ADVERTISEMENT

Information on ACCN and Comcast

TheSpecialSauce

Chancellor
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2019
ACC commissioner Phillips said “tremendous progress” is being made with Comcast and seemed optimistic about getting a deal done with the Philadelphia-based cable company.

“It’s one of the top priorities I have,” Phillips said of a potential Comcast deal. He added that he’s been to Bristol, Connecticut to speak with ESPN executives Jimmy Pitaro and Burke Magnus about the matter.

Currently, the ACC Network – which is entering its third season of broadcasting college football – is available on the following cable, satellite and streaming services: AT&T, Cox, DIRECTV, Dish, fuboTV, Hulu, Optimum, Sling TV, Spectrum, Suddenlink, TVision, Verizon Fios, Vidgo and YouTube TV.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
"tremendous progress"? Does that mean by September? 2021? Or like June of 2024??
Should be September of 2021. From the day of the launch in 2019, all projections, included Comcast starting in fall of 2021 as that is when the overall Disney Contract with Comcast would be renewed.

Comcast typically doesn't add bolt on channels after the main contract is negotiated. That is why they didn't carry the BTN right away, until FOX was up, and that is why ESPN decided to launch the SECN in 2014 instead of 2012 when the SEC wanted to push for launch.

That’s the question. Will it be before the first game kickoff?

now let’s fill up the rest of the thread with 30 posts about cutting the cable etc.
nothing beats "cutting the cable" theads. posters telling us how easy it is by simply joining multiple streaming services and cancelling before the free subscription ends..

Reactions: HOF Coach

CHARLOTTE – Calling increased distribution “critical,” ACC commissioner Jim Phillips indicated Tuesday that progress is being made to getting the ACC Network to Comcast/Xfinity customers, a group that includes nearly 20 million subscribers nationwide, including many in Virginia.
Those homes spent the last season unable to watch Virginia and Virginia Tech games on the league’s television network, which does have carriage agreements with Cox, Charter Spectrum and Verizon Fios, plus Dish Network, DirectTV, Hulu and YouTube TV, among other cable alternatives.

“It's one of the top priorities I've had,” said Phillips. “Distribution is critical for us. … Those frustrations are real. We'll never be the conference that we need to be until we get some of those issues taken care of.”

Phillips announced Tuesday that Virginia Tech’s Oct. 9 game against Notre Dame, as well as Clemson’s Oct. 2 game against Boston College, would also air on ACC Network. Both are marquee matchups.

Phillips noted that Comcast’s current contract with Disney – which owns ESPN and the ACC Network – is coming up for renewal and indicated that could provide an opportunity to add ACC Network to its lineup. The current deal runs out in September, according to sources.
“I think we have a great plan coming up,” said Phillips. “A lot of the carriers and providers, including Comcast, renewals coming up this late summer and into the fall. I think we're making tremendous progress with them.”

The provider is the cable source for over 20% of television viewers nationwide.
The commissioner said the league’s channel is currently available in about 70 million homes across the country.
Seven of Virginia Tech’s 11 games last season, and eight of UVA’s 10 aired on ACC Network.
ACCN is already scheduled to carry 14 games in September, including Illinois at UVA, UVA at UNC, Old Dominion at Wake Forest, and Liberty at Syracuse.

Reactions: ThePanthers

CHARLOTTE – Calling increased distribution “critical,” ACC commissioner Jim Phillips indicated Tuesday that progress is being made to getting the ACC Network to Comcast/Xfinity customers, a group that includes nearly 20 million subscribers nationwide, including many in Virginia.
Those homes spent the last season unable to watch Virginia and Virginia Tech games on the league’s television network, which does have carriage agreements with Cox, Charter Spectrum and Verizon Fios, plus Dish Network, DirectTV, Hulu and YouTube TV, among other cable alternatives.

“It's one of the top priorities I've had,” said Phillips. “Distribution is critical for us. … Those frustrations are real. We'll never be the conference that we need to be until we get some of those issues taken care of.”

Phillips announced Tuesday that Virginia Tech’s Oct. 9 game against Notre Dame, as well as Clemson’s Oct. 2 game against Boston College, would also air on ACC Network. Both are marquee matchups.

Phillips noted that Comcast’s current contract with Disney – which owns ESPN and the ACC Network – is coming up for renewal and indicated that could provide an opportunity to add ACC Network to its lineup. The current deal runs out in September, according to sources.
“I think we have a great plan coming up,” said Phillips. “A lot of the carriers and providers, including Comcast, renewals coming up this late summer and into the fall. I think we're making tremendous progress with them.”

The provider is the cable source for over 20% of television viewers nationwide.
The commissioner said the league’s channel is currently available in about 70 million homes across the country.
Seven of Virginia Tech’s 11 games last season, and eight of UVA’s 10 aired on ACC Network.
ACCN is already scheduled to carry 14 games in September, including Illinois at UVA, UVA at UNC, Old Dominion at Wake Forest, and Liberty at Syracuse.
I was under the impression the current deal runs out at the end of the year. If it runs out in September I am further convinced that Comcast adds the ACCN by football season.

I was under the impression the current deal runs out at the end of the year. If it runs out in September I am further convinced that Comcast adds the ACCN by football season.
This one says end of year so who knows...

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – ACC commissioner Jim Phillips has heard plenty from member schools about the demand from fans for Comcast Xfinity and other cable providers to pick up ACC Network. He is hopeful that their wishes could be met in the next several months.

“We’re hopeful to come to an agreement with these cable providers that aren’t carrying the network, and that’s anytime between now through the end of the year,” Phillips said in a Wednesday interview with the AJC at the ACC Kickoff media event.

Georgia Tech fans have been vociferous in their complaints about Comcast not carrying ACC Network, which launched in August 2019. The Yellow Jackets played four football games on the network in 2019 and two in 2020 in addition to numerous basketball games. The Sept. 4 season opener against Northern Illinois also will be on the network.

Comcast’s contract with Disney – which owns ESPN, of which ACC Network is part – expires at the end of 2021. It is widely expected that Comcast will pick up the network with its new deal with Disney.
“Obviously, it’s heightened because of the football season, but I really like our plan,” Phillips said. “ESPN has been fantastic. They have also said it’s a priority for them, so I think it’s a good strategy to address that.”

I might have to go back to Comcast for some super cheap 1 year intro deal before cutting them again. I would hate to lose YTTV's unlimited DVR though. How many hours can you record on Comcast now?

It runs out at the end of the year, but I think they will push to make it a priority and have it late August/early September.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT