ADVERTISEMENT

If a linebacker is being offered $650K, what payouts are floated for five-star quarterbacks?

RaleighPittFan

Assistant Coach
May 12, 2005
Dennis Dodd article about schools / boosters paying players.

The article doesn't surprise me that it happens, but I am surprised at the amounts.

"And there is reason to believe $650,000 is close to the truth. I checked with the story's author, Steven Godfrey, and he said confirmed the figure wasn't a typo on his part or the person transcribing the testimony.

The father of former Texas A&M wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones said he was offered $600,000 for the services of his son. That shocking information came from the fine reporting by authors Armen Keteyian and Jeff Benedict in their 2013 book "The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big Time Football." One SEC and one ACC school, the father said, offered to double the offer the other school made for Seals-Jones.

While Auburn and Cam Newton were never found guilty of any wrongdoing, the number thrown around to get the services of young Cam was $180,000.

Think back to the Logan Young/Albert Means scandal at Alabama. Young was possibly the only booster to commit a federal crime in trying to land a recruit. The late Alabama loyalist allegedly paid $150,000 for the services of Memphis blue-chip lineman Albert Means. Young was convicted of money laundering and racketeering. He was permanently disassociated from the program by Alabama and died in 2006.

I made some calls to see if $650,000 was even possible in this day and age. I was told that was absolutely the case by a former college assistant who went into detail.

Today, he said, the offers can include a possible redshirt year in case the player is injured. So, now we're supposedly talking about an annual "salary" of $130,000 for five years. That works out to a monthly stipend of almost $11,000."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ger-question-is-cheating-really-this-rampant/

I think it's obvious this happens highly frequently. Just the amounts may not be as much as the prospects scale downward.

It's obvious Pitt both can't and won't do it. Not to remotely near that degree.

Clearly this is what all the schools want to allow, though, including Pitt. All the schools that make up the NCAA, and the NCAA does nothing about this. It is sort of like complaints about Roger Goodell in the NFL. The owners clearly must approve of what he's doing. Likewise, the NCAA and the member schools.

We should do what the other schools do , if we won't , then we should jump down in div. Play by the rules everyone else plays by period. This Pitt is too above board is crap!

We should do what the other schools do , if we won't , then we should jump down in div. Play by the rules everyone else plays by period. This Pitt is too above board is crap!

I saw first hand that Pitt gave "gifts" to players in the 90's. It definately didn't rival what Alabama and thr SEC gives to their targets. I sure hope Pitt has bigger pockets now, but who knows.

You rich people out there, time to open your wallets. I may have the pockets to lure a 2nd team long snapper, but that is about it.

Programs at the Division 2 and 3 level do this as well. Paying players for doing "supposed jobs" is also common place.

They were in high school getting these "gifts", they were not enrolled at Pitt. They should have been able to give more imo, but the 90's were hell.

I don't believe $650K. That's almost NFL money.

People blew it off when I posted earlier in the week that I'd love to know what Washington & Rudolph got paid to come back to OSU because it's "not NFL Money". I guarantee they didn't come back because they were worried about all the doors a degree from OSU will open for them, that's for sure.

I know a guy who works at Morton's steakhouse down town and Brandin Knight used to have envelopes he'd give to prized recruits. Not sure the $ amount in them though.

I know a guy who works at Morton's steakhouse down town and Brandin Knight used to have envelopes he'd give to prized recruits. Not sure the $ amount in them though.

Well recruits on official visits are allowed by the NCAA to be provided spending money which we disburse in envelopes. It's like $80. If we were really paying kids it wouldn't be an assistant coach doing it at Mortons in front of your friend.

Last edited:
You don't buy the players, you buy the family and those who influence the decision (always through 3rd party) Then, you take care of the player when you get him on campus. ...access to cars, clothes events, & spending cash. It's all about boosters and networking. The city of Pittsburgh should has to become an advantage. If these guys are getting a good take, they don't give a flip how many people they play in front of on 7 Saturdays throughout the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT