ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any hope for college football?

It is hard to walk away from it, but the times I would watch two or three games over the weekend are long gone.
Same, that has been steadily happening for me over the past 10-12 years--but that has had more to do with where I'm at with family life and my kids than the quality of the product or anything else. And what happens is, at some point you notice that you don't really miss watching all that football, and you never go back to your prior investment in it. These days I would much rather sit in my bag chair at a 3 day soccer tournament out in the middle of some rural area watching my daughters play on a nice fall day than than I would watch a college football game, in person or from my couch. It doesn't bother me a but to miss watching the football. The fact that the product is less interesting and I'm more jaded about it these days has only made it less of a priority.

Like Slick said, I'll watch a game of interest if I'm home and don't have anything more important to do, but I will not adjust my schedule or go out of my way to watch it anymore.

Reactions: Mikefln
I will still watch games. But what I will no longer do is sell my Saturdays to sit and watch college FB. It is the nicest weather of the year. I am not giving up going to say, Oktoberfest Festivals to watch Pitt or college FB games. Pitt/YSU I will be in OCMD. I am kind of glad they have clowned up this sport. It makes it easier to walk away.
Will watch Pitt first few to assess whether it will be 3-9 again or there will be hope for an over 0.500 season. If the latter, I will watch a few games of upcoming Pitt opponents to assess Pitt's chances against them. That will be it!

But even if you asked many of the fans on this board, they would tell you they'd rather be part of the big show than compete in any type of lesser division. I bet 80% of the people on here would rather be in a BIG/SEC super league where we share a division with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. than be in a second-tier league with WVU, BC, Cincy, etc.

Personally, I'd choose being competitive above all else. I've seen enough of the Pirates over the years to know that being part of a league you're completely saddled in isn't enjoyable. But I see both viewpoints.
I have to agree, it will be no fun being in the "BIGTIME" if we're struggling to go 4-8 every year, it would be MORE FUN to me the be 11-2 and go to the FCS tournament to play North Dakota.

Tennessee just gave their baseball coach a $3 million per year contract.

At Tennessee, counting the mandatory donation the most expensive baseball tickets cost $8,000 per season ticket.

No, that is not a typo. $800 for the ticket, $7,200 donation required.

And that's if you don't count their outfield "porch" seating, where you can purchase essentially a "super box" for a mere $25,000, donation included.

At Tennessee, counting the mandatory donation the most expensive baseball tickets cost $8,000 per season ticket.

No, that is not a typo. $800 for the ticket, $7,200 donation required.

And that's if you don't count their outfield "porch" seating, where you can purchase essentially a "super box" for a mere $25,000, donation included.

Do you think the tickets cover baseball salaries and operations? Doubtful. They will use that conference revenue to help fund this and other sports. The water polo team will have a gold plated swimming pool

CFB as we've known and loved it is long gone.
The metamorphosis is not complete, but what comes out the other side will be unrecognizable and so far away from the old "student athlete" of yesteryear model.

It will be harder and harder to even be a casual fan, especially for a program like Pitt which has even suffered in the early stages of this journey.

I will still watch games. But what I will no longer do is sell my Saturdays to sit and watch college FB. It is the nicest weather of the year. I am not giving up going to say, Oktoberfest Festivals to watch Pitt or college FB games. Pitt/YSU I will be in OCMD. I am kind of glad they have clowned up this sport. It makes it easier to walk away.

You said the truth, Brother. I'll be in Zion National Park for the Kent State game and otherwise busy on most other Saturdays for home games the rest of the year. Even if I wasn't busy, going to a Pitt football game wouldn't be in my top 3 things to do that day. The sport the way it is now has turned me against it. I won't be sacrificing my Saturdays like I used to so I could watch any college football of any team. Let them make it a circus. I don't like clown shows.

Do you think the tickets cover baseball salaries and operations? Doubtful. They will use that conference revenue to help fund this and other sports. The water polo team will have a gold plated swimming pool

I think they are one of the few college baseball programs that probably at least breaks even, if not makes a little money.

Yeah there are probably 10-12 really serious baseball programs. Tennessee is one. Vandy. Miss State. LSU. Texas. USC. Florida.

I mean I assume that a team like the Washington Wild Things makes at least a little money. Well schools like Tennessee and Vandy and some others play in larger stadiums, have higher attendance, and actually get some of their games on a national television outlet. Their program revenue has got to be a lot higher than the Wild Things bring in. They've got to be making at least a little money.

Or at least they had to be before they agreed to pay their manager $3 million.

It’s funny how the education now seems like an afterthought for these guys. NIL is real but can they live off of it for the rest of their lives?
Jumping from school to school surely doesn’t add up to any kind of quality of education.
The hard facts are around 5% of these guys end up in the NFL!

It’s funny how the education now seems like an afterthought for these guys. NIL is real but can they live off of it for the rest of their lives?
Jumping from school to school surely doesn’t add up to any kind of quality of education.
The hard facts are around 5% of these guys end up in the NFL!
For alot of these guys.......definitely not. For many others, put $500K in an Index500 fund and retire easily by 50.

For alot of these guys.......definitely not. For many others, put $500K in an Index500 fund and retire easily by 50.
Theoretically I guess.
How many will get $500 K though?
AND of that number, how many will invest it??

But whatever. The dummying down of the USA continues.

Yup. 500k invested in a 500 index fund when you are 20 tears old pays for a very healthy retirement. Just don't ask me to pay for it.

When do the Dallas Cowboys create an "NIL" for endorsement deals that are outside of NFL salary cap implications? Can the Cowboys low ball an offer to a guy like McCaffrey on a contract year with a "wink wink" that there is an endorsement deal with Joe's autoshop worth $10 million?

Yup. 500k invested in a 500 index fund when you are 20 tears old pays for a very healthy retirement. Just don't ask me to pay for it.

When do the Dallas Cowboys create an "NIL" for endorsement deals that are outside of NFL salary cap implications? Can the Cowboys low ball an offer to a guy like McCaffrey on a contract year with a "wink wink" that there is an endorsement deal with Joe's autoshop worth $10 million?
The NFL owners have no desire to do that. If they wanted to do this they could just get rid of the salary cap and start spending more on players.

Theoretically I guess.
How many will get $500 K though?
AND of that number, how many will invest it??

But whatever. The dummying down of the USA continues.
If your family is already well off, investing the money is a no brainer. But for most players you're not gonna buy ETFs with your NIL money when your mom is living paycheck to paycheck.. you're gonna buy her a house so she can stress about life a little less. And then some guys are gonna buy a bunch of cars too.

Any hope for college football?

Nope. It’s a victim of its own success. All tradition and rivalry becoming extinct. Stupid conference construction. It’s all about money. ADHD kids transfer schools at least once a year, so you don’t even have any sense of continuity with your team. It all really sucks. I don’t really enjoy it like I used to. It’s hard to care anymore. It’s pretty obvious that college football doesn’t care about the fans, so why should I care about it?

Any hope for college football?

Nope. It’s a victim of its own success.
All tradition and rivalry becoming extinct. Stupid conference construction. It’s all about money. ADHD kids transfer schools at least once a year, so you don’t even have any sense of continuity with your team. It all really sucks. I don’t really enjoy it like I used to. It’s hard to care anymore. It’s pretty obvious that college football doesn’t care about the fans, so why should I care about it?

This could have been avoided. A plan to pay players should have been developed a long time ago instead of giving million dollar contracts to coaches, and then more millions to fire them. Instead, this is what we have, Stanford in the ACC, UCLA in the Big 10. Pitt, PSU & WVU each in different conferences.

Reactions: Dan1911
You said the truth, Brother. I'll be in Zion National Park for the Kent State game and otherwise busy on most other Saturdays for home games the rest of the year. Even if I wasn't busy, going to a Pitt football game wouldn't be in my top 3 things to do that day. The sport the way it is now has turned me against it. I won't be sacrificing my Saturdays like I used to so I could watch any college football of any team. Let them make it a circus. I don't like clown shows.

to be clear, I still plan my vacation around bye weeks and won't miss a home game unless totally unavoidable (i.e. wedding, funerals, business trips). But watching a non-Pitt game on a Saturday night? Used to be I'd never go out and miss it. Now not so much.

Last edited:

That would be explicitly against the rules, and if they got caught doing that there would be huge repercussions.

And that's true in all salary cap leagues. For instance right now, the WNBA is investigating this very thing with the Las Vegas Aces. The Las Vegas tourist bureau (whatever they are called) signed endorsement contracts to pay every player on the team a large amount of money to be "ambassadors" for the city. For some of the players, the endorsement deal would be worth more than their salary. The league (and I am sure, the other teams) think that this is just a way to pay players more while circumventing the salary cap.

Reactions: Conemaugh
It's funny. We are going to deep creek this weekend with another family.

They know me as a diehard so the wife said. I made a reservation for this place at noon next Saturday, no tv's, the kids will love it!

I thought to myself wonder why she did that we have a house on the water, oh well, hopefully the kids enjoy it!

So I was like "thanks for doing that"

She then said I'm just joking the Pitt game will be on. I had no idea lol. Even 5 years ago I would have been planning the whole weekend around it making sure it was on tv etc.

Yeah there are probably 10-12 really serious baseball programs. Tennessee is one. Vandy. Miss State. LSU. Texas. USC. Florida.

It seems like the entire SEC is a force in college baseball.

Actually though, Tennessee has never really been known to care about baseball. Their facilities have always lagged way behind the rest of the SEC. (Hence the overdrive current $100 mil project to catch up, or surpass) And other than the hometown local phenom Todd Helton years, they have mostly sucked.

John Currie hires Tony Vitello and all that changed.

Last edited:
So, who will be the first GM/coach to clash because a high-profile coach disagrees with the GM? Which coach will hold both roles giving him control of all football related decisions.

The GM role seems redundant, I see this as a move by some football schools to strip the AD of all football-related decisions and pass them to a GM they control, whose sole focus is football.

I don't think it really works that way. The GM actually works for the HC and probably assists in any way the HC seems necessary, with the primary focus on recruiting (whatever that entails in today's climate). The GM is essentially part of the staff.

I think Lane Kiffin created a GM position when he took over at Ole Miss a few years back.

I don't think it really works that way. The GM actually works for the HC and probably assists in any way the HC seems necessary, with the primary focus on recruiting (whatever that entails in today's climate). The GM is essentially part of the staff.

I think Lane Kiffin created a GM position when he took over at Ole Miss a few years back.
That’s the Steeler way.

• Haha
Reactions: TD_6082
It seems like the entire SEC is a force in college baseball.

They had 11 teams make the NCAA tournament last season. The last time they had fewer than nine teams make it was in 2017, when they only had eight.

They care about baseball a lot more than almost everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT