ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Grad Transfer

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Shea Feehan from D3 Eureka College in Illinois is grad transferring to D1. He has an offer from Bryant and is being recruited by other mid-majors.

He averaged 31 PPG and 20 PPG in 3 exhibition games vs D1 teams. Shot 44% from 3.

If we are going to take a couple grad transfers, this would be a really intriguing player. Probably not ACC level but a kid who can maybe get you a couple 3s off the bench once in awhile.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FeeFor3?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Shea Feehan from D3 Eureka College in Illinois is grad transferring to D1. He has an offer from Bryant and is being recruited by other mid-majors.

He averaged 31 PPG and 20 PPG in 3 exhibition games vs D1 teams. Shot 44% from 3.

If we are going to take a couple grad transfers, this would be a really intriguing player. Probably not ACC level but a kid who can maybe get you a couple 3s off the bench once in awhile.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FeeFor3?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
Not sure why getting a couple 3s once in awhile is interesting or intriguing. If Capel gets him, I have no problem with it, but you kind of built it up then left me flat saying he's probably not an ACC player.

duncan robinson did it at michigan and he was a good player. it can happen.

1st team D2 player from this year transferred to Xavier.

Reactions: Teh Teh
I'm considering the source here, but I will say, "only" reading what SMF posted and not researching further, a D3 player putting up those kinds of numbers could potentially make it at the D1 level. Justin Robinson of Michigan played at D3 Williams his freshman year, dominated, helped take Williams to D3 championship, then landed at UM (he averaged about 18 and 7 as a frosh).

I was at a scouting event a few years back, pitching a D3 coach one of my undersized point guards, and the coach I was chatting with asked me: "You know what the difference is between a Division 1 and a Division 3 point guard?" "You tell me," I said. The answer: "About 4 inches."

Most kids playing college ball can play. What typically distinguishes the players between divisions is size and athleticism.

In theory, this kid has the stats to make the switch. Now, what position does he play? How tall is he (Robinson was a 6'8" SG, which makes a big difference)? How athletic is he? Lots of variables.But theoretically? Sure.

EDIT/ADDENDUM:

And ... just looked him up. He's 6'0". Averaged 30 ppg for the season and is obviously a really nice player, but at the D1 level, AT BEST, he's a Brady Heslip type of guy (Heslip was 6'2"). Needs to be on a team with a PG who can create, or perhaps on a heavy dribble-drive team or team that really spaces the floor, to get open. A 6' tall SG will get eaten alive in the ACC. ... To say nothing about defense. Who on earth is a guy that size going to defend at the 2 guard spot in the ACC? Our 2 last year was Parker Stewart, and this year it's likely to be Malik Ellison. Good God, this kid would get eaten alive by those two. To say nothing of a 2 guard like UK's Kevin Knox (6'8").

Just no.

Last edited:
Didn't we once have a small guard from Centenery or whatever it's called put of huge numbers at a D1 low major, and pretty much do very little here? I think that would be the larger percentage of the outcomes if we analyzed all very low to very high switches.

I'm considering the source here, but I will say, "only" reading what SMF posted and not researching further, a D3 player putting up those kinds of numbers could potentially make it at the D1 level. Justin Robinson of Michigan played at D3 Williams his freshman year, dominated, helped take Williams to D3 Final Four, then landed at UM (he averaged about 18 and 7 as a frosh).

I was at a scouting event a few years back, pitching a D3 coach one of my undersized point guards, and the coach said to me, "You know what the difference is between a Division 1 and a Division 3 point guard?" I said, "You tell me." His answer: "About 4 inches." Most kids playing college ball can play. What typically distinguishes the players between divisions is size and athleticism.

In theory, this kid has the stats to make the switch. Now, what position does he play? How tall is he (Robinson was a 6'8" SG, which makes a big difference)? How athletic is he? Lots of variables.

But in theory? Sure.

I will say that any kid averaging 31 PPG (and an efficient 31 PPG) in D3 could definitely play D1. What level of D1 is the thing. There will always be the Duncan Robinson example but truthfully, I have no idea how he ended up at a D3. Got to be more to that story because he is a borderline all-conference P6 type player.

This Sheehan kid can play D1 so if you are a guy like Capel and you are just looking to add a body or 2, and your choices are Sheehan or maybe some guy who averaged 6 PPG at Elon, I don't think there is much of a difference there but I would honestly go for the shooter, the kid with the scorer's mentality.

-This is a Stallings or Dixon type reach. A practice player at best. Get Hyatt

Ummm. No crap. Its a body for 1 year. We currently only have 8 scholarship players, 9 if you count Ellison.

I don't know if Capel even wants any grad transfers this year, especially marginal ones like this kid or a Monty Boykins/Chase Adams, but if he does, this kid would be at least looking into.

Didn't we once have a small guard from Centenery or whatever it's called put of huge numbers at a D1 low major, and pretty much do very little here? I think that would be the larger percentage of the outcomes if we analyzed all very low to very high switches.

Chase Adams -- he averaged 14.6 PPG at Centenary along with 4.5 PPG and 2.7 steals. Centenary dropped to Div II I believe, making Chase available right away for his senior season.

Chase was in the regular rotation early in the 2009-2010 season, but played much less after Jermaine Dixon returned from injury and Gilbert Brown from suspension.

His biggest claim to fame that season is that he was on the court for the last three minutes of the 3 OT WVU Win when Tray Woodall fouled out (and Brad and Jermaine had already fouled out).

All in all, not a bad pick up for the Panthers that season as a needed and helpful one year rental.

Ummm. No crap. Its a body for 1 year. We currently only have 8 scholarship players, 9 if you count Ellison.

I don't know if Capel even wants any grad transfers this year, especially marginal ones like this kid or a Monty Boykins/Chase Adams, but if he does, this kid would be at least looking into.

As mentioned, Chase was quite a bit more helpful than Boykins.

Reactions: Elsalvador
I will say that any kid averaging 31 PPG (and an efficient 31 PPG) in D3 could definitely play D1. What level of D1 is the thing. There will always be the Duncan Robinson example but truthfully, I have no idea how he ended up at a D3. Got to be more to that story because he is a borderline all-conference P6 type player.

This Sheehan kid can play D1 so if you are a guy like Capel and you are just looking to add a body or 2, and your choices are Sheehan or maybe some guy who averaged 6 PPG at Elon, I don't think there is much of a difference there but I would honestly go for the shooter, the kid with the scorer's mentality.
Jesus.

If you average 30+ ppg by driving past inferior players with your quickness it’s one thing , but if your knocking down 3’s from everywhere he’d be worth a serious look . A 6’3” guard changed the way the nba plays !

It can happen, when I was younger in the late 80s there was a kid in NJ who played a Trenton St college D3 and averaged about 35ppg. He was drafted by the suns and played also for the sixers. Name was Greg Grant. He was 5 ft 7 inches tall and 140lbs. Coach (Kevin Bannon) found him playing pickup ball at the local park. Bannon ended parlaying that kid into the Rutgers job, got fired over some crazy stuff like making players get naked in practice for missing shots or something.

Chase Adams -- he averaged 14.6 PPG at Centenary along with 4.5 PPG and 2.7 steals. Centenary dropped to Div II I believe, making Chase available right away for his senior season.

Chase was in the regular rotation early in the 2009-2010 season, but played much less after Jermaine Dixon returned from injury and Gilbert Brown from suspension.

His biggest claim to fame that season is that he was on the court for the last three minutes of the 3 OT WVU Win when Tray Woodall fouled out (and Brad and Jermaine had already fouled out).

All in all, not a bad pick up for the Panthers that season as a needed and helpful one year rental.

You left out the most amazing part. Chase Adams had a lengthy career getting paid to play basketball overseas, he may actually still be playing somewhere now.

For all the people who falsely claim that Dixon used Steven Adams incorrectly they might have a point if they said it about Chase Adams. How does a guy that you use only a few minutes a game end up having a relatively long pro career?

You left out the most amazing part. Chase Adams had a lengthy career getting paid to play basketball overseas, he may actually still be playing somewhere now.

For all the people who falsely claim that Dixon used Steven Adams incorrectly they might have a point if they said it about Chase Adams. How does a guy that you use only a few minutes a game end up having a relatively long pro career?

Chase is a really good guy too. Very friendly and positive.

But he wasn't nearly as good as Brad, Jermaine, Ashton and Trey. There just weren't minutes to be had for him.

Right now, hell I would take a Raphael Maia type, someone who can bang and grab some bounds.
I think I’m the lone member of the Raphael Maia fan club. I never understood why he would start and never see the floor again after the first TV timeout. He produced decent numbers in really limited minutes.

Chase Adams- scarily- looked like the best player on the floor in that seasons blue gold game. It’s amazing how that team progressed — they nearly lost to New Hampshire and a bad Duquesne team and ended up a 3 seed in the NCAAs.

Playing pro ball where though? Pro ball in low-level leagues like Taiwan or Luxembourg or something. I know a guy whose WPIAL son, who was an average D2 player had a long career in some terrible European league playing for free housing and food basically

IMO grad transfer need is for a big rebounder--not for a guard.

I would agree and that's why I'd take a Chukwuka-type grad transfer. Just a practice player who can maybe give you 8 minutes a game on occasion. And that's exactly why Chukwuka wouldn't be cut this year as some would like. That's the level of grad transfer we'd get. And that's about the level of this D3 guard.

Playing pro ball where though? Pro ball in low-level leagues like Taiwan or Luxembourg or something.

Actually he's spent almost his whole career playing the the second division in Germany. Which is a hell of a lot higher level basketball than Taiwan or Luxembourg or something.

Back to the OP, is this someone Capel is after, or just mental gymnastics by bored posters?

There's nowhere that says Capel is pursuing the kid. I just posted it because

1) its a really intriguing story that you rarely see: D3 to D1

2) its the type of grad transfer that Capel could realistically get. Any decent grad transfer will want at least a shot at the NCAAT. This kid would walk here from Illinois for the chance just to play in the ACC.

Worst-case scenario, he sits the bench

There's nowhere that says Capel is pursuing the kid. I just posted it because

1) its a really intriguing story that you rarely see: D3 to D1

2) its the type of grad transfer that Capel could realistically get. Any decent grad transfer will want at least a shot at the NCAAT. This kid would walk here from Illinois for the chance just to play in the ACC.

Worst-case scenario, he sits the bench
You take a player like this if we're going into July, and you have a spot or two that you were going to keep empty to have room for recruits the next year. There's not much left among high school seniors, and soon that pool will be basically D2 types, so you don't want to waste a spot on them. Practice players will be needed, so fill the spots with the best grads you can get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT