ADVERTISEMENT

Is Narduzzi Going Full-blown Belichick Mode?

Oct 25, 2021
We keep canceling visits of guys who have offers from Auburn/Michigan/LSU/etc. and accepting commitments from guys who have offers from Toledo/Boston College/Illinois/etc. Reminds me of Belichick's "head scratcher" selections we've seen so often in the first round over the years. I don't think one ACC Championship with a Heisman-caliber quarterback and a Biletnikoff-winning receiver should have us thinking that we found a cheat code in the system: Recruiting at this level, after all, is usually only good for 6-8 wins (and I don't think we'll have a QB/WR combo to rely on very often like we had last year).

I was hoping the extra accolades would assert us into that next tier of recruiting and we could do things the same, except with more talent. Isn't that how a program takes the next step? But it seems like we'd rather keep the recruiting formula the same, also. Again, that's fine if you can go out and land an experienced quarterback who can put together one of the best seasons in ACC history every year (or, in Belichick's case, if you have Tom Brady). In those circumstances, sure - go out and find a bunch of overachievers who are system guys and high-character teammates. But color me skeptical with what we're doing right now.

And yes - I know the rankings are not gospel. And I know that we've had plenty of 2-stars pan out and 4-stars bust out. But I also know that Narduzzi has averaged 7 wins per season before the last one.

We keep canceling visits of guys who have offers from Auburn/Michigan/LSU/etc. and accepting commitments from guys who have offers from Toledo/Boston College/Illinois/etc. Reminds me of Belichick's "head scratcher" selections we've seen so often in the first round over the years. I don't think one ACC Championship with a Heisman-caliber quarterback and a Biletnikoff-winning receiver should have us thinking that we found a cheat code in the system: Recruiting at this level, after all, is usually only good for 6-8 wins (and I don't think we'll have a QB/WR combo to rely on very often like we had last year).

I was hoping the extra accolades would assert us into that next tier of recruiting and we could do things the same, except with more talent. Isn't that how a program takes the next step? But it seems like we'd rather keep the recruiting formula the same, also. Again, that's fine if you can go out and land an experienced quarterback who can put together one of the best seasons in ACC history every year (or, in Belichick's case, if you have Tom Brady). In those circumstances, sure - go out and find a bunch of overachievers who are system guys and high-character teammates. But color me skeptical with what we're doing right now.

And yes - I know the rankings are not gospel. And I know that we've had plenty of 2-stars pan out and 4-stars bust out. But I also know that Narduzzi has averaged 7 wins per season before the last one.
I think it’s a combination of us needing more NIL $ to recruit higher level players and we need better recruiters at the LB and OL positions.

I think it’s a combination of us needing more NIL $ to recruit higher level players and we need better recruiters at the LB and OL positions.

It seems like we had a legit chance with some of the LB and DB recruits whose visits we canceled, though. The Harris twins, Mathews, Robinson, etc. At least get these guys on campus so you can circle back to them if someone decommits or if you have a few sports unexpectedly open at the end.

With OL, yeah - it's definitely us. The guys on the top of our board are committing elsewhere left and right, and we're starting to scrape the barrel a bit and extend some new offers that are getting into reach territory. We could really use Ramil and at least one other stud.

You have it wrong as in most of these cases these kids canceled the visits. Guys like the Harris twins and Matthews have offers from some “Big Name” schools and as Specialsauce said we can’t match their NIL $. Matthews had Pitt in his top 3 then he balled out at O$U camp and got an offer from them as they are his dream school. Plus he just got an L$U offer. What do you expect PN to do??? We can’t compete with the deep pockets of OSU, LSU etc.

You have it wrong as in most of these cases these kids canceled the visits. Guys like the Harris twins and Matthews have offers from some “Big Name” schools and as Specialsauce said we can’t match their NIL $. Matthews had Pitt in his top 3 then he balled out at O$U camp and got an offer from them as they are his dream school. Plus he just got an L$U offer. What do you expect PN to do??? We can’t compete with the deep pockets of OSU, LSU etc.

You're just making assumptions, though. Smith canceled his visit because he is going to Tennessee. But the other cancellations were absolutely initiated by Pitt, and we do have (or at least had) a legit chance at those guys. You're wayyyyy overestimating who is getting NIL money. You think Ohio State is breaking the bank for a high 3-star when they're going to have five 5-stars and ten 4-stars in this class? We wouldn't even be getting guys like Pollock and Neal if NIL money was getting tossed around to everyone.

It seems like we had a legit chance with some of the LB and DB recruits whose visits we canceled, though. The Harris twins, Mathews, Robinson, etc. At least get these guys on campus so you can circle back to them if someone decommits or if you have a few sports unexpectedly open at the end.

With OL, yeah - it's definitely us. The guys on the top of our board are committing elsewhere left and right, and we're starting to scrape the barrel a bit and extend some new offers that are getting into reach territory. We could really use Ramil and at least one other stud.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Narduzzi and staff have a pretty good idea on their chances with recruits and make decisions accordingly...

Actually it’s you making assumptions. Show proof PN canceled on Matthews and the Harris twins. If you have proof I’ll have no problem admitting I was wrong. You do realize OH kids like Matthews dream of going to OSU. Once he got that offer Pitt was done. And who is to say Matthews is better than the DBs we got? We have put quiet a few DB’s in the NFL recently so PN may know a thing or 2 about finding guys who can ball

Reactions: TheFormula
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Narduzzi and staff have a pretty good idea on their chances with recruits and make decisions accordingly...

So you don't think they can ever just be wrong? Do you think Tiawan Mullen didn't want to come here? Because he absolutely did; it's just that we already had AJ Woods in the fold.

You're just making assumptions, though. Smith canceled his visit because he is going to Tennessee. But the other cancellations were absolutely initiated by Pitt, and we do have (or at least had) a legit chance at those guys. You're wayyyyy overestimating who is getting NIL money. You think Ohio State is breaking the bank for a high 3-star when they're going to have five 5-stars and ten 4-stars in this class? We wouldn't even be getting guys like Pollock and Neal if NIL money was getting tossed around to everyone.
Just curious, why would Pitt cancel a visit?

Actually it’s you making assumptions. Show proof PN canceled on Matthews and the Harris twins. If you have proof I’ll have no problem admitting I was wrong. You do realize OH kids like Matthews dream of going to OSU. Once he got that offer Pitt was done. And who is to say Matthews is better than the DBs we got? We have put quiet a few DB’s in the NFL recently so PN may know a thing or 2 about finding guys who can ball

So you think that OSU offer is committable? We shall see.

So you don't think they can ever just be wrong? Do you think Tiawan Mullen didn't want to come here? Because he absolutely did; it's just that we already had AJ Woods in the fold.
No one said he can’t be wrong as all coaches are wrong every class. But he also does a heck of a job getting 2 and 3 star kids who end up being ballers….ie Dennis, Haba, Kancey, Hill etc.

No one said he can’t be wrong as all coaches are wrong every class. But he also does a heck of a job getting 2 and 3 star kids who end up being ballers….ie Dennis, Haba, Kancey, Hill etc.

I know he does. And it's led to 7 wins per season every year except the one where we had a Heisman finalist under center.

He went to their camp and tested great, so yes. Why do you think Pitt would cancel? This will be a large class and we will take another DB

I'm not saying it definitely isn't, but I'm skeptical. Don't be shocked if he ends up someplace that is comparable to Pitt.

Culture over all has been the recipe they used to win the ACC.

Reactions: 4upmc and gary2
I'm not saying it definitely isn't, but I'm skeptical. Don't be shocked if he ends up someplace that is comparable to Pitt.
What makes you think he is better than the DB,s we signed? Did you watch film and decide? Admit it you think he’s better because he just got raised to 4 star. He maybe be better but we are fine at DB and will continue to put more in the NFL.

You do realize he recruited KP. But Ok chicken little, the sky is falling

First of all, I'm not acting like Kenny Pickett was delivered to his doorstep. I 100% give him credit for recruiting Pickett. I also know that we got a little lucky with the Covid year and it took four years of starting experience (which almost never happens) to get him to that point. Regardless of the semantics, however, my underlying point was: How often are we going to have a QB under center who has a season that special?

I'm not saying the sky is falling at all. I'm just stating that I'm not seeing the progression I thought we might. Every year, I hear about how we got "out-athleted" against Miami. Well, they're kicking things into an even higher gear now. Are we?

What makes you think he is better than the DB,s we signed? Did you watch film and decide? Admit it you think he’s better because he just got raised to 4 star. He maybe be better but we are fine at DB and will continue to put more in the NFL.

I mean, my bigger gripe is at linebacker, to be honest. With Mathews, his tape didn't really blow me away. But, whether they're committable or not, the dude has drawn some pretty nice offers and piqued the interest of some big-time schools. So I have to defer to that.

Pitt has proven to be a good pipeline to the NFL and we have the Steelers literally practicing on the same field and eat in the same cafeteria. We will be fine!

Reactions: 4upmc
Yeah, mostly this.
Nards is not as Type A disciplined and cut throat at Hoodie, but it is actually a reasonable comparison.
HCPN and his crew do seem to have really good eyes for talent that fits their system, so they go get the guys who fit what they are looking to do. Instead of the super focused, attention to detail thing Hoodie does, HCPN is into the togetherness and team culture thing. Makes sense, his players are younger, have to juggle a lot more in life than just being a pro, etc.

Reactions: joeydavid
First of all, I'm not acting like Kenny Pickett was delivered to his doorstep. I 100% give him credit for recruiting Pickett. I also know that we got a little lucky with the Covid year and it took four years of starting experience (which almost never happens) to get him to that point. Regardless of the semantics, however, my underlying point was: How often are we going to have a QB under center who has a season that special?

I'm not saying the sky is falling at all. I'm just stating that I'm not seeing the progression I thought we might. Every year, I hear about how we got "out-athleted" against Miami. Well, they're kicking things into an even higher gear now. Are we?
Sorry but every team in the nation had a covid year don’t act like it just helped Pitt. Miami will always out recruit Pitt, you do realize they could field and excellent recruiting class without even leaving south FL. Despite them beating us…remind me who won the ACC?

still waiting for proof that Pitt canceled visits for higher ranked kids?

To be clear, I'm not complaining about the results so much as I am the process here. I understand we're not going to win certain recruiting battles. But why not give yourself a fighting chance in some of these cases?

Like, yeah... we almost had Thayer Munford, Brian Asamoah, etc. before some bigger schools scooped them up. That is what it is, and I get that aspect of it.

Sorry but every team in the nation had a covid year don’t act like it just helped Pitt. Miami will always out recruit Pitt, you do realize they could field and excellent recruiting class without even leaving south FL. Despite them beating us…remind me who won the ACC?

Okay, but not every team was able to return a quarterback with three seasons of experience. Again, though - you're missing my point. I'm not concerned with what led Pickett to last season. My point is that he HAD that season. And it's one that we're not going to get from the QB position very often.

So if everything else stays the same (recruiting at the same level and getting good, but not great, productivity from the QB position), you tell me how we're going to take the next step as a program.

I see you ignored a few questions as to showing proof Pitt canceled on high ranked kids?

Like I said if you have proof I’ll say you are right but as of now you are making assumptions without proof.

In past years, maybe it’s a different story. But it can be assumed this year (and beyond) that breaking off visits is a situation where the kid has been offered serious NIL money by the competing schools that will have the luxury of paying big NIL to both incoming freshman as well as to current players and transfers. tOSU, LSU are certainly two of those. Pitt and schools like us will have to pick and choose where (via the boosters of course) direct the available NIL money.

Reactions: pittdan77 and 4upmc
I agree 100% that this has been the formula. But is it to a fault? It wasn't last year, obviously. But... Kenny Pickett.
The "culture over all" recipe also worked last year because Clemson was down. If Trevor Lawrence (a 5 star recruit) decided to come back for a senior year, we probably weren't winning the ACC. Heck, we probably would have had an extra regular season loss and would not have even won the Coastal.

you keep saying the same thing. players aren't going to waste time going to a school who have just filled their slots. maybe pitt doesn't outright cancel the visit but they also maybe tell kids the situation and let them decide what they would like to do.

In past years, maybe it’s a different story. But it can be assumed this year (and beyond) that breaking off visits is a situation where the kid has been offered serious NIL money by the competing schools that will have the luxury of paying big NIL to both incoming freshman as well as to current players and transfers. tOSU, LSU are certainly two of those. Pitt and schools like us will have to pick and choose where (via the boosters of course) direct the available NIL money.
This is probably the only plausible reason to pull a commitment right now unless the kid you wanted the most is already committed and you don't have room in the class.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Okay, but not every team was able to return a quarterback with three seasons of experience. Again, though - you're missing my point. I'm not concerned with what led Pickett to last season. My point is that he HAD that season. And it's one that we're not going to get from the QB position very often.

So if everything else stays the same (recruiting at the same level and getting good, but not great, productivity from the QB position), you tell me how we're going to take the next step as a program.

With Cignetti and DiBiaso taking point on the QB position- I'm less worried about needing to hit on a random QB to win.

you keep saying the same thing. players aren't going to waste time going to a school who have just filled their slots. maybe pitt doesn't outright cancel the visit but they also maybe tell kids the situation and let them decide what they would like to do.
But he's responding to a guy that is claiming that Pitt is just foolishly cancelling OV's. I mean, if a highly touted 4-star wants to come to Pitt pretty badly but the class is "full" at that position, it's reasonable to assume that room can be made. There isn't a coaching staff in the country that wouldn't figure that out.

Reactions: BPKY and 4upmc
I would hazzard a guess that what NIL they can muster will mostly be used for retention more than recruitment.
It’s probably the best way to handle things in our position. Reward the guys that have proven themselves. The exception would be a superstar recruit that you have a really good relationship with and he fits the culture.

Reactions: Jeffburgh and 4upmc
This is probably the only plausible reason to pull a commitment right now unless the kid you wanted the most is already committed and you don't have room in the class.
Yes and if Pitt is technically the one saying we’re cutting off the visit, it is only likely after the players handlers have put the other schools offers on our table and we “choose” to walk away.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT