ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Really not sure how Iowa State went 9-9 in the Big 12 this year. With the wins that they had. I had a feeling it would be another ugly close one, and wow. It wasn't even like Iowa State just had an off night shooting it or something. They looked completely scared and timid. I think I owe the ACC an apology. Not because it was good. But we can see that these other conferences were severely overrated.

I don't think Pitt played well at all. Of course it was ugly and in the mud. That is part of it. But you have to feel really good when you win by 18 with the following;

- Blake couldn't make a shot
- Nelly had a rough stretch
- Jamarius did not play well
- Greg did very little
- Federiko is not healthy at all and had no impact

All of that and you win by 18. Each one of these elimination games is completely different and now they get 48 hours to breathe. I don't think you will see Federiko improve much by Sunday. Probably have to win and sneak another week for him. At this point, it is what it is.

Nelly deserves credit. Thought he was really bad in the first half, but then he came back and made a couple big shots. He has a tendency to do that. Similar to how Levance was. Didn't matter what he did for 35 minutes, you can count on him in crunch time for the most part. This kind of leadership and experience wins at the guard position. It is not a coincidence.

I've noticed each of these tournament teams are very experienced. Just as experienced or more so than Pitt. Just the COVID era I guess, but these teams have a ton of seniors.

Blake was really bad today and he tends to not have two bad ones in a row. That will be critical, as this team is going to need him to go off a bit again Sunday. Xavier is not as good defensively as these last two teams, but they are much better offensively. It is going to be a much different game. I'm concerned with Jamarius right now. He has to sit with ice until Sunday but also play much better. To beat this Xavier team, they will need to be much better. The good news is that the style and matchup should allow for more of a traditional offensive game.

No sense in nitpicking this one anymore. It is a one game survive and advance setting. Nothing matters other than who is circled at the end of it. These games can take on a life of their own and be its own adventure. That is the beauty in it. It is time to play with house money and clean it up. No flops, charges, emotional decisions, etc. This team is capable of beating Xavier if they are all together and locked in. It is so fun to watch this team figure it out. It just feels like it shouldn't end yet. Down to 40 minutes again on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News