ADVERTISEMENT

I was a child of the 50’s and 60’s. What was your favorite snack?

I stopped asking for hamburgers as a little kid, because my Mom's idea of a burger (she really is a great cook - not including hamburgers) was a burnt round thing cooked in a pan on the stove top, about 3 inches in diameter on white bread, with ketchup.

Reactions: PITTfanSD
Mine would make them and turn them upside down on coke bottles to cool.
Speaking of....same era.....probably deserves its own thread..but old school 60's/70's era candy.

Those stupid wax little coke bottles filled with flavored juice.

I have to say I would never trade the era I grew up in with what kids have now. Sure, they have cooler and more realistic video games. But you know the whole walking to school thing, and having small little mom and pop stores along the way, stopping on the way home to pick up a Yahoo, or candy cigarettes, or dip in stix, some baseball cards, life was really good then.

Chocolate pop-tarts with chocolate icing were a big hit when I was a kid.

I bought a box a few years ago out of nostalgia, and I they were horrible.

Beverages: little hugs, Tom tucker mint ginger ale

food: Cap’n Crunch and Cocoa Puffs, marathon bars, zagnut, those nasty wax things with juice in them, candy cigarettes.

Almost forgot: those breaded deviled crabs you got at the deli section...came on an aluminum pan...
And those store made subs with soggy lettuce...and the pizzas made with store made pizza shells you’d buy in the bread section.

Friday night dinner: The week my father got paid: Macaroni & cheese, stewed tomatoes and Mrs. Paul's fish sticks.
The week my father didn't get paid: Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich (during summer the grilled cheese sandwich included a slice or two of tomato). During Lent . . . pretty much the same meal on Wednesday, too.
My mother was a fairly good cook except on Friday and during Lent when we were supposed to make a "small sacrifice".

Speaking of....same era.....probably deserves its own thread..but old school 60's/70's era candy.

Those stupid wax little coke bottles filled with flavored juice.

I have to say I would never trade the era I grew up in with what kids have now. Sure, they have cooler and more realistic video games. But you know the whole walking to school thing, and having small little mom and pop stores along the way, stopping on the way home to pick up a Yahoo, or candy cigarettes, or dip in stix, some baseball cards, life was really good then.
Kids can still walk to school
It is honestly far safer now then back then.

what the hell kind of Pitt fan reminisces about "soda"? the word is pop.
I grew up in good South Carolina , came North after HS in '72 at the urging of my dad's youngest brother who got me a job up here, turned out it was a great time to be a college football fan in Pittsburgh, and to top it off Coach Majors sounded just like , well it sounded just like being back home, of course recruiting one Tony Dorsett made it all the sweeter.

Chef boyardee Raviolis right out of the can cold. Learned that from my dad who had been in the service where he learned it I'm sure. Once in a great while it's still comfort food.

Isalys chipped ham (in Jeannette) sandwiches with ketchup.
A&W Root Beer and assorted fruit-flavored Mentos while walking my paper route.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Some of these options sound
like they’re from The Great Depression.
I was born late to my parents. They were both born in the 20s and grew up in the depression, so I'm sure it had a lot of bearing on how I was raised.

We didn't waste anything; saved money; rarely ate out at restaurants; raised gardens; etc...

We would have bread pudding often, as a way to get rid of stale bread. I REALLY like my Mom's bread pudding to this day. She, on the other hand, had it way too often when she was a kid, and doesn't like it.

Her Dad, my Grandfather, had a grocery store when she was young (he lost it in WWll because most of the things he needed to sell were rationed). Most of the things she grew up on were the things he couldn't sell at the store.

She tells the story of being at a church dinner after she was married and a fruit salad looked odd to her. It finally donned on her that the banana slices in the salad were whole circles, and all of the bananas she was used to seeing had portions cut out that were too over ripe to eat, so they were odd shaped when sliced.

These days, we take a lot for granted in this country.

Last edited:
When I was young, I’d make these quick, cheap “hors d’oeuvres” from crackers, cheese, and pepperoni. Take any large cracker(s), put a thin slice of pepperoni on it, then top it with any kind of “meltable” cheese. Heat under a broiler (or in a microwave) until the cheese melts.

Many years later, I made these for my kids, and they loved them. They’re great to eat while watching football on TV, and the ingredients are foods that we usually have on hand. (And they go well with beer or wine.)

When I was young, I’d make these quick, cheap “hors d’oeuvres” from crackers, cheese, and pepperoni. Take any large cracker(s), put a thin slice of pepperoni on it, then top it with any kind of “meltable” cheese. Heat under a broiler (or in a microwave) until the cheese melts.

Many years later, I made these for my kids, and they loved them. They’re great to eat while watching football on TV, and the ingredients are foods that we usually have on hand. (And they go well with beer or wine.)
Would do similar but with yellow mustard instead of spray cheese

The snack I miss dearly from the US is 'Nilla Wafers. My daughter traveled back to the US just prior to the Covid mess and she brought me a box back.

Italy’s chipped ham although awesome was pretty white and fatty..had to use their BBQ sauce...
Also made BBQ’s with ketchup and coke.....plus a little relish and mustard...

Was it different in Jeannette than in their other 50 western PA stores?
I know it sounds stupid now but I guess I really didn’t know there were a bunch of them. I didn’t have much mobility opportunities growing and then I went away for college. After college moved away and only returned to visit family.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned fried bologna sandwiches, popsicles, or Jiffy Pop popcorn. Staple snacks if you grew up in the 60's.

Italy’s chipped ham although awesome was pretty white and fatty..had to use their BBQ sauce...
Also made BBQ’s with ketchup and coke.....plus a little relish and mustard...
YES! Ham Barbecue. My mom still makes this to this day and it is still absolutely awesome that just like a grilled cheese and tomato soup can transport you back in time.

YES! Ham Barbecue. My mom still makes this to this day and it is still absolutely awesome that just like a grilled cheese and tomato soup can transport you back in time.
Chicken and dumplings is one of those dishes for me.

Or, as they call it where I live now, chicken and pastry.

Fried baloney on white bread. Tang orange juice. Canned cheese whiz. Isaly's skyscraper cone as a treat when there was extra money in the house.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT