ADVERTISEMENT

If the B1G was smart....

BVGPitt

Scholarship
Dec 21, 2001
The only competition to the B1G is the SEC...so go rouge. Gobble up the best of the Pac 12, Big 12, ACC, and others. Create a new college football regime.
Divest from the NCAA for football only. It will be anarchy. If one gets up ...we all get up! But seriously it will become a two division game like the NFL if the SEC and BIG continue to dominate and that will force a bigger non power conferences anyway.

And that will be boring and as bad as the MLB.

So by striking first with a conference of at least 40-50 teams not the SEC teams the BIG would win the overall fight! And in all winning is all that counts in the end.

Just a stupid thought lol.

The only competition to the B1G is the SEC...so go rouge. Gobble up the best of the Pac 12, Big 12, ACC, and others. Create a new college football regime.
Divest from the NCAA for football only. It will be anarchy. If one gets up ...we all get up! But seriously it will become a two division game like the NFL if the SEC and BIG continue to dominate and that will force a bigger non power conferences anyway.

So by striking first with a conference of at least 40-50 teams not the SEC teams the BIG would win the overall fight! And in all winning is all that counts in the end.

So, here is the problem as I see it. The B1G and SEC should be looking at each other and the rest of the P5 as complimentary pieces, not competitors. It is silly to think that fans of other schools that are on the outside looking in would just switch allegiance and interests over to a B1G or SEC school.

If the P5 schools were smart, they would work together to find a way to grow the pie instead of just trying to take their piece. Just taking their piece will end up limiting revenue growth streams in the long run.

So, here is the problem as I see it. The B1G and SEC should be looking at each other and the rest of the P5 as complimentary pieces, not competitors. It is silly to think that fans of other schools that are on the outside looking in would just switch allegiance and interests over to a B1G or SEC school.

If the P5 schools were smart, they would work together to find a way to grow the pie instead of just trying to take their piece. Just taking their piece will end up limiting revenue growth streams in the long run.
Greed. Power. Desire for total domination. Those seem to be some of the primary motivating reasons for the SEC and the B1G. And those desires don’t set the stage for good cooperation.

But regardless of that since CFB is not one unified entity like the professional leagues, still believe there is a need for more than two conferences. The various TV networks televising college football need inventory, and they want their product to be viable and comparable to attract viewers. There is still a LOT of regional interest when it comes to CFB.

Still believe much of the recent stuff about the ACC has been somewhat exaggerated. There is a certain element of Big 12 supporters in the Twitter, blogging and podcast world out there who continue to try to undermine other conferences like the Pac12 and ACC. Their fans eat it up and spread around. They tried with the rumors of the imminent disintegration of the Pac 12 with members allegedly begging to join the Big 12. Never happened. Now with the ACC. Think with the Big 12 a lot of it has to do with the attitude that “misery loves company”.

We’ll see where it all ultimately goes. That might be a long way off? Or not? Who knows? But adding mouths to feed and pay as additional conference members requires a guaranteed commensurate increase in revenue. Think the SEC and B1G are scrutinizing that.

Hard for me to believe that there are very many - if any - schools that can provide assurances of bringing the kind of revenue jump necessary. Maybe ND? But it is extremely difficult to predict when, where, or if, that may happen.

But get used to this type of drama. The bloggers and fanboys who call themselves experts thrive on this type of rumormongering and sensationalism. It’s gonna continue to happen whether there is currently any real substance to it or not. They make their off-season livelihoods off of it. But as always: Caveat Lector. 😉

Last edited:
Greed. Power. Desire for total domination. Those seem to be some of the primary motivating reasons for the SEC and the B1G. And those desires don’t set the stage for good cooperation.

But regardless of that since CFB is not one unified entity like the professional leagues, still believe there is a need for more than two conferences. The various TV networks televising college football need inventory, and they want their product to be viable and comparable to attract viewers. There is still a LOT of regional interest when it comes to CFB.

Still believe much of the recent stuff about the ACC has been somewhat exaggerated. There is a certain element of Big 12 supporters in the Twitter, blogging and podcast world out there who continue to try to undermine other conferences like the Pac12 and ACC. Their fans eat it up and spread around. They tried with the rumors of the imminent disintegration of the Pac 12 with members allegedly begging to join the Big 12. Never happened. Now with the ACC. Think with the Big 12 a lot of it has to do with the attitude that “misery loves company”.

We’ll see where it all ultimately goes. That might be a long way off? Or not? Who knows? But adding mouths to feed and pay as additional conference members requires a guaranteed commensurate increase in revenue. Think the SEC and B1G are scrutinizing that.

Hard for me to believe that there are very many - if any - schools that can provide assurances of bringing the kind of revenue jump necessary. Maybe ND? But it is extremely difficult to predict when, where, or if, that may happen.

But get used to this type of drama. The bloggers and fanboys who call themselves experts thrive on this type of rumormongering and sensationalism. It’s gonna continue to happen whether there is currently any real substance to it or not. They make their off-season livelihoods off of it. But as always: Caveat Lector. 😉
Here, here

I’ve said before, I don’t think anything happens until the Big 10 media rights go to the market again.

Until then, it’s just well poisoning and jabbing to set up future moves.

Anybody thinking we were going to wake up on Tuesday and the ACC be disbanded, was being delusional.

Yeah, the TV people need content. Not sure why that's so hard for everyone to understand.

So far as the Big12 shrills, they want chaos because it's the only life rope they can hope for. Their conference is all dead space without any really good TV markets. They want the ACC to fall apart because the hope is they can extend the media footprint eastward. As it stands, their weird little conference will just keep losing ground.

Yeah, the TV people need content. Not sure why that's so hard for everyone to understand.

So far as the Big12 shrills, they want chaos because it's the only life rope they can hope for. Their conference is all dead space without any really good TV markets. They want the ACC to fall apart because the hope is they can extend the media footprint eastward. As it stands, their weird little conference will just keep losing ground.
Agree completely. The BigXII’s dream is the scattering of the ACC’s programs.

Guys like McMurphy are constantly Tweeting about it.

McMurphy is an OK State grad and does the “Inside OSU Podcast”. He’s about as objective a source in all this realignment rumormongering as Pravda in Russia is about Ukraine. 😏 Of course the hoopies and hoopie sympathizers think he’s great! 🤷‍♂️

McMurphy is an OK State grad and does the “Inside OSU Podcast”. He’s about as objective a source in all this realignment rumormongering as Pravda in Russia is about Ukraine. 😏 Of course the hoopies and hoopie sympathizers think he’s great! 🤷‍♂️
The Big12 folks not rooting for Texas or OU have been in a constant state of panic since the Big12 was formed. There has always been a problem for everyone else in that mess and the smart ones all bolted long, long ago. At least they had the two anchor schools. They've really had to grab whatever nobody else wanted time and time again to stay viable. Now they're hoping for chaos so they can grab some more scraps. It's the weirdest flex imaginable.

I'm surprised the SEC isn't pursuing Rutgers so that they can get that lucrative New York City market.
Good point. If market is everything then the SEC should go after them right now. The Big Ten would be glad to get rid of them…

I’ve said before, I don’t think anything happens until the Big 10 media rights go to the market again.

Until then, it’s just well poisoning and jabbing to set up future moves.

Anybody thinking we were going to wake up on Tuesday and the ACC be disbanded, was being delusional.
I as I noted in another thread, the trolls have mysteriously disappeared. Only the mentally challenged would believe teams were going to vote to disband a conference with nowhere to go.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

McMurphy is an OK St grad? Finally it all makes sense. He is by far the most Big 12 friendly national "reporter." He isnt as bad as the gang of B12 fake news internet guys, but he's only one step above. I have always said though that the Big 12 is very very good at fake news. Very good.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
This ACC Draft was funny.
FwNSdv_aAAAa8Fu

Spot on Dan77 - that's why I was pushing the ACC to go after Houston and TCU. Those are the only two TV markets in that conference that's worth anything.

This ACC Draft was funny.
FwNSdv_aAAAa8Fu
Funny concept for sure. But more like depressing than amusing for the likes of our fans. Because for us the fate is not unrealistic.

It’s sad that Pitt’s best if not only hope is to fight to keep a doomed conference together as long as it’s (rather crappy) contract goes, because as crappy as it may be, the prospects for us in a free for all conference “draft” apparently stink.

It’s rather angering because Pitt has excellent credentials, academics, national sports brand, history, etc…Pitt also has earnestly committed to improvement on the field (and finally, on the court) and we should be in the mix. At least as much as some gibrones like NCSt and VT.

We also have more eyeballs on us nationally than we get credit for, due to unfortunate reasons (lousy economy, bad government etc) …Pittsburghers and Pitt alum are very widespread (it shows most during road Steelers games but we have our pockets everywhere as well).

Plus we have the fans of not one but two arch rivals, one a behemoth, that watch out games religiously hoping we lose! Nobody else in particular has that same anti-passion going (?) for us.

This is where PSU can legitimately celebrate screwing us over, because we belong in the Big Ten (going back to the 1930s but most recently in the last big upheaval). The ghosts of our old foolish chancellors that demolished our football program (multiple times) plus Paterno are laughing in their respective places in the afterworld now.

• Haha
Reactions: HTownSteeler
Other than what we the fan base belives about where Pitt stands with the Big and SEC, is there like some proof that those conferences perfer these othet teams instead? I thought it was said years ago that the Big wanted Pitt. Im asking because all this doom and gloom that Pitt is some hapless school compared to the ofher teams in the ACC.

Other than what we the fan base belives about where Pitt stands with the Big and SEC, is there like some proof that those conferences perfer these othet teams instead? I thought it was said years ago that the Big wanted Pitt. Im asking because all this doom and gloom that Pitt is some hapless school compared to the ofher teams in the ACC.
Good point....its not like everyone is clamoring to watch Louisville, Wake Forest, VT, Virginia, NC State, Duke, or UNC. Even Clemson is not a home run in terms of TV viewership. I think FSU and to a much lesser extent Miami create value for the SEC or BIG. IF the SEC wanted to expand north and into the northeastern TV markets (which they do not), the only viable teams would be PITT, Boston College, and Syracuse.

BIG use to have an academic requirement. I forget what it is called exactly, but the school needed an accreditation, which Pitt did have.

Go Red??? I don't get it.

That’s the same thing I wrote in the post above, Pitt can put up solid credentials as nearly everyone else, but it seems the old school thinking is always that “markets” and these hazy “markets” alone, drive everything. Because there happens to be a percentage of WPA that follow PSU, the assumption is that nobody in this region follows Pitt (which is patently absurd), then as an extension, nobody anywhere else does either. Also absurd. Pitt is a national sports brand. Not a Michigan or ND level but certainly an average level below that, at least as much as the likes of a NCst or VT.

Pitt’s been its own enemy in many ways in almost encouraging this minimizing perception, not wanting to be known as a “football school” etc. Our subpar football crowds (due much to Pitt’s minimization) also give the ammunition to our local detractors that we are marginally relevant. But face it, most of these who drive the noise are not objective. They are PSU grads, WVU grads, Syracuse grads, everything but Pitt grads.

However it gives the impression that Pitt is a minority in this market. As Paco and others note frequently we certainly are not.

Last edited:
It's self loathing yinzerism, especially when you start throwing the Virginia schools and NC St out there like some kind of "in" group.

So Nebraska does not have AAU status for the BIG, so maybe irrelevant, but not a handful of schools to choose from left. Stanford, Oregon, UNC, Duke, Virginia, Pitt, GT, Arizona, Kansas, etc. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities
Nebraska was part of the AAU when they joined the Big Ten. Something about how most of their research dollars are in agricultural stuff that stopped counting towards AAU status, or something or other. Minor point, though.

Spot on Dan77 - that's why I was pushing the ACC to go after Houston and TCU. Those are the only two TV markets in that conference that's worth anything.
ESPN is hinting of moving everything to a subscriber platform eventually so i don't think "TV markets" are necessarily what matters as much as potential internet engagement. Both of those schools have adequate accessibility in their footprint but I don't know how ESPN would view them.

ESPN is hinting of moving everything to a subscriber platform eventually so i don't think "TV markets" are necessarily what matters as much as potential internet engagement. Both of those schools have adequate accessibility in their footprint but I don't know how ESPN would view them.
They are somewhat of a subscriber platform now...it's just embedded into your cable or streaming provider package. If they are hinting at moving to their own independent subscriber platform - that may cost them tons of money.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
They are somewhat of a subscriber platform now...it's just embedded into your cable or streaming provider package. If they are hinting at moving to their own independent subscriber platform - that may cost them tons of money.
Yes...but it will be interesting to see what Disney does with ESPN and HULU moving forward. It is not the cash cow it used to be.

Yes...but it will be interesting to see what Disney does with ESPN and HULU moving forward. It is not the cash cow it used to be.
The model they're shifting to will tie this to your wireless provider. Cable sucks because it's very expensive to maintain. Fiber is a pain to maintain plus you need an army of techs to service the system. Even the satellite dishes are likely to go away. You'll eventually get your internet via a cell tower, or something very similar. It's how a lot of people in rural areas get their internet, now.

Moving to a subscriber model that's tied to your wireless isn't really going to be that big of a jump from the model they have now other than they get to do things like targeted advertising which they can charge more for. Instead of Bojangles commercials, you'd get Willie's Chicken on the Hill or whatever the local equivalent is for you.

Nebraska was part of the AAU when they joined the Big Ten. Something about how most of their research dollars are in agricultural stuff that stopped counting towards AAU status, or something or other. Minor point, though.

What shows how minor a point it was is that at the time the Big Ten admitted Nebraska it was supposedly a couple of Big Ten schools who were part of the group that got Nebraska expelled from the AAU because they didn't meet the requirements.

Shows you how much being a part of the AAU means to the Big Ten.

The Big Ten athletic conference has been all about what can make them the most money. For at least several decades now.

Anyone here remember “Baghdad Bob”?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT