ADVERTISEMENT

I would hire Josh Gattis

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
- proven to be an excellent recruiter at PSU

- the genius that is James Franklin hired him and he doesn't make mistakes with AC hires

- Nick Saban thought enough of him to hire him away from PSU and made him the Co-OC/WR coach

- Young, energetic, from Durham, NC, played at Wake Forest, knows the ACC

There. That's how easy it is. I dont care about X and O coaching. Hire some good coordinators and get your @ss on the road. Tell them you"ll see them for the end of season banquet. In today's college football, the biggest priorities are:

1. Recruiting
2. Recruiting
3. Recruiting
4. Hiring good assistants
5. Game planning/gameday coaching

If your players arent good enough, nothing else matters

- the genius that is James Franklin hired him and he doesn't make mistakes with AC hires

- Nick Saban thought enough of him to hire him away from PSU and made him the Co-OC/WR coach

There. That's how easy it is. I dont care about X and O coaching. Hire some good coordinators and get your @ss on the road. Tell them you"ll see them for the end of season banquet. In today's college football, the biggest priorities are:

1. Recruiting
2. Recruiting
3. Recruiting

GREAT point about get your ass on the road. Head coaches #1 ...#2...and #3 job is to get into players houses and sell sell sell.

Here’s the deal. People need a dose of reality. Yes we need elite recruiters, but Pitt is a very difficult sale to big time recruits. Other schools treat their players like Greek Gods. Their fans and school go out of their way to help them during their time in school and after graduation. If Pitt wants to win and land good recruits, then they need to play the game that everyone else does or else you will continue to see the same mediocrity year in and year out.

Gattis didn't leave PSU to go to Bama, in order to then take the Pitt job. He'll wind up running a true big-time program in a few years if he stays there.
Why do you continue to post here Nitter? Shouldn’t you be on the OSU board? You have a big game against them.

Why do you continue to post here Nitter? Shouldn’t you be on the OSU board? You have a big game against them.

Ah, we're back to that. Can't say I'm surprised.

People like you are this board's worst enemies. Anyone who tells the truth is a Nitter, and yet, everything that us "Nitters" have cautioned about, has turned out to be true. People like you choose to ignore any rational poster that doesn't wholly accept the Kool-Aid line, and then somehow you are shocked when yesterday happens. This place is a damned sociology experiment.

Ah, we're back to that. Can't say I'm surprised.

People like you are this board's worst enemies. Anyone who tells the truth is a Nitter, and yet, everything that us "Nitters" have cautioned about, has turned out to be true. People like you choose to ignore any rational poster that doesn't wholly accept the Kool-Aid line, and then somehow you are shocked when yesterday happens. This place is a damned sociology experiment.
You have come out and said you are a PS fan. The question is why do you care about a middling program that is beneath PS?

Here’s the deal. People need a dose of reality. Yes we need elite recruiters, but Pitt is a very difficult sale to big time recruits. Other schools treat their players like Greek Gods. Their fans and school go out of their way to help them during their time in school and after graduation. If Pitt wants to win and land good recruits, then they need to play the game that everyone else does or else you will continue to see the same mediocrity year in and year out.

I'm not asking a HC to beat ND, PSU, or OSU for recruits (ok the local ones). Beat VT, UNC, Maryland, Kentucky for recruits. Do that, get 5-6 4 stars a year and we'll have enough to go 8-4, 9-3, maybe a 10-2 once a decade

1. Recruiting
2. Recruiting
3. Recruiting

He is a great recruiter, so it isn't a crazy suggestion.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I want a head coach with success , no more learning on the job. Staff of recruiters and HC that doesnt show up wearing brown pants , floods and black shoes sporting white tube socks, looking like a dumpster at a recruits home. That's a start

Reactions: Nationalchamps1
I want a head coach with success , no more learning on the job. Staff of recruiters and HC that doesnt show up wearing brown pants , floods and black shoes sporting white tube socks, looking like a dumpster at a recruits home. That's a start

The only PROVEN HC Pitt can get is:

1. A blacklisted coach like Art Briles or Jim Tressel and Pitt is too holy for that

2. A lower G5 coach, which is a lottery ticket. If they were proven as a big-time recruiter somewhere else as an assistant than ok. If not, pass. Example: lets say Josh Gattis or Jeff Hafley won a MAC Championship, ok, hire them because they are proven recruiters. If Matt Canada wins a MAC Championship somewhere, pass because he can't recruit well enough. Pitt needs a top-level recruiter.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Gattis didn't leave PSU to go to Bama, in order to then take the Pitt job. He'll wind up running a true big-time program in a few years if he stays there.
Big time programs don't hire DC or OC. They hire HC who have proven to be good HC at a lower level, or lesser program. You don't go from OC to HC at a top 20 program. You go to a FBS school win and then you get a big time job. Most times you go to a akron or UCF type of program and then make a jump to a UNC type of program then get the Bama or TX gig. Thats how strong went to TX.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I'm not asking a HC to beat ND, PSU, or OSU for recruits (ok the local ones). Beat VT, UNC, Maryland, Kentucky for recruits. Do that, get 5-6 4 stars a year and we'll have enough to go 8-4, 9-3, maybe a 10-2 once a decade
spot on. Even under DW we didn't get many kids that the true blue bloods wanted except for a few locals. You have to win half your battles for local kids like pryor or foster(true 5 star national recruits) then you have to win battles against the next level teams. Do that run a innovative program with good QB play and you can win a lot of games. WVU isn't a top 20 team without Grier QB play in a QB centric system is how a middle tier program wins lots of games. The one issue with that is you have to find the QB's!!!!!!!

You have come out and said you are a PS fan. The question is why do you care about a middling program that is beneath PS?

I never said that. I said I have a kid who goes to PSU. I have other kids who went elsewhere. I didn't graduate from PSU or from Pitt. I am a fan of both schools, which for some reason is a concept you can't comprehend.

I don't live in State College. I go to games up there maybe a few times a decade. I am a Pitt season ticket holder. I don't go to every game (who does?), but I go to most of them.

All of those concepts do not make me a "Nitter", and do not automatically mean I am wholly biased. The problem is, it's not my presumed "bias" that is painful for you. It's that I am not blind to reality, and frankly, too many people here are.

I would be thrilled if both schools could be where they once were, when I was younger. It is best for everybody, and for Pittsburgh the city, and for the state. Unfortunately, you seem to think that fandom is a zero sum game, and it isn't.

Big time programs don't hire DC or OC. They hire HC who have proven to be good HC at a lower level, or lesser program. You don't go from OC to HC at a top 20 program. You go to a FBS school win and then you get a big time job. Most times you go to a akron or UCF type of program and then make a jump to a UNC type of program then get the Bama or TX gig. Thats how strong went to TX.

Well, you might explain Kirby Smart. Chris Ash (whoops, bad example). Will Muschamp. Jeremy Pruitt. And that's just Saban and Meyer's guys, off the top of my head. There are others. PLENTY of guys go from coordinators at big programs, to head coaches.

I never said that. I said I have a kid who goes to PSU. I have other kids who went elsewhere. I didn't graduate from PSU or from Pitt. I am a fan of both schools, which for some reason is a concept you can't comprehend.

I don't live in State College. I go to games up there maybe a few times a decade. I am a Pitt season ticket holder. I don't go to every game (who does?), but I go to most of them.

All of those concepts do not make me a "Nitter", and do not automatically mean I am wholly biased. The problem is, it's not my presumed "bias" that is painful for you. It's that I am not blind to reality, and frankly, too many people here are.

I would be thrilled if both schools could be where they once were, when I was younger. It is best for everybody, and for Pittsburgh the city, and for the state. Unfortunately, you seem to think that fandom is a zero sum game, and it isn't.
So is diehard right? Did you say you were a Penn State fan? I don't remember you doing that but maybe I'm wrong.

Well, you might explain Kirby Smart. Chris Ash (whoops, bad example). Will Muschamp. Jeremy Pruitt. And that's just Saban and Meyer's guys, off the top of my head. There are others. PLENTY of guys go from coordinators at big programs, to head coaches.
Herman won at Houston before Texas hired him.

True, I deleted Herman. He did get a stint at Houston. But Houston is at the same level as Pitt. He did the same thing that Chryst did. Start at the Pitt/Houston level, and move up after success.

So is diehard right? Did you say you were a Penn State fan? I don't remember you doing that but maybe I'm wrong.

I follow both programs equally. Born and bred in Pittsburgh. But I know. Apparently can't follow and be knowledgeable about both programs. We're back to the zero sum game.

But let's be honest here: one program has a whole lot more positive right now, and one has a whole lot more negative. Merely acknowledging reality should not be a crime.

And let's throw out one more big truism: PSU coverage is overall much more prolific. Some of that is the sheer numbers, hence The Athletic covers PSU and not Pitt. But some of it is Narduzzi, who is not particularly good at dealing with media, while Franklin has that whole aspect down. Bitch about it or not, it's important. Perception is very, very important, and it colors media reaction.

1. Recruiting
2. Recruiting
3. Recruiting

Have you.....or any others on here that think you make any sense....ever considered Pitt's image in the eyes of up and coming coaches?

Has it ever occured that a significant portion of coaches that everyone is clamoring for would view pitt as nothing more than a big oversized bright yellow dumpster fire?

Why would the best young coaches put their career on the line for a program that has done absolutely nothing for 35 years?

Reactions: PittFanDan17

1. Recruiting
2. Recruiting
3. Recruiting

Have you.....or any others on here that think you make any sense....ever considered Pitt's image in the eyes of up and coming coaches?

Has it ever occured that a significant portion of coaches that everyone is clamoring for would view pitt as nothing more than a big oversized bright yellow dumpster fire?

Why would the best young coaches put their career on the line for a program that has done absolutely nothing for 35 years?

$3 million/year and a major FBS job which is not guaranteed to ever come again

smart was a georgia guy with strong ties.
Ash obviously didn't take a blue blood job.
I can't remember FL st, TX, ND Bama, MI,OSU, OK hiring a DC or OC.
TN was desperate for a HC after a completely botched hiring process and I don't think I would consider TN a real blue blood. Point is most blue bloods aren't hiring a college DC or OC. I would bet %90 of those hires are current or former HC's

smart was a georgia guy with strong ties.
Ash obviously didn't take a blue blood job.
I can't remember FL st, TX, ND Bama, MI,OSU, OK hiring a DC or OC.
TN was desperate for a HC after a completely botched hiring process and I don't think I would consider TN a real blue blood. Point is most blue bloods aren't hiring a college DC or OC. I would bet %90 of those hires are current or former HC's

I think the thought would be a guy like Gattis would wait for a better non-blue blood job like Moorhead to Miss St

True, I deleted Herman. He did get a stint at Houston. But Houston is at the same level as Pitt. He did the same thing that Chryst did. Start at the Pitt/Houston level, and move up after success.
which was my point in the first place. Most college OC or DC won't get a job at a college football blue blood. You need to get some HC experience first which is why some one like Gattis would be interested in the job. If he comes to pitt and wins 8 games a year he can then go to a GA, FL. If he wins 10 games he can get any job in the country he wants. He will be beating AD's off his front porch.

Well, if you're right, Gattis may turn out to be a great hire. The guy can recruit like blazes; as good a job as Franklin's guys have done, there is no doubt that Gattis was the big fish there. I think part of the reason they went out and got Seider was because they knew they couldn't replace him with who they already had on board, he was that good. Gattis was also a great position coach.

If Bama wins the NC again, though, he's going to be in demand. If not this year, then very soon.

I think the thought would be a guy like Gattis would wait for a better non-blue blood job like Moorhead to Miss St
Miss ST isn't really a better job anyhow other than they might pay more. Its not a easy place to win. Sure its easier to recruit more than likely but you have a tougher conference. They hired Moorhead who wasn't exactly a huge name. He was basically PN on offense with a couple of years at a very low level as HC.
Pitt can hire most OC or DC. We aren't rutgers, Indiana or illinois yet. The real question is Can Pitt hire a hot young coach at a program like toledo,central MI etc etc. Basically those guys are close tois landing a TN or UNC level job which is likely a step up from where Pitt is now. After Walt I think we could have had someone at that level. I think the program really took a huge hit after DW and the whole coaching fiasco.

Mississippi State is not a better job than where? Pitt? C'mon, it's in the SEC. It's warm down there. There's a shitload of talent all over the region. Plus, nobody expects him to beat the big boys. All he has to do is stay sort of close, and get into a decent bowl game. The academic standards are helpful, as well.

That's the very definition of a good stepping stone job.

Moorhead may be from Pittsburgh, but he's not a good fit for Pitt. He isn't a recruiter, and he doesn't have a ton of contacts out in the coaching world (at least not yet). He doesn't have good access to the great recruiting assistants at this point.

Mississippi State is not a better job than where? Pitt? C'mon, it's in the SEC. It's warm down there. There's a shitload of talent all over the region. Plus, nobody expects him to beat the big boys. All he has to do is stay sort of close, and get into a decent bowl game. The academic standards are helpful, as well.

That's the very definition of a good stepping stone job.

Moorhead may be from Pittsburgh, but he's not a good fit for Pitt. He isn't a recruiter, and he doesn't have a ton of contacts out in the coaching world (at least not yet). He doesn't have good access to the great recruiting assistants at this point.

and you know this how?

When he left PSU for Miss State, he had a tough time filling out his staff. He leaned heavily on his PSU connections, because somehow he didn't have a network to draw from. He wound up hiring a DC with significant baggage who was previously at PSU and then flamed out at Tennessee, for example.

He'll get the network going eventually, but it will take some time. And it's initially likely to be SEC-based, which may or may not play well if he got hired up here.

Here is a suggestion-

I think we need an offensive-minded coach who already has experience. Neal Brown of Troy and Satterfield at App State come to mind. Heck, bring in Moorehead or Ryan Day if you can. What if you get one of them and then try to lure Gattis as a full-time coordinator (only a co-OC at Bama), assistant head coach, which might bump up to higher salary than what he currently has at Alabama.

I like the idea of hiring a successful, offensive-minded G5 coach and round out the staff with recruiters.

Here is a suggestion-

I think we need an offensive-minded coach who already has experience. Neal Brown of Troy and Satterfield at App State come to mind. Heck, bring in Moorehead or Ryan Day if you can. What if you get one of them and then try to lure Gattis as a full-time coordinator (only a co-OC at Bama), assistant head coach, which might bump up to higher salary than what he currently has at Alabama.

I like the idea of hiring a successful, offensive-minded G5 coach and round out the staff with recruiters.

We pay Watson and Bates with food stamps, unless a real commitment is made, then pipe dream, but like the way you think

Miss ST isn't really a better job anyhow other than they might pay more. Its not a easy place to win. Sure its easier to recruit more than likely but you have a tougher conference. They hired Moorhead who wasn't exactly a huge name. He was basically PN on offense with a couple of years at a very low level as HC.
Pitt can hire most OC or DC. We aren't rutgers, Indiana or illinois yet. The real question is Can Pitt hire a hot young coach at a program like toledo,central MI etc etc. Basically those guys are close tois landing a TN or UNC level job which is likely a step up from where Pitt is now. After Walt I think we could have had someone at that level. I think the program really took a huge hit after DW and the whole coaching fiasco.

Screw those MAC coaches. The Row the Boat guy sucks at Minnesota. I want a recruiter, period! Best recruiter available!

Mississippi St is leaps and bounds a better job than Pitt right now. Everyone outside of Pitt fans realize this.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Screw those MAC coaches. The Row the Boat guy sucks at Minnesota. I want a recruiter, period! Best recruiter available!

Fleck is a boob. The guy he replaced was infinitely a better coach than him, too bad for Minnesota he had his medical issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT