ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Pitt athletics season officially at an end

NCST has more to spend in NIL and the RTC is more well funded. VT's success is a little more surprising but they have built a really good program.
So then you need to ask why is fundraising at a non-traditional wrestling program like NCSU so much better than Pitt's.

So then you need to ask why is fundraising at a non-traditional wrestling program like NCSU so much better than Pitt's.
The biggest reason IMO is that Pitt does not have a history of success and it is hard to develop a donor base without success.

I don't know what is NC State's fundraising.

The biggest reason IMO is that Pitt does not have a history of success and it is hard to develop a donor base without success.

I don't know what is NC State's fundraising.
And NC State has a history of wrestling success?

And NC State has a history of wrestling success?
I am not familiar enough with the inner workings of the NC State program to tell you why they are able to fund raise at higher level than Pitt. Looking in from the outside Pat Pop is heck of a coach who had proven prior to NC State that he is able to create a winning culture at a school with little to no history.

Outside of the one mega donor that loves the sport you generally need a history of past success that donors want to recapture or recent success to get people excited.

I was of the belief that Nino winning an NC would have a bigger impact on recruiting but the lack of international free style success and the lack of NIL are hurting. Now with NIL it makes it easier for the wrestling clubs (PWC, NLWC, Ohio RTC, etc.) funnel money to college athletes Pitt is even further behind when before it was a little more gray with only a few doing it.

I hate what ifs but I have no doubt that Pitt wrestling would be in a much better place if they would have hired Pat Santoro instead of Gavin.

I am not familiar enough with the inner workings of the NC State program to tell you why they are able to fund raise at higher level than Pitt. Looking in from the outside Pat Pop is heck of a coach who had proven prior to NC State that he is able to create a winning culture at a school with little to no history.

Outside of the one mega donor that loves the sport you generally need a history of past success that donors want to recapture or recent success to get people excited.

I was of the belief that Nino winning an NC would have a bigger impact on recruiting but the lack of international free style success and the lack of NIL are hurting. Now with NIL it makes it easier for the wrestling clubs (PWC, NLWC, Ohio RTC, etc.) funnel money to college athletes Pitt is even further behind when before it was a little more gray with only a few doing it.

I hate what ifs but I have no doubt that Pitt wrestling would be in a much better place if they would have hired Pat Santoro instead of Gavin.
What is scary is that Flynn is building a solid team down in Morgantown. I am not as big of a WVU hater as most on the board, but it is one thing to lose WPIAL recruits to PSU, Iowa, Ohio St, Okie St, but to lose WPIAL guys to WVU is another story.

What is scary is that Flynn is building a solid team down in Morgantown. I am not as big of a WVU hater as most on the board, but it is one thing to lose WPIAL recruits to PSU, Iowa, Ohio St, Okie St, but to lose WPIAL guys to WVU is another story.
Flynn is another excellent coach who is right up there with Pat Santoro but most of the WPIAL guys that have gone to WVU trained Quest School of Wrestling. Quest was founded by Jim Akerly who was an All-American at WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT