANTHERAN

115th in passer rating.
Let's see how much Pitt has improved after playing the 115th ranked passing defense in the nation.

Pitt is 124th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 126st in yards per game.
Pitt is 100th in yards per play.
Pitt is 130th in average time of possession (Dead Last in 2nd half TOP).
129th in completion percentage.
111th in passer rating.
81st in yards per pass attempt.
126th in turnover margin.
119th in interceptions per passing attempt.
128th in penalties per game

I don't think there is any question as to whether or not this is the worst offense in Pitt history.

edit: and because someone asked last post why I wasn't including rushing stats.
127th in rushing yards per game
117th in yards per rushing attempt

Let's see how much Pitt has improved after playing the 115th ranked passing defense in the nation.

Pitt is 124th out of 133 in points per game.
Pitt is 126st in yards per game.
Pitt is 100th in yards per play.
Pitt is 130th in average time of possession (Dead Last in 2nd half TOP).
129th in completion percentage.
111th in passer rating.
81st in yards per pass attempt.
126th in turnover margin.
119th in interceptions per passing attempt.
128th in penalties per game

I don't think there is any question as to whether or not this is the worst offense in Pitt history.

edit: and because someone asked last post why I wasn't including rushing stats.
127th in rushing yards per game
117th in yards per rushing attempt
To be this incompetent in all facets of offensive football is a disgrace. Narduzzi should be ashamed especially after being one of the 5 best offenses just 2 years ago.

Don’t you just know Cig will run up the middle knowing BC’s pass defense is suspect? Or make it easy by shrinking the field for opposing DB’s using the sidelines and short-of-the-sticks passes?

The question is, what is the head coach doing to fix it? Where is the urgency and accountability? Or are we just resigned to failure this year with most of the season left?

I would think any head coach would be in that offensive meeting room breaking heads and doing everything in his power until this thing at least serviceable to get through the rest of the season.

The "85% Defense" formula for Duzzi's time and energy ain't cutting it. His livelihood is on the line and Bates is more than capable of handling that D room on his own.
Narduzzi should have fires Cignetti after WVU. Then put Salem in for the balance of the year.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
Every long tenured coach has some down years.

This is not a down year. This is a disastrous year. After NINE YEARS at the helm, a mere TWO YEARS removed from a record setting offense and 11 wins, this season could not have been possible without a massive failure at the head coach level.

It's worth re-emphasizing that this dolt wanted Whipple gone after 2020. If Pickett had not leveraged him by agreeing to come back for one more year on the condition that Whipple be retained, Nardon'tzi wouldn't even have 2021 on his scorecard.

How do you know a coach is an idiot? Because the first thing he does after the best offensive season in school history is to boot the architect of that offense out the door and talk a bunch of smack about needing to run the ball more as soon as he's gone. His actions speak for themselves--he actually is that stupid.

Last edited:
Every long tenured coach has some down years.

This is not a down year. This is a disastrous year. After NINE YEARS at the helm, a mere TWO YEARS removed from a record setting offense and 11 wins, this season could not have been possible without a massive failure at the head coach level.

It's worth re-emphasizing that this dolt wanted Whipple gone after 2020. If Pickett had not leveraged him by agreeing to come back for one more year on the condition that Whipple be retained, Nardon'tzi wouldn't even have 2021 on his scorecard.

How do you know a coach is an idiot? Because the first thing he does after the best offensive season in school history is to boot the architect of that offense out the door and talk a bunch of smack about needing to run thte ball more him as soon as he's gone. His actions speak for themselves--he actually is that stupid.
To be fair to Duzz, Whipple’s 2019 offense is likely one of the 10 worst offenses in Pitt history. His 2020 offense was also bad (10th in ACC in scoring). If Kenny didn’t return in 2021 and Whipple had to use a new QB, we’d likely have cratered again.

Firing Whipple without Kenny returning would have absolutely been the right call.

To be fair to Duzz, Whipple’s 2019 offense is likely one of the 10 worst offenses in Pitt history. His 2020 offense was also bad (10th in ACC in scoring). If Kenny didn’t return in 2021 and Whipple had to use a new QB, we’d likely have cratered again.

Firing Whipple without Kenny returning would have absolutely been the right call.
I understand that Whipple had to go after Pickett’s last year according to Narduzzi but hiring Cignetti was the death blow. Anyone else would have been better and might have avoided this disaster.

What’s even more perplexing is seeing what a high-powered offense could do for the program and then deciding to go back to a ball control offense after recruiting players for the previous system.

it doesn't always work when schools try to bring in former players as coaches. However, it's obvious that our offense needs a boost.

There are a couple Pitt guys at JMU we might like to consider. Shanahan and Sunseri seem to be doing a good job. Mike is the Off. coordinator and Tino is QB coach.

In case we're looking, this might be a good place to start.

I understand that Whipple had to go after Pickett’s last year according to Narduzzi but hiring Cignetti was the death blow. Anyone else would have been better and might have avoided this disaster.

What’s even more perplexing is seeing what a high-powered offense could do for the program and then deciding to go back to a ball control offense after recruiting players for the previous system.
This makes no sense.

Pitt ran the same offense in 2021 as they did in 2019 & 2020. There was NOTHING high powered about it when Kenny Pickett wasn't behind center.

Specifically what players were recruited for the previous system that would be stand outs today if Whipple were still the OC?

Everyone saw what the offense looked like last year. Take away the QB, the only game breaker (Izzy) and the leading receiver, subtract 2 veteran OL and put an inexperienced QB this is pretty much what you get.

When you can't run the ball, and the QB isn't a good enough passer to sustain drives, that's a pretty good formula for failure.

Blame the OC all you want, and he probably deserves his fair share. But this isn't all on his shoulders and it isn't going to be a quick fix.

This makes no sense.

Pitt ran the same offense in 2021 as they did in 2019 & 2020. There was NOTHING high powered about it when Kenny Pickett wasn't behind center.

Specifically what players were recruited for the previous system that would be stand outs today if Whipple were still the OC?

Everyone saw what the offense looked like last year. Take away the QB, the only game breaker (Izzy) and the leading receiver, subtract 2 veteran OL and put an inexperienced QB this is pretty much what you get.

When you can't run the ball, and the QB isn't a good enough passer to sustain drives, that's a pretty good formula for failure.

Blame the OC all you want, and he probably deserves his fair share. But this isn't all on his shoulders and it isn't going to be a quick fix.

The Miami and BC games in 2019 were prime examples of that and I think Pickett played in both those games. 2020 ND with Yellen was painful

Reactions: TD_6082
This makes no sense.

Wasn’t Pickett the starting QB in 2019 and 2020 when there was “nothing high powered” about that Whipple offense?

Didn’t the entire 2021 O line come back for 2022 when the offense was far from high powered?

Was Slovis an inexperienced QB?

Whipple may have run the same base offense schematically in 2021 that he ran in 2019 and 2020, but he called his plays a lot differently in 2021, more aggressively, a lot more vertical, a faster tempo, the field spread out more, a lot more players touching the ball.

Why is that? I’m sure due to a lot of things, like trusting his QB and personnel more after 2 years of working with them. But I suspect also because he knew, as everyone did, that his boss didn’t like him and he wouldn’t be back in 2022, so he called his offense exactly the way he wanted to, instead of the way his boss wanted him to. I’d bet that was a big part of the deal when Pickett decided to come back on the condition that Whipple was retained. Whipple told KP that he would showcase Pickett more and improve his NFL prospects. And he did exactly that. Just as WLAT did to get Larry Fitz to pick Pitt over OSU and a number of other heavies.

Just for fun, here’s an actual quote from the Duzz from August 2021, right before the season started and Pitt unleashed one of the best passing offenses in the country:

“We’ve got to somehow, some way become a lot better in the running game,” Narduzzi said.“You can all look at the tailback. It’s everybody. I said it in the spring, I was impressed with how our wide receivers went down the field and blocked. It’s hard to break explosive runs when you don’t go down and get those guys in the secondary, those four other guys.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT