ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn from this?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
1. Non-conference SOS is much more important than your conference schedule. Virginia made it over us because they beat Florida and Texas A&M in the non-con and got their doors blown off by Memphis and Wisconsin. Florida neutral, A&M, @ Clemson, Wake, and NC St were their 2 best wins overall as they had a weaker ACC schedule. Our best came @ Duke, @ UVa, @ NC St, NC St, Wake, Wake neutral. They only had 2 Q1 wins and only 1 good road win. We have the better overall resume but non-conference games count double. Well, maybe not double but they are worth 1.25 or 1.5 the value of your conference games. We need to schedule, knowing this going forward.

2. You cant get in just for getting off the bus for B12 Q1 games. OK St 6-12 in Q1 last year. OU 4-12 this year. I didn't have OU in based on what the committee said about OK St last year.

3. They are on to the Mountain West. Boise and Colorado State barely got in when people had them as 8/9 seeds. The problem is their resumes are so great on paper, its hard to leave them completely out. I even had all 6 in even though I thought Colorado St and Boise were very suspect.

4. Back to non-con SOS. Its everything. Look at FAU and Dayton. Totally shit the bed relatively speaking in shit leagues but played great OOC schedules and won just a couple of those games vs NCAAT teams and that's enough.

NON-CONFERENCE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE

It's only been what, 20, 30 years that they have been talking about that?

I guess it's good at some level that you finally paid attention to what they have been saying for decades. Hell, we used to hear the same kind of thing when Ben Howland was the coach here as to why we didn't get better seeds. And how many years ago was that?

It's only been what, 20, 30 years that they have been talking about that?

I guess it's good at some level that you finally paid attention to what they have been saying for decades. Hell, we used to hear the same kind of thing when Ben Howland was the coach here as to why we didn't get better seeds. And how many years ago was that?

We knew it was important but its basically the MOST important thing. Lets say that non-con SOS wasnt on the team sheet and it wasn't allowed to be discussed by the committee, Pitt's overall resume is far better than Virginia. And overall SOS is actually better because our conference schedule was harder. Our SOS was 79. Their's was 80. I mean let that sink in. We quite literally played a tougher schedule.
But since the non-con games are worth 1.5 what a conference game is worth, they get the bid.

1. Non-conference SOS is much more important than your conference schedule. Virginia made it over us because they beat Florida and Texas A&M in the non-con and got their doors blown off by Memphis and Wisconsin. Florida neutral, A&M, @ Clemson, Wake, and NC St were their 2 best wins overall as they had a weaker ACC schedule. Our best came @ Duke, @ UVa, @ NC St, NC St, Wake, Wake neutral. They only had 2 Q1 wins and only 1 good road win. We have the better overall resume but non-conference games count double. Well, maybe not double but they are worth 1.25 or 1.5 the value of your conference games. We need to schedule, knowing this going forward.

2. You cant get in just for getting off the bus for B12 Q1 games. OK St 6-12 in Q1 last year. OU 4-12 this year. I didn't have OU in based on what the committee said about OK St last year.

3. They are on to the Mountain West. Boise and Colorado State barely got in when people had them as 8/9 seeds. The problem is their resumes are so great on paper, its hard to leave them completely out. I even had all 6 in even though I thought Colorado St and Boise were very suspect.

4. Back to non-con SOS. Its everything. Look at FAU and Dayton. Totally shit the bed relatively speaking in shit leagues but played great OOC schedules and won just a couple of those games vs NCAAT teams and that's enough.

1. We learned that you should schedule Duquesne.
2. We learned your two preseason top 10 big 12 teams missed the dance

We knew it was important but its basically the MOST important thing.

That is every bit as true as your 1,000 times declaration that the only thing that matters is a team's NET ranking.

I guess now that you can't even pretend that's true any more you have to move on to your next white whale.

The at large selection process is subjective. They’ll tell you otherwise. But it is. That can work FOR you (like it did for Pitt last yeat) or AGAINST you (like it did for Pitt this year).

OOC SOS Being THE reason Pitt was left out? Sure they can - after the fact - say that. But TCU and Northwestern defy that.

Bottom line: win more games.

But also, the NCAA has to look into allowing teams that suck in a 30+ game regular season and then win a conference trny to get 1 of the 32 automatic bids, IMO. That REALLY impacted things this year. Because NONE of the metrics apply to them. 😏

The at large selection process is subjective. They’ll tell you otherwise. But it is. That can work FOR you (like it did for Pitt last yeat) or AGAINST you (like it did for Pitt this year).

OOC SOS Being THE reason Pitt was left out? Sure they can - after the fact - say that. But TCU and Northwestern defy that.

Bottom line: win more games.

But also, the NCAA has to look into allowing teams that suck in a 30+ game regular season and then win a conference trny to get 1 of the 32 automatic bids, IMO. That REALLY impacted things this year. Because NONE of the metrics apply to them. 😏

TCU beat Houston and had 4 other Q1s. NW beat Purdue and had other nice wins. I mean you dont get automatically excluded if you have a bad non-con but if your overall resume is bubblish, the non-con eliminates you.

The at large selection process is subjective. They’ll tell you otherwise. But it is.

I don't think anyone, certainly not anyone that matters, has ever said that the at large process is not subjective.

The only way that someone could say that is if they don't understand what subjective means. And I assume that the people running the NCAA and on the committee all have college educations, so they do know.

TCU beat Houston and had 4 other Q1s. NW beat Purdue and had other nice wins. I mean you dont get automatically excluded if you have a bad non-con but if your overall resume is bubblish, the non-con eliminates you.
Bull. They were both bubblish and their OOC was worse. Pitt had very good wins, too. And several of them were on the road. A metric that was supposed to weigh HEAVILY

I wouldn't change things too much. We were three spots from making it in spite of...

An awful start.

An epic implosion by Missouri and WVU, compared to the early season and preseason expectations, respectively.

A high number of bid stealers.

Play every ooc on the. Road against q1 teams? I guess the results do t matter. Think team was even to better than last year

We learned the ACC has a terrible national perception issue thanks largely to lousy leadership who have failed miserably in terms of playing the entire media, and public relations game. The old boys, cracker conference….

Reactions: singregardless
Play every ooc on the. Road against q1 teams? I guess the results do t matter. Think team was even to better than last year

You can't just lose most of them though. See Oklahoma State last year and Oklahoma this year. Actually, UVa had the perfect schedule. Maybe a few too many anchors:

Neutral site game in Charlotte vs Florida

SEC Challenge at home vs good but beatable SEC team

Winnable road game vs a good program in Memphis

Holiday Tournament vs Wisconsin

Holiday Tournament vs WVU (couldnt help they sucked).

They dont have a non-con rival like we have with WVU so their home and home with Memphis would be the comp.

The tournament games you cant help much but looking at next year, if we lose say UCF and then get East Carolina or someone in the 3rd place game, its a complete waste.

The big difference is they played a neutral site game vs Florida. Could we play Ohio State in Cleveland like WVU did? Pitt vs Nova in Hershey? Or just a regular old home and home with an SHU, Maryland, someone like that.

Pitt had 4 road wins better than NW’s best win.
I agree about NC SOS but I also thought road wins were an important metric.
NW cant be a 9 and Pitt be first 4 out - there’s no justification for that in the resume.
Why isn’t conference SOS on the team sheet? It’s nonsensical to include NC SOS which Is only 1/3 of rhe schedule. Maybe they should also calculate home and road SOS? Isn’t overall SOS the most important metric?

Or win the games that are on the schedule.

Pitt deserved an invitation. Should have been Pitt instead of Virginia. Y’all got screwed. And a good decision to decline the NIT bid as the NIT needs to die off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT