ADVERTISEMENT

Is Darrelle Revis a future NFL HOFer?

PittSqueak

Scholarship
Dec 1, 2004
I don't know enough about the NFL to make an informed opinion on this question, but I'm curious about the thoughts of knowledgeable NFL fans.

FACTS I KNOW:
I see he made 7 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pros, is a 1x Super Bowl champ, and was arguably one of the 2 best CB's in '09, '10, '11, '13, '14. He was 2nd in DPOY voting for 2009, the only year he received votes for that award (although very few CB's receive votes for this).

I also see there are VERY few CB's who played in the last 35 years in the HOF, but again I don't know enough about the NFL to understand the true context of this. Doing a quick search of the recent-ish CB's on that HOF list, it appears Revis compares favorably against guys like Aeneas Williams (8x PB, 3x AP), Mike Haynes (9x PB, 2x AP), Darrell Green (7x PB, 1x AP), and Roger Wehrli (7x PB, 3x AP). Recent top CB's who aren't in the HOF include (just for context on the Pro Bowl and All-Pro numbers) Richard Sherman (4x PB, 3x AP), Patrick Patterson (7x PB, 3x AP), Champ Bailey (12x PB, 3x AP), Ronde Barber (5x PB, 3x AP), and Charles Woodson (9x PB, 3x AP). I'll point out NONE of these guys has the combination of at least 7 Pro Bowls AND 4 All-Pro selections.

SUMMARY:
I know very little about these guys -- I just did some quick searches of top CB's and checked these 2 numbers for their careers. Revis appears to rate pretty well against a few of the HOF CB's in regards to these 2 numbers and almost all the recent top CB's. I'd love to hear from NFL fans who know far more than what my little searches can do. Thanks!

I don't know enough about the NFL to make an informed opinion on this question, but I'm curious about the thoughts of knowledgeable NFL fans.

FACTS I KNOW:
I see he made 7 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pros, is a 1x Super Bowl champ, and was arguably one of the 2 best CB's in '09, '10, '11, '13, '14. He was 2nd in DPOY voting for 2009, the only year he received votes for that award (although very few CB's receive votes for this).

I also see there are VERY few CB's who played in the last 35 years in the HOF, but again I don't know enough about the NFL to understand the true context of this. Doing a quick search of the recent-ish CB's on that HOF list, it appears Revis compares favorably against guys like Aeneas Williams (8x PB, 3x AP), Mike Haynes (9x PB, 2x AP), Darrell Green (7x PB, 1x AP), and Roger Wehrli (7x PB, 3x AP). Recent top CB's who aren't in the HOF include (just for context on the Pro Bowl and All-Pro numbers) Richard Sherman (4x PB, 3x AP), Patrick Patterson (7x PB, 3x AP), Champ Bailey (12x PB, 3x AP), Ronde Barber (5x PB, 3x AP), and Charles Woodson (9x PB, 3x AP). I'll point out NONE of these guys has the combination of at least 7 Pro Bowls AND 4 All-Pro selections.

SUMMARY:
I know very little about these guys -- I just did some quick searches of top CB's and checked these 2 numbers for their careers. Revis appears to rate pretty well against a few of the HOF CB's in regards to these 2 numbers and almost all the recent top CB's. I'd love to hear from NFL fans who know far more than what my little searches can do. Thanks!

He is a Lock

Reactions: W1np1tt and P1TTFAN
Not sure if he would be first ballot, but he is for sure a Hall of Famer. He has had some of the single best years for any CB in history. For a stretch he shit down the other teams best WR week in and week out. One knock against him though is his lack of interceptions

FACTS I KNOW:

SUMMARY:
Yes.

He will likely make it but the quick drop off and short career makes it unlikely it is an absolute or first ballot like it seemed it would be a few years ago.

Thanks everyone! It seems clear that 3 current players who went to Pitt will end up in the HOF one day, which is pretty awesome!

Pretty sure he will get in but probably not on 1st ballot.

Didn’t have a very long career, but in his prime was better than anyone else at his position for multiple years.

Reactions: Jpripper88

FACTS I KNOW:

SUMMARY:

Did you really compare Revis to Sherman and Peterson and that they aren’t in the HOF??? I don’t know if any of them are eligible you listed.

By the way someone asked me what record will never be broken. I think it’s the int record. Over the past 10 years the game has changed soooooo much passing wise. Ints are so hard to get now it’s all high percentage throws. Revis played in this era

Revis Island. Most dominant corner I've ever seen for those several season back in the late 00's early 10's.

He will likely make it but the quick drop off and short career makes it unlikely it is an absolute or first ballot like it seemed it would be a few years ago.

That 2007 draft class had several players that will be interesting debates for the HOF. Revis, Adrian Peterson, Megatron and Patrick Willis all had relatively short primes but were absolutely dominant at their respective position at their peak. IMO the only sure fire first ballot guy in that class is Joe Thomas.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Another thing not mentioned is that there just really aren't a ton of HOF worthy CBs of the 2000s. Charles Woodson is in for sure (he also played a lot at S), then Champ Bailey, maybe Ty Law and Ronde Barber, and Sherman, who is still playing. That's it. Revis is no worse than 3rd of all of those. I think that the voters will recognize that SOME CBs need to get in, even if their numbers may not compare favorable to prior eras. That means Revis.

Ty Law didn’t get in yet. Revis may get in but it may not be as a first ballot.

Revis was significantly better than Law, in my opinion. More Pro Bowls (7 v 5), more All Pros (4 v 2) in significantly fewer games (145 v. 203). Revis doesn't have many INTs compared to Law or other top-end CBs, but I think voters will recognize that teams just didn't throw at him in his prime.

I believe he's going in. Probably not first ballot, but he will get in.

Yes, Pitt has three almost certain HOF locks if AD stays healthy.

That would put the all-time number at 11, which (as of today) would be good enough for third place overall among college programs.

Pitt is currently in a four-way tie for fourth place all-time at 8 with Alabama, Michigan, and Syracuse.

Hitting 11 will be absolutely HUGE. It's rarified air that could be helped if Jimbo Covert was ever rightly given his due as well.

FACTS I KNOW:

SUMMARY:
yep, land mass clause.

I think he will get in. But I also think his last couple of seasons may hurt initial perception of his play.

Did you really compare Revis to Sherman and Peterson and that they aren’t in the HOF??? I don’t know if any of them are eligible you listed.

Yeah, I think one of the key eligibility criteria is that you have to be RETIRED, but I'm not sure what the length of time is.

law was overrated, the pats put troy brown a receiver at his position and didn't miss a beat

revis absolutely will get in, should be first ballot and playing in new york will help

Yeah, I don’t quite get this one? This is a no-brainer. Darrelle Revis is definitely a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

He had a better career than pretty much every guy named above with the possible exception of Darrell Green and Mike Haynes. Those guys were also absolutely elite shut down corners.

Now that this has been settled, can someone start a thread about whether or not ice cream is delicious? I'd love to volley that one back and forth!

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Now that this has been settled, can someone start a thread about whether or not ice cream is delicious? I'd love to volley that one back and forth!
you never know...you don't get in for four or five tries you quickly can get lost in the mix and forgotten about...another Jet by the name of Joe Klecko can attest to that. One of those guys that seemed close to being a lock when he retired is rarely mentioned anymore.....

Klecko is a horrible oversight.

Goldberg not being in is Pitt's worst oversight.

I believe he's going in. Probably not first ballot, but he will get in.

Yes, Pitt has three almost certain HOF locks if AD stays healthy.

That would put the all-time number at 11, which (as of today) would be good enough for third place overall among college programs.

Pitt is currently in a four-way tie for fourth place all-time at 8 with Alabama, Michigan, and Syracuse.

Hitting 11 will be absolutely HUGE. It's rarified air that could be helped if Jimbo Covert was ever rightly given his due as well.

They have a legit shot at 4 if AD stays healthy and Shady puts up 3 more good years.

Klecko is a horrible oversight.

Goldberg not being in is Pitt's worst oversight.

Goldberg should not be in by any stretch of the imagination.

1600 yards rushing and 17 total TD’s in his NFL career does not get you in.

I realize he had 19 INT’s, but they all played both ways in his era. Only made 1 All-pro team.

Jimbo Covert probably Pitt’s worst exclusion. A case could maybe be made for Bill Fralic as well.

Jimbo Covert probably Pitt’s worst exclusion. A case could maybe be made for Bill Fralic as well.

I asked the initial question about Revis since I'm not an NFL guy so I'm really aware of how biased my perception of Pitt guys in the NFL is, so I have trouble with the context of their greatness.

That being said, Covert made 2 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro teams, and won 1 Super Bowl. Fralic mad 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro teams, and 1 Wrestlelmania. These numbers don't look that good after doing the CB research I posted above.

I asked the initial question about Revis since I'm not an NFL guy so I'm really aware of how biased my perception of Pitt guys in the NFL is, so I have trouble with the context of their greatness.

That being said, Covert made 2 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro teams, and won 1 Super Bowl. Fralic mad 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pro teams, and 1 Wrestlelmania. These numbers don't look that good after doing the CB research I posted above.

No those numbers aren’t all that great, in the end probably neither of them make it. Pitt doesn’t seem to have anyone who’s a blatant exemption, depending on how the next 2-3 years play out McCoy will be an interesting case. I think he makes it, but he’ll probably have to sweat it out a while.

No those numbers aren’t all that great, in the end probably neither of them make it. Pitt doesn’t seem to have anyone who’s a blatant exemption, depending on how the next 2-3 years play out McCoy will be an interesting case. I think he makes it, but he’ll probably have to sweat it out a while.

The numbers aren't great if you are a casual football fan that doesn't understand advanced stats and can only judge a DB by INT numbers. Similar to those that judge DT's simply by sack totals.

I think eventually he will but a premium is made to tackles instead of guards in the nfl

I think that is stupid. I don't doubt you, and I am not blaming you, but I think it's dumb. A great football player is a great football player.

I think we are sitting pretty good as a program with representation in tree HoF and it will only get better.

1. Fitzgerald - Lock
2. Revis - close to Lock
3. Shady - two healthy seasons and he's in top-10 all-time rushers = Lock
4. Ruben - I hope he gets in. I think he should.
5. Stepnoski - 5-time Pro Bowl, 3-time All Pro, 2-time Super Bowl champ. 2nd team 1990s All Decade Team (Dermontti Dawson was 1st team and there are 12 guys from that 2nd team in the HoF)

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I was just looking. Shady is 29th in career rushing yards with 10,092. He has a 4.6 ypc for his career. For the guys above him on the career rushing list for average per carry you have:

Jim Brown, 5.2 ypc; Barry Sanders, 5.0 ypc; Adrian Peterson, 4.8 ypc; O.J. Simpson, 4.7 ypc; Tiki Barber, 4.7 ypc; and Fred Taylor is at 4.6 ypc.

Jim Brown is 10th all-time in rushing yards with 12,312. Hopefully Shady can stay healthy for a few more seasons because there is no way a top-10 is being kept out of the HoF.

Only the amazing Frank Gore is in the top-10 and not in the HoF because that crazy bastard is still playing! I just saw too that Marcus Allen, for a whole bunch of reasons, only had three 1,000-yard rushing seasons. That's kind of crazy for a guy who was so great.

Last edited:
I think that is stupid. I don't doubt you, and I am not blaming you, but I think it's dumb. A great football player is a great football player.

I think we are sitting pretty good as a program with representation in tree HoF and it will only get better.

1. Fitzgerald - Lock
2. Revis - close to Lock
3. Shady - two healthy seasons and he's in top-10 all-time rushers = Lock
4. Ruben - I hope he gets in. I think he should.
5. Stepnoski - 5-time Pro Bowl, 3-time All Pro, 2-time Super Bowl champ. 2nd team 1990s All Decade Team (Dermontti Dawson was 1st team and there are 12 guys from that 2nd team in the HoF)
Agree fitz is a first ballot guy. Revis I think deserves in and will get in but I do not think he is a first ballot HOF guy. Shady is a guy who gets in with 3 more solid season's (1k yards) and likely gets in with 2 more really good years. Ruben probably gets in at some point as he is a 9 time Probowler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT