ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting ACC Baseball RPI article

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
FSU is pi$$ed their RPI is so bad and they should be. The ACC limited teams to 2 OOC series due to Covid whereas the SEC got 4. More games vs ACC teams had the obvious effect of teams beating each other and hurting each other's RPI. It was the same way with men's soccer. Pitt played 1 non-conference soccer game and most other teams only played a couple and RPIs were horrendous. I mean Pitt's soccer RPI was between 10 and 15 all year which is a joke. This Covid year has proven how important it is for RPI to load up on cupcakes in the non-con. Winning percentage is so important. It didn't help our anti-vaxxing squad that they had 3 wins vs Northern Kentucky taken away.

Florida State played 11 games against teams ranked 121 or lower in the RPI. Every one of those 11 games was at home. They went 7-4 in those games.

Stop losing home games to crappy teams and your RPI will be a lot higher.

But yeah, RPI is just as stupid for baseball (and all the other sports) as it was for basketball.

However, if the problem with RPI is that the ACC teams didn't play enough non-conference games, how does one explain Notre Dame? They are 10th in the RPI. They played four non-conference games. Not four non-conference games one weekend. Four all season.

how does one explain Notre Dame? They are 10th in the RPI. They played four non-conference games. Not four non-conference games one weekend. Four all season.
Easy. Winning percentage. What it seems like is that with the absence of non-conference games in all these sports, RPI has been pretty much just winning percentage. For soccer, you had some bad teams from lower tier conferences with Top 5 RPIs. Because they went undefeated in their weakass conference. Fairfield baseball is evidence of this at #2 though I would guess 25%-50% of ACC teams couldnt go 34-1 vs even their weak schedule. That is impressive. Or maybe its not, I don't know.

Easy. Winning percentage.

So what you are saying is that the problem is that Notre Dame wins their games and Florida State doesn't, even though Florida State played more non-conference games.

That sounds a whole lot more like a Florida State problem rather than an NCAA or an RPI problem.

As I said, RPI is dumb. It was dumb for basketball, it's dumb for baseball, it's dumb for soccer, it's dumb for all sports. But you can't go 7-4 in home games against teams ranked 121 or worse and blame your problems on someone else.

Or, I guess you can, but then you look foolish.

So what you are saying is that the problem is that Notre Dame wins their games and Florida State doesn't, even though Florida State played more non-conference games.

That sounds a whole lot more like a Florida State problem rather than an NCAA or an RPI problem.

As I said, RPI is dumb. It was dumb for basketball, it's dumb for baseball, it's dumb for soccer, it's dumb for all sports. But you can't go 7-4 in home games against teams ranked 121 or worse and blame your problems on someone else.

Or, I guess you can, but then you look foolish.
Ok but I think FSU's point is if they got to play 6 games vs some CUSA or Sun Belt teams or whatever and went 6-0, their RPI might be 20 spots higher. The SEC got an opportunity they didn't

Ok but I think FSU's point is if they got to play 6 games vs some CUSA or Sun Belt teams or whatever and went 6-0, their RPI might be 20 spots higher. The SEC got an opportunity they didn't

Sure. But given what the actually did this season, if they played six home games against random CUSA or Sun Belt teams they could have gone 4-2 and not been any better off than they are today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT