ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Narduzzi statistic

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
After last night’s 33-30 win over Duke, Coach Narduzzi is now 16-14 in one-score games.

To put that in perspective, the last four Pitt coaches’ one-score game records looked like this:

Chryst: 4-10
Graham: 2-4
Wannstedt: 12-16
Harris: 17-22

Pitt has been historically bad in close games. SB Nation did an article on it in 2015. In fact, Narduzzi is the first Pitt coach to have a winning record in this situation since Jackie Sherrill, who was 13-2-1 (Foge Fazio was 9-9-3).

What’s different about Narduzzi than the last however many coaches is the fact that, more times than not, he’s about to pull off victories in tight games. Hopefully him and his cardiac kids can keep it up!

I wonder if the quality of opponents is better in those games for narduzzi too? I’d guess it is with the ACC slate and out of conference.
I’d imagine they are, if anything due to the fact that Narduzzi coaches at a time when Pitt plays more P5 teams per year due to the amount of conference games relative to before along with the non-conference opponents.

Then Dolphins fans are idiots. Because Saban was an excellent coordinator on the Cleveland Browns and an excellent coach at Alabama.

I don't know why there is a pro Narduzzi faction that keeps going back to bashing Chryst. They both can be good, dudes.

Then Dolphins fans are idiots. Because Saban was an excellent coordinator on the Cleveland Browns and an excellent coach at Alabama.

I don't know why there is a pro Narduzzi faction that keeps going back to bashing Chryst. They both can be good, dudes.
I agree. Asking a fans about their own team almost guarentees an incorrect answer.

No, no, no I read on this board that Chryst is the greatest coach in the history of coaching and Narduzzi can't coach his way out of a cardboard box.
I don't believe it was ever said Chryst was a great coach. It was said he has become a very good coach after leaving PITT. The Duzz is still learning.

I don't believe it was ever said Chryst was a great coach. It was said he has become a very good coach after leaving PITT. The Duzz is still learning.

Plays with a stacked deck after leaving Pitt. UW's OOC opponents S&P+ all fall outside the top 100... then they play in the B1G West. Easy to stack wins in that place.

After last night’s 33-30 win over Duke, Coach Narduzzi is now 16-14 in one-score games.

To put that in perspective, the last four Pitt coaches’ one-score game records looked like this:

Pitt has been historically bad in close games. SB Nation did an article on it in 2015. In fact, Narduzzi is the first Pitt coach to have a winning record in this situation since Jackie Sherrill, who was 13-2-1 (Foge Fazio was 9-9-3).

What’s different about Narduzzi than the last however many coaches is the fact that, more times than not, he’s about to pull off victories in tight games. Hopefully him and his cardiac kids can keep it up!
He’s also probably pretty close to the top of the list in allowing a 3 score second half lead to turn into a one score final.

Anyone ask our coach what his mindset was going into the half? Regarding not even attempting to get into field goal range?

Narduzzi seems to have been much better against the spread as well. It's been a painful process. Both Chryst and Narduzzi were very raw and both cost us winnable games. Chryst is now very good and Narduzzi 8s improved and showing some promise. Chryst has had much more to work with than Narduzz8 since landing at Wiscy. Both are solid to good coaches.

Not saying that Narduzzi isn't doing something right. He keeps his teams in the game but he also chose to kick a FG inside the five late against PSU. That makes me think he hasn't quite gotten things perfected.
Definitely. And, playing devil’s advocate, one could argue that the fact that Narduzzi already has 30 “close games” within his first five seasons shows that he’s unable to put teams away when they’re in position to.

Just something I found that I thought was interesting and sad to a certain point, that we’ve been this bad in one score games. I wish I had the time to compare our record with other schools during the same time.

Reactions: pittdan77 and upj87
Pn has some warts but he has for the most part instilled a never quite attitude with this team. Almost all pitt teams before this lose that game last night once the comeback happened.now the question is can they recruit and development offensive talent like they have on d. Do that and we will likely be looking for a new coach but hopefully its not till we win something big

uh, having 21+ leads should not lead to one score games...

uh, having 21+ leads should not lead to one score games...

This is somewhat odd timing for this post. I’m glad pitt is 4-2 but they have really flirted with disaster these last three wins. Pitt should have been up close to 40, and that is not hyperbole. I give credit to Pickett for driving for the win but it should not have gotten to that point.

the bad oline play is eventually going to kill them.

This is somewhat odd timing for this post. I’m glad pitt is 4-2 but they have really flirted with disaster these last three wins. Pitt should have been up close to 40, and that is not hyperbole. I give credit to Pickett for driving for the win but it should not have gotten to that point.

the bad oline play is eventually going to kill them.
This year was never really about winning 10 games, sure that would be awesome but most people had pitt winning 5 to 6 games. This year is about making a bowl game and continuing to build. If they get to 8 wins its a success. Vegas had us at 5.5 i predicted 7 many posters had us at 5 or 6

Great post. Thanks.

This year was never really about winning 10 games, sure that would be awesome but most people had pitt winning 5 to 6 games. This year is about making a bowl game and continuing to build. If they get to 8 wins its a success. Vegas had us at 5.5 i predicted 7 many posters had us at 5 or 6

Totally agree. Next year could be very big. And if Narduzzi has a three year stretch with two division titles and another 8 win season in the middle of them, it's hard to say that's not a success at a program like Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT