ADVERTISEMENT

In a game with very little to pick at

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
1 - On the play he fumbled. Pickett should have continued to move toward the sideline and gotten down sooner

2 - I feel for Dane Jackson. Refs let VT receiver push off to create separation. Every time Jackson tried to hold on to defeat that or attempted to hand fight the receiver, he was called for a penalty. The 2 point conversion was ridiculous.

1 - On the play he fumbled. Pickett should have continued to move toward the sideline and gotten down sooner

2 - I feel for Dane Jackson. Refs let VT receiver push off to create separation. Every time Jackson tried to hold on to defeat that or attempted to hand fight the receiver, he was called for a penalty. The 2 point conversion was ridiculous.
One nag I have. By my observation they put V'lique Carter in for exactly one play?Granted, i thought it worked tremendously well because VT thought he'd get the ball and Hall broke off a huge run. But for one play, takes away one more of the 4 game cushion for redshirting. Not a major or even a minor quibble but I thought it short sighted nonetheless.

I am also concerned that when Kessman does not put the ball in the end zone, the kickoff coverage has not been very good.

One nag I have. By my observation they put V'lique Carter in for exactly one play?Granted, i thought it worked tremendously well because VT thought he'd get the ball and Hall broke off a huge run. But for one play, takes away one more of the 4 game cushion for redshirting. Not a major or even a minor quibble but I thought it short sighted nonetheless.
He went in to the locker room right after that play. He came back to the sideline before the end of the half. Don’t know what happened there.

I am also concerned that when Kessman does not put the ball in the end zone, the kickoff coverage has not been very good.

Regarding Dane Jackson, maybe the flip into the end zone by Ollison on the 97 yard TD was let go as a makeup for some of that stuff? They could have taken the TD away and assessed a 15-yard penalty according to the TV announcers.

Regarding Dane Jackson, maybe the flip into the end zone by Ollison on the 97 yard TD was let go as a makeup for some of that stuff? They could have taken the TD away and assessed a 15-yard penalty according to the TV announcers.
Ware was really good, but I was disappointed in his diatribe over that.
He didn't initiate the flip until after the ball crossed the goal line.
No reason to bemoan the refs not pulling a jerk move like that.

It was comical because they were blowing the out, but that was some Ravens circa early 2010s when flacco would throw up a balloon ball, his receivers would flat out push off to try to make the catch and the league let the refs call PI on the defense when they could not make the catch.

Ware was really good, but I was disappointed in his diatribe over that.
He didn't initiate the flip until after the ball crossed the goal line.
No reason to bemoan the refs not pulling a jerk move like that.

good point, and that is the correct interpretation I believe. This happened in the Wanny years. A WR, can't remember his name, had a clear shot into the end zone. No one near him. And he did an unnecessary dive for the last three yards into the end zone. Refs called a spot unsportsman conduct foul and disallowed the TD. So if Q did that flip from the 3 yard line into the end zone the announcer would have been justified.

I hate nitpicking after the win, only comment is that Pinnock made a poor attempt at a tackle on the on VT TD. And Jackson had some problems, but it is ridiculous that the refs continually let VT/Fuentes get away with the WR pushing every time. Every year, they never call it. VT may be my least favorite ACC team.

It was comical because they were blowing the out, but that was some Ravens circa early 2010s when flacco would throw up a balloon ball, his receivers would flat out push off to try to make the catch and the league let the refs call PI on the defense when they could not make the catch.
VT was merely following the model they used here two years ago. And it worked extremely well for them then. All those undeserved PIs are the biggest reasons why we lost that game. They should have tried it more times last night.

VT was merely following the model they used here two years ago. And it worked extremely well for them then. All those undeserved PIs are the biggest reasons why we lost that game. They should have tried it more times last night.

I was thinking the same thing. Surprised they didn't try more. Ridiculous the refs never call offensive PI on VT.

Good point. By the way, was that really Ollison on kickoff coverage late in the game or someone else wearing 30. I assumed it was the latter, but the way the announcers were getting excited about it I thought maybe it actually was him.

Good point. By the way, was that really Ollison on kickoff coverage late in the game or someone else wearing 30. I assumed it was the latter, but the way the announcers were getting excited about it I thought maybe it actually was him.

I think that was Pitt's lone punt and from the stadium replay it looked like Ollison

Since we are allowed to nic-pick, it is time for Pickett to stop fumbling the ball, he has great running backs to break for extra yardage, get what you can and leave the hero moves to them. Pinnock's whiff was duly noted and time will tell if he is soft. Jackson needs to find a way to drive through the receivers hands when the tall receivers come down to tap in. If the rules say you can't somersault into the endzone then the refs should call it no matter the game circumstances, end of story, fans that don't like events without somersaults can go to the circus.

That was Ollison. He has been on kickoff coverage all season. George is too.

Reactions: WiseAndGlorious
The Post Gazette noted that Carter did NOT play yesterday and that he still has two more games to play prior to burning his RS.

I thought Carter got 1 carry. On the play Hall went for that TD, VT was totally keying on Carter. You could see the players talking to each other and making them aware that Carter was in.

Carter should sit the next 2, play in the ACC Championship, sit the bowl game exhibition and be a freshman next year.

Does VT have another passing play besides the fade? My goodness

I thought Carter got 1 carry. On the play Hall went for that TD, VT was totally keying on Carter. You could see the players talking to each other and making them aware that Carter was in.

Carter should sit the next 2, play in the ACC Championship, sit the bowl game exhibition and be a freshman next year.

Does VT have another passing play besides the fade? My goodness
See the NOTES section:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ech-football-acc-coastal/stories/201811110164

It should be noted however that I don't think the list on the web site is the official list as reported to the NCAA. It is possible that he was listed in error and it would be corrected on the official report.

I'm not saying that IS what happened, merely that it is POSSIBLE.

Reactions: FireballZ

I watched the replay again and if they wanted to be sticklers they could have called it. Q started his flip at about the 1/2 yard line. so technically he wasn't in the end-zone yet, similar to what I posted above about the Pitt receiver who had a TD called back for an unnecessary end-zone dive. So yeah, maybe it was a make up for the missed PI penalties all night.

I thought the fumble was just one of those fluke things that comes from trying to make a play. Helmet on the elbow. I had the same thoughts as you at first but I think that one is forgivable. The fact that VaTech turned around and marched down to score right after was more alarming. Potential 14 point swing there.

The PI penalty on the conversion was garbage. There have been a lot of bad PI calls against Pitt this year. I'll take a "glass half full" approach and say that at least the DB's are in position to make a play. Pitt hasn't had that in a couple of years.

The Post Gazette noted that Carter did NOT play yesterday and that he still has two more games to play prior to burning his RS.
Interesting. Then we pulled a fast one (pun intended) because Carter definitely went into the game on the play of Halls first big run (wearing #19 again). If they somehow snuck him back off and someone else on before they lined up, thus it didn't count as a play, kudos to them... but we all honed in on his entry to the field at the time, and (by design as it turned out) no doubt VT did too.

I thought the fumble was just one of those fluke things that comes from trying to make a play. Helmet on the elbow. I had the same thoughts as you at first but I think that one is forgivable. The fact that VaTech turned around and marched down to score right after was more alarming. Potential 14 point swing there.

The PI penalty on the conversion was garbage. There have been a lot of bad PI calls against Pitt this year. I'll take a "glass half full" approach and say that at least the DB's are in position to make a play. Pitt hasn't had that in a couple of years.
On the Pickett fumble, I really was not criticizing the result of a fumble. I was expressing my view that Pickett needs to be a "little" less fearless. He is an important element of the team I do not want to lose to injury.

On the Pickett fumble, I really was not criticizing the result of a fumble. I was expressing my view that Pickett needs to be a "little" less fearless. He is an important element of the team I do not want to lose to injury.

That's a good argument but these guys are playing with a "do or die" mentality to make the championship. If that was later in the game, I'd agree. At that point, they were trying to step on VaTech's neck and put the game away.

3. Narduzzi calling for a squib kick with 30 seconds to go in the half and VT with 3 timeouts setting them up on somewhere near their 40 ..wtf?.

That's a good argument but these guys are playing with a "do or die" mentality to make the championship. If that was later in the game, I'd agree. At that point, they were trying to step on VaTech's neck and put the game away.

True, but put two hands on the ball, for some reason I think he did this earlier in the season, it's time he takes big hits and still holds onto the ball when he becomes a runner, IMO.

3. Narduzzi calling for a squib kick with 30 seconds to go in the half and VT with 3 timeouts setting them up on somewhere near their 40 ..wtf?.

Didn’t mind the squib kick, but Kessman just didn’t hit it hard enough — looked more like an on-side kick that he hit a bit too hard...

Gotta love the fact that KP can run — adds such a weapon to the offense...

Go Pitt!

Actually my biggest concern coming out at of VaTech was the poor kick off coverage. Giving the bad guys good field position to start is never a good thing. Hail to Pitt!

Dane Jackson had a tough day. Kumah got away with push offs but I’d expect teams to test him the rest of the way.

Also, the continued wasting of timeouts in the first half was frustrating. Didn’t matter in a blowout but in a tight game, with our ground and pound offense they will need those.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT