ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stat

With the new O it sounded like on Radio finally a new age offense fully implemented. Graham was “supposed” to be fast and intricate but he was gone in a flash. I was able to see on tv ga state vs ga tech. Velloux (sp) actually looked decent in what was a fast paced offense.

19Of 34yards:2106.2 average / 28 long0

He may have been ok in this offense if he stuck around. Depth would be nice but I think Holstein will be ok. Saying that he looked like a QB, last season O was so bad it I don’t think I realized it was so bad. Pitt is lucky they didn’t lose more to portal with suck a bad O. Waste of a year.

With the new O it sounded like on Radio finally a new age offense fully implemented. Graham was “supposed” to be fast and intricate but he was gone in a flash. I was able to see on tv ga state vs ga tech. Velloux (sp) actually looked decent in what was a fast paced offense.

19Of 34yards:2106.2 average / 28 long0

He may have been ok in this offense if he stuck around. Depth would be nice but I think Holstein will be ok. Saying that he looked like a QB, last season O was so bad it I don’t think I realized it was so bad. Pitt is lucky they didn’t lose more to portal with suck a bad O. Waste of a year.
Graham’s offense wasn’t as, for lack of a better word, “mature” as spread offenses are now. His whole intention was to run as many plays as possible as quickly as possible and you were bound to get a few good ones. He also didn’t know how to slow it up and end the game.

I saw an interview with Devin Street, and he said that he asked what his route was for a particular play. Graham said, “just get open.” Street couldn’t believe it. There was no route. There was no throwing a receiver open, because the QB had no idea what the WR was doing.

When Chryst was hired, I believe Orndoff said they practiced each route 1000 times.

Watch a replay of the game to see the design of some of the plays. It could be a really good offense.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I like it….as long as we can line up and get 2 yards when we need two yards. As long as we can chew up 5 minutes when we need to chew up 5 minutes.

Otherwise - score as often as you can as fast as you can.
Throttle, hammer, pedal…

Well you know.

Other than his own hype, I'm not really sure where Todd Graham gets this rep as an offensive guru. Dude never really coached on the offensive side of the ball a day in his life to my knowledge.

At Rice, he did nothing more than steer them away from the triple option when he took over as HC. He hired Gus Malzahn at Tulsa, as Gus was desperate to get the hell out of Fayetteville, as his relationship with Nutt had turned toxic. He was pretty much able to self-brand himself as some kind of offensive guru after that and hyped the hell out of it to further his career.

By my count, we ran 80 plays from scrimmage Saturday. We didn't look hurried, and we didn't make many mistakes with the quicker snaps.

This bodes well for Pitt's 2024 offense. I think last year we only had about 60 snaps per game. That gives us 33% more opportunity to move the ball and put points on the board.

I'm encouraged and can't wait to see more.

Other than his own hype, I'm not really sure where Todd Graham gets this rep as an offensive guru. Dude never really coached on the offensive side of the ball a day in his life to my knowledge.

At Rice, he did nothing more than steer them away from the triple option when he took over as HC. He hired Gus Malzahn at Tulsa, as Gus was desperate to get the hell out of Fayetteville, as his relationship with Nutt had turned toxic. He was pretty much able to self-brand himself as some kind of offensive guru after that and hyped the hell out of it to further his career.

Even when SP felt he needed to bring in an offensive guru who could score points, he brought in a defensive offensive guru. Lol.

By my count, we ran 80 plays from scrimmage Saturday. We didn't look hurried, and we didn't make many mistakes with the quicker snaps.

This bodes well for Pitt's 2024 offense. I think last year we only had about 60 snaps per game. That gives us 33% more opportunity to move the ball and put points on the board.

That's really neither here nor there. though. You're also giving your opponent more opportunities to put points on the board. Regardless of what tempo you play, the important thing is to sustain drives and score points, (preferably touchdowns) while keeping your opponent from doing so.

Most coaches that subscribe to playing fast do so because they feel like it gives them a strategic advantage by not allowing defenses to disguise things and forces them to tip their hand getting set for the next play.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Most coaches that subscribe to playing fast do so because they feel like it gives them a strategic advantage by not allowing defenses to disguise things and forces them to tip their hand getting set for the next play.

there’s also an argument that it helps the more talented teams.

FSU-GT was a perfect example of that.
GT went incredibly slow.
FSU went incredibly slow.

And by the time FSU’s offense had figured it out a little, they hadn’t even run 60 snaps and the game was over.

The more snaps run, the more it favors the teams with the better talent. Because on a long enough timeline, all luck evens out and talent takes over.

Bingo. And you saw this during the game on Saturday.

We ran tempo against Cover-2. Easy completion after easy completion. Not only could Kent State not adjust their personnel to what we were running against them, they also couldn't get together and talk about how to take certain routes away. That's why it often looked so easy even in the QB's first ever game; Holstein and the WRs knew exactly what the defense was going to run and they got to run their beaters against it.

Todd Graham's rep as an offensive guru comes from TG being really good at hiring offensive coaches. Say what you will about his coaching, but his real talent was being able to surround himself with good coaches.

Reactions: cashisking884
Todd Graham's rep as an offensive guru comes from TG being really good at hiring offensive coaches. Say what you will about his coaching, but his real talent was being able to surround himself with good coaches.

Kevin Sumlin was the same way.

He had Novel at Pitt, right?

Yeah.

I just find it incredibly odd how a coach that never coached on the offensive side of the ball a day in his life was able to basically brand himself as the mastermind of his offense & drive that narrative.

Check out this article from his time here. Pitt football coach Todd Graham unveiled his "high-octane" offense

Just the way that article is written... I don't know, It might just be me, as I'm no fan of Todd Graham, but it just comes across as weird. Nobody would call Pitt's current offense Narduzzi's offense. And Narduzzi isn't out there implying that its his brainchild. Bob Stoops allowed several Air-Raid innovators to thrive at OU, and he was always quick to credit Leach & the coaches that followed that actually ran that side of the ball. I always found it tacky in several ways how Graham would talk about "his" offense.

Maybe Graham should have given it one more year at Pitt with Norvell and it would have worked out. But I think he prefers to he the king and that's the Steelers head coach, not Pitt.

I mean we ran 77 plays last year in week 1 and we ran 80 this week against the worst team in the FBS last season.

I understand that everyone wants to start the season in a positive light, but why anyone is taking much from this game is absolutely beyond me.

Here's some interesting stats:

Top 5 tacklers were all LBs (Louis, George, Biles, Lovelace, Thompson). They combined for 34 tackles, and 6 TFLs (including 3 sacks).

Did Kamara and Deshields even play for their new teams? Didn't see either in their respective box scores.

Top 5 tacklers were all LBs (Louis, George, Biles, Lovelace, Thompson). They combined for 34 tackles, and 6 TFLs (including 3 sacks).

Did Kamara and Deshields even play for their new teams? Didn't see either in their respective box scores.
According to the South Carolina stats, Kamara played and recorded no stats.

DeShields did not see the field.

According to the South Carolina stats, Kamara played and recorded no stats.

DeShields did not see the field.
Jules had a really nice game for South Carolina. I think the Gamecocks have 4 former Panthers on their roster. (Jules, Kamara, Beville, and Buddy Mack)

Myles Austin had some catches for ODU in that game.

Lol at the South Carolina QB who credited the defense in his post game interview and dropped the line "Those guys played their balls off."

Jules had a really nice game for South Carolina. I think the Gamecocks have 4 former Panthers on their roster. (Jules, Kamara, Beville, and Buddy Mack)

Myles Austin had some catches for ODU in that game.

Lol at the South Carolina QB who credited the defense in his post game interview and dropped the line "Those guys played their balls off."
Forgot about Jules. So many freaking transfers I can't keep track anymore.

I mean we ran 77 plays last year in week 1 and we ran 80 this week against the worst team in the FBS last season.

I understand that everyone wants to start the season in a positive light, but why anyone is taking much from this game is absolutely beyond me.
enough of the rational critical thinking...

Better than last season when it seemed like McMillon was making every other tackle…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT