ADVERTISEMENT

If this game was in Pittsburgh or on TV Walt would have been fired the next day

I actually think Wanny's defense was pretty good against the spread. We had decent success against WVU and USF on the defensive end. Cinci too except in the Mardy Gilyadd game. We actually didn't do quite as well against teams like Uconn and Rutgers that would push around our small/athletic defensive lines with power running. His bigger problems were at the quarterback position and player discipline, not defense, IMHO.

I actually think Wanny's defense was pretty good against the spread. We had decent success against WVU and USF on the defensive end. Cinci too except in the Mardy Gilyadd game. We actually didn't do quite as well against teams like Uconn and Rutgers that would push around our small/athletic defensive lines with power running. His bigger problems were at the quarterback position and player discipline, not defense, IMHO.
Other than getting 52’d a couple times, you mean

Other than getting 52’d a couple times, you mean

I think team gave up more than 50 one time in 6 six years, against pro-style Rutgers. Not sure what that does or doesn't mean.

In terms of points per game given up over the six years:
- 30 of 119
- 14 of 119
- 92 of 120
- 51 of 120
- 21 of 120
- 15 of 120

Overall, definitely better than we've seen since on defense.

It obviously varied year to year but in 2007 we were #5 in the nation defensively in yardage and stopped #2 in the country WVU's speedy spread offense (but ended up 5-7 because our QB was Pat Bostick.) I can't even imagine this team coming near the top 5 in defensive yardage nationally.

It's just sort of my pet peeve of how fans have different standards based on their feelings on a coach or even which athletic director hired a coach. You used to complain about "outside linebackers covering slot receivers" under wanny -- now you complain when we have safeties covering them under Narduzzi. Well someone has to cover the damn guys. Did you complain about the defense under Chryst? Possibly not because you liked him better; I don't remember everything so maybe I'm wrong there.

I think team gave up more than 50 one time in 6 six years, against pro-style Rutgers. Not sure what that does or doesn't mean.

- 30 of 119
- 14 of 119
- 92 of 120
- 51 of 120
- 21 of 120
- 15 of 120

It obviously varied year to year but in 2007 we were #5 in the nation defensively in yardage and stopped #2 in the country WVU's speedy spread offense (but ended up 5-7 because our QB was Pat Bostick.) I can't even imagine this team coming near the top 5 in defensive yardage nationally.

It's just sort of my pet peeve of how fans have different standards based on their feelings on a coach or even which athletic director hired a coach. You used to complain about "outside linebackers covering slot receivers" under wanny -- now you complain when we have safeties covering them under Narduzzi. Well someone has to cover the damn guys. Did you complain about the defense under Chryst? Possibly not because you liked him better; I don't remember everything so maybe I'm wrong there.
I stand corrected
He gave up 45 points in back to back years.

- 30 of 119
- 14 of 119
- 92 of 120
- 51 of 120
- 21 of 120
- 15 of 120

Of course Pitt had better stats then. We played in a watered down Big East and out recruited all of those schools. Yet, managed 5-7 during the year in question.

I stand corrected
He gave up 45 points in back to back years.
48 to navy in ‘07, granted in double OT but still. It was a good navy offense but that was one of the most maddening defeats of the wanny era. Forget our all-world running back who’s chewing up defenders and spitting them out, let’s run a fade on 4th and goal from the 1.

Same experience as many others. Was at some gathering playing cards, but made sure i had radio on since I wanted to hear our top 10 team. Incredible disappointment

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT