ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting twitter thread on MLS Economics

The MLS is all jacked up. We've talked about this before. They put in the Beckham rule to allow teams to go after marketable players and teams did that for awhile but now they mostly all decided to use that rule to go after South American C teamers, where they can get more of them for a million or so each.

I disagree with the notion from that tweet that a rookie from NW is starting. Very few Americans start. They ride the bench. The South Americans start and make good money. The Americans ride the bench, some of them making only 5 figures, which brings the average salary down.

Here's the thing, MLS is in CONCACAF. They arent competing with UEFA teams. They dont need to enhance their overall quality to compete with UEFA. If it were me, I'd pay 2-2 world superstars on the backside of their careers and fill in the rest of the team with Americans. But you cant do that because they'd get run out of the building by the teams who play South American C teamers

The MLS is all jacked up. We've talked about this before. They put in the Beckham rule to allow teams to go after marketable players and teams did that for awhile but now they mostly all decided to use that rule to go after South American C teamers, where they can get more of them for a million or so each.

I disagree with the notion from that tweet that a rookie from NW is starting. Very few Americans start. They ride the bench. The South Americans start and make good money. The Americans ride the bench, some of them making only 5 figures, which brings the average salary down.

Here's the thing, MLS is in CONCACAF. They arent competing with UEFA teams. They dont need to enhance their overall quality to compete with UEFA. If it were me, I'd pay 2-2 world superstars on the backside of their careers and fill in the rest of the team with Americans. But you cant do that because they'd get run out of the building by the teams who play South American C teamers
The tweet said the bench has the northwestern kid, not the starters.

The tweet said the bench has the northwestern kid, not the starters.
Ok, yea, that's basically true and I'm fine with that. What is the purpose of bringing in even MORE South American C teamers to ride the bench? Yea, it would increase competition in training but so what? These teams only play each other. They dont compete witb UEFA and nobody cares about the CCL.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT