ADVERTISEMENT

Imagining what an ACC/Big 12 merger could look like

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
If and when the ACC gets poached, I've said that it'd be smart for us to consider a merger with the Big 12. By creating strength in numbers, it'd be impossible for the major networks to ignore. In the process, it'd ensure our financial stability since we'd likely be able to fetch a deal similar to what we're currently making. It'd also guarantee no one gets left behind like what happened to the Pac-12.

With that in mind, here's what a 32-team conference could look like between what's left of the ACC and Big 12, plus Oregon State/Washington State and UConn.

EASTERN DIVISION

American Pod:
Cinci, Houston, SMU, UCF
Atlantic Pod: Duke, Ga Tech, NC St, Wake Forest
Coastal Pod: Boston College, UConn, UVA, Va Tech
Northeast Pod: L'Ville, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU

WESTERN DIVISON

Central Pod:
Colorado, Iowa St, KU, K-State
Mountain Pod: Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Utah
Pacific Pod: Cal, Oregon St, Stanford, Wazzu
Southwest Pod: Baylor, OK State, TCU, Texas Tech

My rationale was to preserve as many traditional rivalries as possible while placing a priority on prior conference history. The American Pod is the weirdest one, but it makes sense since all four were in the AAC together.

As far as scheduling, you could play everyone in your pod and then two teams from every other pod in your division. Finally, each team would play one game from the other division based on the previous season's standings. For Pitt, our conference schedule would look something like this:
  • L'Ville, Syracuse, WVU (Pod Games); UVA, Va Tech, Duke, NC St, Cinci, UCF (Division Games); Stanford (Interdivision Game)
Conference championship game would be the highest ranked teams from the Eastern and Western Divisions. For 2023, that'd mean #14 Arizona vs #15 Louisville. In my opinion, this would be the best possible way to preserve the traditions and regionality that makes college football great. Now, I need to figure out how to become one of those consultants that get paid for proposing these ideas that'll never happen... :oops:

Unfortunately it’s only every man for themselves. Plus I think some teams like nc state and uva will be in the power 2.

The big xii will take the best remaining brands that make sense to them and everyone else will be left behind.

Unfortunately it’s only every man for themselves. Plus I think some teams like nc state and uva will be in the power 2.

The big xii will take the best remaining brands that make sense to them and everyone else will be left behind.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. We've seen first hand that no consideration is given to fairness in realignment.

WVU has ZERO interest in aligning itself with Syracuse. Zero. They wouldn’t be invited. Northeast schools will return to the Big East.

Pitt? Fine. Louisville? Fine

WVU has ZERO interest in aligning itself with Syracuse. Zero. They wouldn’t be invited. Northeast schools will return to the Big East.

Pitt? Fine. Louisville? Fine
Does WVU wield enough power to block them? Genuinely curious because I could see the Big 12 executives being interested in the ACC’s basketball schools.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Does WVU wield enough power to block them? Genuinely curious because I could see the Big 12 executives being interested in the ACC’s basketball schools.

Of course they don't. If/when the two conferences come together if the Hoopies stand up and say they don't think Syracuse should be in the conference it wouldn't be surprising if someone pointed out to them that there's probably a better chance of them getting left out than Syracuse.

I think the next contract for the football playoff would play into how things could shake out if the ACC collapsed. If the playoff shifted towards a model like the NCAA basketball tournament where payouts are based on how many teams from each conference make it and how far they advance, I don't see a need for some schools to move to the Big 12.

I could see Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forrest and maybe Duke and NC State move to the Big East to create easier access to the football playoff and creating one of the best basketball conferences.

If and when the ACC gets poached, I've said that it'd be smart for us to consider a merger with the Big 12. By creating strength in numbers, it'd be impossible for the major networks to ignore. In the process, it'd ensure our financial stability since we'd likely be able to fetch a deal similar to what we're currently making. It'd also guarantee no one gets left behind like what happened to the Pac-12.

With that in mind, here's what a 32-team conference could look like between what's left of the ACC and Big 12, plus Oregon State/Washington State and UConn.

EASTERN DIVISION

American Pod:
Cinci, Houston, SMU, UCF
Atlantic Pod: Duke, Ga Tech, NC St, Wake Forest
Coastal Pod: Boston College, UConn, UVA, Va Tech
Northeast Pod: L'Ville, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU

WESTERN DIVISON

Central Pod:
Colorado, Iowa St, KU, K-State
Mountain Pod: Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Utah
Pacific Pod: Cal, Oregon St, Stanford, Wazzu
Southwest Pod: Baylor, OK State, TCU, Texas Tech

My rationale was to preserve as many traditional rivalries as possible while placing a priority on prior conference history. The American Pod is the weirdest one, but it makes sense since all four were in the AAC together.

As far as scheduling, you could play everyone in your pod and then two teams from every other pod in your division. Finally, each team would play one game from the other division based on the previous season's standings. For Pitt, our conference schedule would look something like this:
  • L'Ville, Syracuse, WVU (Pod Games); UVA, Va Tech, Duke, NC St, Cinci, UCF (Division Games); Stanford (Interdivision Game)
Conference championship game would be the highest ranked teams from the Eastern and Western Divisions. For 2023, that'd mean #14 Arizona vs #15 Louisville. In my opinion, this would be the best possible way to preserve the traditions and regionality that makes college football great. Now, I need to figure out how to become one of those consultants that get paid for proposing these ideas that'll never happen... :oops:

I am contractually obligated to reply. They need to form a new league to cut out all the trash:

East
Pitt
WVU
Syr
Lou
Cincy
UConn (need them for hoops)
VT
NC ST
Duke (need them for hoops)
GT
UCF

West
Kansas
OK St
TT
TCU
SMU
Houston
Arizona or Arizona State
Utah
San Diego State
Cal
Stanford

No BC, Wake, Iowa State, Duplicate Kansas, Duplicate Utah, Duplicate Arizona. I do have duplicate Bay Area and DFW teams because those populations are so big they warrant 2 teams to generate more interest.

Reactions: js2814
Of course they don't. If/when the two conferences come together if the Hoopies stand up and say they don't think Syracuse should be in the conference it wouldn't be surprising if someone pointed out to them that there's probably a better chance of them getting left out than Syracuse.
Yes. I can see this. "Hey, let's add Syracuse." Wait..................... "We don't want to lose the lucrative Huntingdon WV market!!!"

There will be two lesser conferences relative to the Power 2.

No need for the XII to expand and if they do then it’ll stop at 20. I would prefer four pods of 5 teams (something like WVU, UCF, Cincy, Louisville and Tech). Play each of those teams twice, 3 other XII teams and the Backyard Brawl…that would make 12 games.

College football inevitably will increase the number of games from 12 to 13-14 prior to the CFP. NFL is about to move to 18. College will increase as well. Money too great.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
There will be two lesser conferences relative to the Power 2.

I think that's almost certainly where this is headed. Unless the SEC and the Big Ten go to something like 30 or 32 teams, there are still going to be enough of the "leftovers" for two second tier conferences. And I don't think the SEC and the Big Ten are going to end up anywhere near 30 or 32, unless the television networks take up the cause of the super league concept that has been bandied about recently.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT